Set Me Free. Oneshot.

Set Me Free. Oneshot.

A Story by
"

Oneshot - a one chapter story. With the song Set Me Free by Casting Crowns. :)

"
Mark.


I sat on my bed alone, my hands folded together as I continued to stare at the man in the mirror before me. This man was so dark, so full of the Devil, that I wanted to run and hide. Only I couldn't, for this man was me. I had finally become the monster I was afraid of becoming for all eternity. The darkness had stole my mind, it had chained my soul down so low, that I couldn't escape. I was trapped within the Devils' temptations and had begun sinning each and every day. I couldn't say that I was proud of who I was, I just couldn't stop. In fact, I wanted to change, I just couldn't find the strength, or even the courage to stand up to the Devil and walk away.

It was days such as these, that I remembered my brighter days. The days that had made life seem so perfect and beautiful. The days where I was so close to the Lord, it was as though no one could pull me down, no matter how hard they tried. It hadn't always been this way; I hadn't always let the darkness win.

But, this last time, it was just too much for me to handle. I was being hit from left to right, up and down, my whole world spinning before me. I couldn't stop what I was doing now, or what I was thinking. I was no longer in full control of myself. The Devil had total control over me.

It hasn't always been this way
I remember brighter days
Before the dark ones came
Stole my mind
Wrapped my soul in chains

Now, as I continued to stare at the disheveled image before me, - one so pixelated and torn - I felt myself going down again. Deeper and deeper, I continued to fall. Never did I truly rise, for the Devil had me and he was hanging onto all of me very tightly, unable to let me go. To set me free. Each day, I fought these voices in my head. They screamed at me, tortured me and drug me down, further and further. I was buried under the dirt, unable to rise out of it. I was defeated, that much was true. It was like I was a zombie without God now, the Devil had brought me too far down. I couldn't escape, no matter how many times I wanted to. I was among those that were without God, too.

The ones that had given up their fight, unable to find the determination to keep surviving the Devils' blows and trials. I cried out each night, hoping that someone would hear me. That someone would care enough to come rushing to my side. But, each night, I was disappointed and drug down further once more. No one was here to carry me away, just to pull me down to desperation, despair and to surround me with nothing but the darkness.

Now I live among the dead
Fighting voices in my head
Hoping someone hears me crying in the night
And carries me away
 

I wanted these chains to loosen their grip, so that I might have a chance to run, but they wouldn't. Couldn't. I even doubted that someone heard my cries, or even my pleas. I was so close to giving up, for it seemed like the easiest option out of them all. I prayed, I hoped, I wished that a Savior would come to set me free. I was tired of being trapped in this dirty life that I, myself, was ashamed of. I was barely hanging on, barely being able to breathe. The darkness had me held down too tightly, the chains cutting into my skin too harshly.

Set me free of the chains holding me
Is anybody out there hearing me?
Set me free

As another damp, dark day drags on, I grab my coat, I head outside. Though it is pouring down, I just don't feel the need to stay in my house much longer. I sit out alone, letting my dark thoughts consume me as these all too familiar tears stream down my cheeks without a care. I'm all alone now, all alone to face these demons that are cursing my soul. The helpers of the devil and the deceivers of Christ alone.

They tempt me to sin so much more than I'd ever imagine, they aren't capable of bringing me to life, just making me more like the dead by the minute. They stand by me now, their faces distorted, as they taunt me, slap me around, make me one of their slaves. Suddenly, a bright light shines down on me, as I shield my eyes. It's been so long since I've seen this light, it seems so foreign and unreal to me now. There's a Man coming towards me, but my mind just isn't getting the picture. I don't want to believe this is real, so I begin to rub my eyes, believing that it's all a trap. Another hallucination.

Unfortunately, the Man is beginning to come closer, as the demons cry out his Holy name. They shriek with a certain tone of despair, that my ears start to ring. Is this my Savior? Has someone finally come to set me free? Finally, as the darkness flees, I am filled with a specific light like no other. My mind finally registers, as realization hits me hard, leaving me speechless and gasping for breath. 

Morning breaks another day
Finds me crying in the rain
All alone with my demons I am
Who is this man that comes my way?
The dark ones shriek
They scream His name
Is this the One they say will set the captives free?
Jesus, rescue me

Finally, as the Man approaches me, He stares me straight in the eye and I cringe away. It's as though He's seen through my very soul, my very core and He just knows what I've been doing all of these years. I've been deceiving the very one who used to set me free. All darkness is suddenly gone, for the Devil and his helpers have fled for their lives.

As the God man passes by
He looks straight through my eyes
And darkness cannot hide

"Do you want to be free?" He suddenly asks, light pouring out all over me, the rain itself, barely noticeable. I find myself unable to talk, as I stare, agape, at this Man. There was no way on Earth that He was asking me this. I had betrayed Him for all of these years, allowing myself to continue sinning by the minute. Now, suddenly, He was asking me if I wanted to be free?

"Lift your chains, My precious child, for I hold the key alone. All of the power on Heaven and Earth belong to the very One that stands before you now. Your Creator and Father in Heaven, sent down to this Earth to free you of your chains. To set your soul free. Is this what you want?" I gulped, soaking in His words. I couldn't believe how merciful and forgiving He was being. No one had tried to set me free ever since I've become this monster I am now. I could only manage a nod, feeling sudden weight lift off my shoulders.

My heart soared in my chest, pounding frantically like it was the very first time I've came alive. I had finally rose from the dirt, awakened from the dead. I was now free and it was all because of the very One that I had immensely decieved. As I turned to thank Him, He was already gone, leaving only the sounds of the cold, soothing rain left in my ears. As I strained them, it was as though I could hear a certain voice whispering its' last dedication to me.

Do you want to be free?
Lift your chains
I hold the key
All power on Heav'n and Earth belong to me

Something inside of me struck with what felt like a lightning bolt. I froze, dead in my tracks, as I repeated the words over in my head. Weren't those the words that escaped the Lords' mouth just moments ago? I felt like returning to home, but, instead of sulking, I ran.

I threw my wet coat inside and rushed to my room, opening up my Bible instantly. Something was tugging at my hurt, but I ignored it, no longer being tempted by the Devil and his darkness. Light had won the battle over all, for I was now back on the winning side. As I began to read from the very start, from the Gospels of John, I heard a voice whisper to me, as though someone was standing right beside me.

You are free
You are free
You are free

As I thought more and more on this, a full smile was finally plastered on my face. I knelt before my bed and began to pray like I had never prayed before. In disclosure, I couldn't quit thanking the Lord for setting me free for once and all.

© 2010


Author's Note

Ignore grammar problems.
Be honest, please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good and so well written x)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really liked this you put alot into this write.
I love all the emotions you put into this.
This is very well written and expressed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

553 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2010
Last Updated on December 16, 2010

Author


Writing
Escape. Escape.

A Story by


Can You Hear Them? Can You Hear Them?

A Poem by



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Something Real. Something Real.

A Poem by