NEON LIGHTS

NEON LIGHTS

A Chapter by M. L. F.
"

JUST A PROLOGUE AND FIRST TWO OR THREE PAGES / OPENING OF THE NOVEL.

"

 LOOKING GLASS LAKE




















looking glass
noun
noun: looking glass; plural noun: looking glasses
     a mirror.
        "She stared at her reflection in the looking glass lake"

  •          opposite to what is normal or expected.
            modifier noun: looking-glass
             "looking-glass logic"










CHAPTER ONE

NEON LIGHTS




Some people's scars are the color of wine, some people's - shadows - white, but not mine; my scars were neon lights.  I stood and watched him cross the little space that separates in less than two steps, closing the gap until the gap was no longer, and we were no longer estranged. His nose grazed my nose. I drew in a air, and with it the sweetness of the coconut oil he rinsed with, warm on my lips like sugared wind. I breathed it.  In.  Out.  In.  His face one foot away, his gun, the only thing between us now.  I was prepared for this, after all, prepared for this to happen for so, so long. He was the type they warned us about in training, and clearly I hadn't heed the warnings. Here I was, clearly in love. Outside a cold winter storm thundered.  I could hear the winds screaming through the naked trees.  I could see the drops clinging to the glass walls over his shoulder; gold Christmas lights glittering on the droplets that slid down the cold glass. I watched the droplets light and crawl on the glass like the lightning bugs I caught on humid summer nights as a little girl.  And as I stared past the gun, passed his hand, it was suddenly all that I could see, my father and I catching moonbeams, caging lightning in jars the summer of eighty seven, the last summer I would see his hands grasp the lightning, or anything ever again. I gazed ahead and thought, What a glorious way to go.


Even in Hell’s grasp, I couldn’t help seeing the gorgeous landscape of Holland; the springtime version where I met him, a version lost in time.  I saw us walking our dogs that day in the lush green panorama that pushed at Heaven without asking God, with no guilt.  I could smell the cool air that stunk of pine and cedar wood, see the heavy leaves that hung in loose strands, and the looking glass lake that cast the setting sun’s light back up to Heaven.  Contrasts of apocalyptic orange and green that I would never see again.


One year later and here I stood.  The same landscape coaxing me again, it whispered, goading the tear that was caged in my lashes, thick and wet, and I’ll never erase the words that escaped next.


"Say it”, I whispered.  


“Say what?”


“That you want to see them?”


“See what?” He said.  


But I knew he knew.  His hand was shaking, the nose of the gun quivered too as though it were vibrating.  The sadness in his eyes was palpable.  I could read him in a dark room, peruse his heart like braille.  I could hear his thoughts - and he knew it.  He had been asking for over a year to learn all that had happened to me, and now, like this, near death, I was suddenly freed to tell him.  


Everything.  


We stared, eye to eye, stone cold, as the tip of his gun, touched the tip of my nose, and that lone tear unleashed and sped past my nose too quickly to stop. Though I wished I could rewind time, and siphon both the tear and the words back up and in like breath so it wouldn’t be the very last thing he heard and saw.  


My weakness.  


And suddenly, staring at my own tangible end, after learning him, studying him for an entire year of my life, it was my job, after all, I realized that I was in love with “the subject”.  This was taught early on in training, to avoid this scenario at all costs.  Standing here now, hoping not to die, I understood precisely why.  How could I have been so stupid?  And yet it didn’t stop me from wanting to show him everything I had been hiding, even more still, even as I stared at the death.  I let the rest of the tears I had caged spill down like the storm that pelted the glass walls of the spectacular house we now called home.  His eyes never left mine, they were locked.  And I knew he knew, I was finally going to show him what he wanted to see more than anything.


My neon scars…


Still wearing the slip I’d slept in, I noticed the strap on the left shoulder starting to slide down.  I saw his eyes cut to his right to watch it slowly descending.  When he did, I took a chance, a split second instinct from training took over and I swiveled left and down, swatting the gun to the right.  It flew across the study and landed on the hardwood floor with a thud, then slid into the north facing wall of glass, beaded with heavy rain.  He whipped around and grasped me by my wrists and began to walk me backward until my backside touched the desk and he continued his momentum until my back bent in an arch, my feet still touching the floor.  His nose was now one inch from mine.  He hovered there as if he were frozen.  Time crept backward again in my mind and I closed my eyes to smell the sweet coconut again for the first time, remembering that first sugared kiss.  The heat between us was nothing short of electrical.  I remember thinking I was going to short circuit as his lips hovered over mine, tracing side to side.


The tease…


My head was exploding, that much I recalled, just as it was now.  It was almost too intense to endure and I actually felt a chill rising up from my toes that made me shudder as though I was sitting outside in the snow in nothing but shorts and a t-shirt… I looked in his eyes.  I could see he was waiting, waiting for me to start talking.  I knew what he wanted to hear and I knew what I needed so badly to tell.  My mouth opened suddenly and the voice that came out was both calm and ferocious all at the same time…


“When I was ten years old my father ran away for the first time”, I forced my mouth to say, teeth slightly grit, eyes tearing up.


“Running?”  He asked.  "Tell me, Gabrielle, what was he running from?"


“Ghosts”


He pressed against me harder and his lips began to trace over mine again as he had that very first kiss.  He knew this act literally hypnotized me, and with it, he could have me.  With it, he would bend me, he, the archer, I - the bow.  I would answer anything like this….   


“What sort of ghosts?”  He asked, pressing me harder against the wood grain top.


I was trying to wiggle loose when the second wave of coconut wind escaped his lips and floated into my nostrils with his words; those fumes, his lips still hovering, lusting, wet, leaving me helpless, or at least making me wish I was.  I let my eyes slip closed again as the trance-like state ensued, and I fused his questions and answers together in my head like axons welding telegrams to neurotransmitters..





© 2017 M. L. F.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You create this world of tension, of suspense, infusing it with the very scent of your characters and drawing us onto the edge of their living fire. The past is awakened, the present trembling, and the future left in the hunger of the wild moments. So powerfully stirring to heart and soul, the lingering need for more. xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Excellent. Looking forward is always a good direction.. Especially when positive things are ahead. .. read more
Echoes of Eros

7 Years Ago

Yes, true. And I always tend to trip and fall when I keep looking back. ;
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Ha... Good point! ;)



Reviews

Wonderfully written, full of interest and intrigue, evoking a past and quivering with the tension of the present, the mystery of their relationship, the heat of desire, the waft of coconut fragrance.

You grabbed my grabbed my attention, stirred my imagination and worked on me to make me want more...

Posted 6 Years Ago


Your writing is very powerful and evocative. Nice contrasts of stacatto "In. Out. In" and much longer more complex sentences. The mood created is palpable.

Critique-wise: If this is going to be a full length novel, think about your target audience. If you keep this powerful style throughout, you will appeal to the literary end of the spectrum, but may be a bit heavy for the mass market. That's not bad either way, just something to consider.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Nicely done! A lot of tension here...great imagery...you pull the reader into the story and hold them there. I loved the line: warm on my lips like sugared wind.

I don't know what sugared wind is...but it sounds wonderful...and it evoked all the right emotion.


Posted 7 Years Ago


You create this world of tension, of suspense, infusing it with the very scent of your characters and drawing us onto the edge of their living fire. The past is awakened, the present trembling, and the future left in the hunger of the wild moments. So powerfully stirring to heart and soul, the lingering need for more. xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Excellent. Looking forward is always a good direction.. Especially when positive things are ahead. .. read more
Echoes of Eros

7 Years Ago

Yes, true. And I always tend to trip and fall when I keep looking back. ;
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Ha... Good point! ;)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
Yeah that's hot! I like it a lot. Alluring writing, precise and measured. I love the low lying darkness and appreciate the subtle seduction/innuendo. Flirting not only with the possible finality of the situation but that whole 'just f**k me already" scenario (sorry I just dirtied up this already very average review)
The pace is appreciated my friend! Page turner for real! Delicious, dark, intriguing wee tease! Fly....Starz x

Posted 7 Years Ago


Still hungover at 9am, but this passage flows quite well, paired with certain words and descriptive imagery to capture this almost as if it were a film. Some apocalyptic references that make sense pertaining to what's currently occurring in this chapter.

I would remove the words "sugared", though maybe that word just disturbs my male dignity...

The dialogue needs a little editing in my honest opinion, it gets a bit close to sounding too melodramatic.

Otherwise, very good job!

I di

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

Thanks, lol, talk to you tomorrow.
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Hmm.. yes..tbh the dialogue and proper spacing of it is the last thing to conquer for me these days... read more
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Sugared wind... disturbs your male dignity? Ha!! Lol... Now I will NEVER change it :) ...
Misty,
Seductive opening to your story. Nice balance of threat of violence and possible lovemaking. Great combo to own the readers interest and keep the pages turning. Your words created great imagery. Anyone will want to read more, nice job.
Richie b.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Ahh!! Reviews like this honestly make me feel euphoric.. like being on ecstasy.. (Not that I would k.. read more
richieb

7 Years Ago

Misty,
You deserve the encouragement. Writing is similar to mining f.. read more
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

I'll never stop, no worries. I write read and write four hours a night when the rest of the mortals.. read more
I'm interested enough now in this that I would like to read what comes next. It's clearly fleshed out...the where, when, who, and what of it all. Someone mentioned the presentment of formal traits as per your characters, and he or she has a point of it, but it does not detract anything from the chapter as is. A solid character is more important than how they appear...is my take 'bout it. I liked the bit about scars being as neon lights, too. Nice touch. Once again, thanks for the invite.
Gaiya.

Posted 7 Years Ago


M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Lol... 2 for 2 tonight.. You missed my authors note.. Ha! This is only the prologue and first 2.5 p.. read more
Deco

7 Years Ago

I sure did, now when i think about. But like I said, (and yes, so far so good) I do want to know wha.. read more
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Awww.. That's all that matters. :) You are not the first person to miss it tonight, so no worries. .. read more
So far so good, Misty! I really like this teaser! You created a vivid image. Can't wait for more :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Ahhh... Gullia.. thanks! So glad it pulled your interest.. that's my hope. :)
..Misty
Hello Misty, quite a teaser you have written here, finely told with clarity.The intro, setting, characters, and the subject matter for this chapter is very well expressed and emphasized. I'm not much on the constructive side, but Ill share a thing or two about the substance of this piece.

Being the first chapter, you did quite well narrating/writing the set up of this story. Your poetic pen is present and it gave more volume to your story telling. Although you have said all you have to say, this chapter is a bit short in my opinion.

Also, you introduced your characters personally, even intimately, but not formally, such as age, physical appearance, profession, etc. that would give us an image of who they are. But then I got a feeling you'll do all that on the next chap. and maybe perhaps a little more dialog as well..

You are off to a great start and I'm looking forward for the next installation. very cool. Thanks EG

Posted 7 Years Ago


M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Oh lol... you missed the author's note.. this is only the prologue / first 2.5 opening pages of chap.. read more
E G TEN

7 Years Ago

Oh snaps" and there I was acting like I knew everything :D:D. My apologies,,, but please do send th.. read more
M. L. F.

7 Years Ago

Hahaa!! LOL... Much thanks EG.. ;) That awkward moment when..🤔..joking😂😂👍 i will surel.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

936 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 12, 2017
Last Updated on November 11, 2017


Author

M. L. F.
M. L. F.

American writer in the Netherlands....



About
"True suspense, true... terror, doesn't jump in your face with a hockey mask. No, no...It starts very, very slowly, creeping up your spine and into the space where your hair trickles onto your neck.".. more..

Writing
TRUST TRUST

A Poem by M. L. F.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Bridging Love Bridging Love

A Poem by SZHZIA


Her Her

A Poem by Giulia King