Chapter 4: The Return

Chapter 4: The Return

A Chapter by WriterGirl247247
"

Amy starts to learn about her real life.

"

We drove for hours. Susan took abandoned and dirt packed back roads to lose anyone that was following us. But there wasn't.

I was numb. I just watched my entire life implode. The people I thought loved me tried to kill me. And the people that actually loved me I couldn't even remember. I had a life. And someone decided to take it all away.

The worst part? It wasn't like I could step back into my actual life and nothing would change. My parents were gone. I was a Phantom, and I was their leader. Me? Lead? I was a nobody with the leadership skills of a potato. Suffice to say, I was screwed.

Susan picked up on that. She tried to get me to talk, to open up, or show any hint of a human reaction. Instead I stared out the window.

Here she was, trying to cheer me up after saving my life, and I ignored her. I wanted to thank her, show her I would be okay, and maybe admit that I finally had someone who seemed to care about me. But the words wouldn't come. So we drove on in silence.

After a couple of hours, we got back onto the main road. We jumped onto the highway. Cars whizzed past as we sped by. I let the white noise drown out my buzzing thoughts. At least, I try.

We stopped at a car dealership a few hours later. Susan parked behind the building, where no cars or people could be seen.

She reached into the backseat and grabbed two duffel bags. She tossed one to me.

“Change of clothes,” Susan explained. “We’ll stick out like thumbs otherwise.”

I simply nodded.

She nodded to the building. “You can use the bathroom in there. When you're done just wait for me at the door.”

I opened the door to get out but stopped. I turned back to her. “You're not coming?” It was the few words I had said since we escaped from Rooker Springs.

I caught the small grin on her face, the one she tried and failed to hide. She motioned to her fatigues. “Can't exactly walk around dressed like this. I’ll change in the car. I’ll meet you at the door. I have to do something, anyways.”

I gave another nod. I climbed out and gave my legs a much-needed stretch.

I walked inside and went straight into the bathroom. In seconds my school uniform littered the tile floor. It was replaced by a white tee shirt, grey hoodie, and dark jeans. I shoved my uniform into the bag and hurried outside.

I waited at the door, fidgety. Susan was nowhere to be seen. A few minutes passed and still nothing. Where was she? Did she ditch me? Did she save me only to strand me somewhere, lost and confused?

As these thoughts rattled in my head, I spotted her. She had changed as well-- she wore jeans like mine, a blue and black checkered blouse, and a Chicago Cubs baseball cap. She was talking to a salesman from across the lot. They chuckled, then shook hands. The salesman handed her a pair of keys. Once he walked away, Susan turned and-- once she saw me-- waved me over.

Did she just buy a car?

I crossed the lot. She stood next to the new car. It was sleeker and slightly smaller than the other, and this one was slate gray.

“Did you just buy this?” I asked when I reached her.

She nodded. “It’ll help us disappear.”

“And you just bought it without blinking an eye? This is a nice car. How could you even afford it?”

“Remember how I mentioned your parents created a software company?”

“Yeah…?”

“They set aside a fund for the Phantoms, untraceable so we can get any equipment we need. The rest they gave to you.”

I started to nod again, then stopped. “Wait. You mean I’m… I’m rich?”

She chuckled. “Pretty much. Come on, we need to get back on the road. Still have a way to go.”

Susan hopped into the car. I followed. Now I was rich. Guess I couldn’t argue with that, could I? And it was the most normal thing to happen so far. That was saying something.

We drove non-stop after that, only stopping to fill up on gas. The hours dragged on in silence. The sun slowly went down. It dipped behind the horizon, then disappeared completely. The countless taillights ahead kept us from driving off the otherwise darkened highway. Every now and then I caught Susan glimpse in the rearview mirror. She was ancy. She wanted to get wherever we were headed as soon as possible. But where was that?

A few minutes later, I straightened in my seat and swallowed hard. Questions have burned in my mind all day. And they have only multiplied over time. Waiting just made it worse. A part of me knew I wouldn’t like it. But I needed to know, either way.

“Did I have any siblings?” I asked suddenly. “Were they with my parents when... when it happened?”

Susan looked over at me, surprised by my sudden outspokenness. After a moment, she overcame her shock and shook her head. “No, you're an only child,” she finally answered.

I swallowed again. I felt a little relieved. One part of my life was the same. And it meant I didn’t lose someone else.

I forced myself to continue. “And my parents? When? When did they...?”

“Three years ago,” Susan answered quietly.

“So… you think I'll eventually remember them?”

“Yeah, definitely. They were amazing people.”

I sat up straighter, if that was even possible at this point. “You knew them?”

She grinned. “Yeah, we’ve been friends since we were eight. You guys actually took me in. After my parents…” Susan faltered. Her grin was wiped away. She cleared her throat. “Well, it's a long story. And a bad one.”

The silence returned. Susan clenched the wheel with an iron like grip. Whatever it was, it struck a nerve. And a big one at that.

I’m curious, but I don’t push. She’s done so much for me. And probably more that I don’t remember. So I break the silence again and change the subject.

“So what were my parents like?” I asked.

The grin returned-- smaller now, but still there. “They were great. Smart, kind people. Just like you. Your mom was one of the most compassionate people I've ever met. Very loving and nurturing. And your dad was a regular comedian. He would do anything for a laugh.” Susan laughed. “One time, he tried to use a joy buzzer on one of the board of directors, but he just ended up shocking himself.”

I laughed, not being able to help myself. “They sound amazing.”

“They were,” she agreed. “And they made sure everything would keep going long after they were gone.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

Susan explained. With my parents’ charities, they knew powerful people: celebrities, company heads, politicians, even a few heads of government. There was a general they befriended and got close to. Some time after they exposed the crooked business man, the general approached them. He admitted that he knew they were behind it. But instead of arresting them, he did something surprising. He encouraged them. The general explained that these people-- those that were untouchable-- needed to be brought down. But that only someone in the shadows could do it. And so the Phantoms came to be. My parents had the funds and technology, but needed more people. So the general slid them names of veterans and newly discharged soldiers who still wanted to serve. All good men and women, a few even decorated and some wounded. My parents recruited them all into the Phantoms. The wounded vets were given jobs in whatever suited them best-- surveillance and intelligence, technology, or training new recruits. The able bodied were assigned to the field, acting as soldiers and occasionally spies. My parents outfitted them with high-tech tranquilizer guns. They would hit a target, knock them out, grab any intel, and leave the crooks for the cops.

Susan finished by telling how my parents brought in respected scientists, technicians, and doctors to round out the team. Everyone was spread out in countless bases across the world. Each base was outfitted with a helicopter, ready to go anywhere on a moment’s notice.

It didn’t sound like a team. It sounded more like a small army.

“So it’s you, me, and a bunch of retired soldiers?” I asked.

“No,” she answered. “There’s a few others around our age. We all work as a team.”

“Who are they?”

“Can’t tell you.”          

“Why? And don’t even try using ‘It’s classified’ as an excuse.”

“Our doctors want you to remember as much as possible on your own. Something about being healthier on your brain-- there’s a medical term for it, but it’s way too long and really hard to pronounce.”

“So I’m going to be kept in solitary confinement until my memory is back?”

“No. We’re just letting you fill in the blanks. You’ll still meet everyone when we get there.”

“And when will that be?”

Susan looked ahead and smiled. “Soon.”  

I looked ahead and saw it all. I lost my breath.

Monstrous skyscrapers rose from the horizon. Their glass and steel exteriors were lit up and illuminated the dark night. Tower upon tower loomed over the bustling city below, almost appearing as it's guardians. They were spread out across their domain, but refused to be ignored. Each skyscraper was different from the next-- some rose straight and erect into the sky, while others narrowed as they reached the top. But all were uniform in their beauty.

“Wow… ” I trailed off.

“We try,” Susan remarked. “Any of this look familiar?”

At first, I thought she was talking about regained memories. Then I see Sears Tower amongst the bushel of skyscrapers.    

“Wait. This is Chicago,” I realized.   

“Bingo,” she affirmed. “We've got our main base here.”

Within a few minutes the skyscrapers surrounded us. I gawked out the window in complete awe as we drive. I always wanted to visit somewhere like this, to trade in Rooker Springs for something else. And now it was spread out around me.

I tried to take in as much of Chicago as I could despite my heavy and weary eyes fighting against me. Lights seemed to be aglow everywhere. I strained my next up to see the John Hancock Center above us. We passed Buckingham Fountain, the tranquilizing waters not helping me stay awake. Loud and excited cheers echoed through the car, and I realized how close we were to Wrigley Field. This city was so full of life and energy, unlike my own. It was beautiful.

Susan pulled up in front of a skyscraper and parked along the curb.

“Here we are,” Susan said as she emerged from the car. “Home sweet home.”

I climbed out and sized up the building. “Home? This is an office building. Not an apartment complex.”

She laughed. “Look at the sign, Amy.”

I did and finally noticed the chrome lettering that snaked across the side of the building.

“The Lakes Worldwide Foundation?” I read.

“It's the main and biggest charity your parents founded,” she explained. “This is its headquarters. And hours too. Come on, I'll show you around.”

She led me inside. The building’s towering presence outside paled in comparison to the lobby. Extravagant tile covered the floor in a criss cross pattern. Expensive furniture was scattered about. Ornate paintings hung from the walls. The ceiling stretched far, far above our heads. It looked like someone tried to outdo a Hilton. And succeeded.

I lived here?

A thought crossed my mind at the sight of the lobby. I turned to Susan. “You said I was rich, right? Exactly, uh, how rich are we talking about?”

She shrugged while wearing a coy smile. “Depends. How rich would you be when your parents' company rivals Microsoft and Apple?”

I instantly paled. Susan noticed. “You alright?” she asked worriedly.

“Yeah,” I answered after a moment. “I was just mentally picking out which Ferrari I'm going to get.”

“You're getting another one?”

“Serious?!”

“No! You have us. And we're better than a Ferrari.” She winked.

I smiled. Even though it was a joke, I was starting to think she was right.

A voice suddenly boomed across the lobby. “AMY!!!”

I turned to see a man thunder toward us from across the lobby. He wore a pristine gray suit that matched his salt and pepper hair. Thick framed glasses balanced along the bridge of his nose. His face was an alarmingly deep shade of red, and he seemed with each step.

“Crap! I thought he was gone,” Susan muttered.

“Who?” I asked in my ever present state of confusion.

“Your uncle Greg,” she answered hurriedly. “He's running the company until you graduate from college. But he doesn't know about the Phantoms, so follow my lead and play along.”

My uncle finally reached us, and he came inches away from my face. His green eyes drilled holes into me.

“Well, look who's finally come back,” Greg huffed. “Leaves without any notice for some sort of ‘vacation’. As if you need a vacation. And for a year? Without any communication at all? Extremely irresponsible-- especially for someone in your position. Your parents would be ashamed.” He spat the last words with as much venom and as he could muster.

I floundered. I didn't even know who this guy was, yet he seethed with anger and his eyes were full of hate. I didn't know how to respond without shooting myself in the foot.

Luckily, Susan came to my rescue. “Everyone needs a break now and then. You know, get away from it all. The important thing is that she's back and here to stay. The past is the past.”

Greg took a step back. Some of the redness began to dissipate. I didn't think he believed her, he just realized he was fighting a pointless battle.

“Fine,” he sighed. “But I hope this means you're done gallivanting with your…” He cast a sideways glance at Susan. “...Friends and focus more on your studies. Not everyone has the responsibilities you do. It's time you start acting like it.”

“I'll make sure--” Susan began.

“I wasn't talking to you,” Greg cut her off, briskly. “Or is Amy now unable to speak for herself?”

I gulped. I wanted to look to Susan for help but knew that would just make it worse. So instead I said the first thing that came to mind.

“I will. I'm-- uh-- just checking up on everything here before I hit the books,” I managed.

That seemed to work, because Greg's face reddened even less and his anger died away. For now.

“Hmm... I'll admit I'm impressed,” he said quietly. “Maybe you finally learned some responsibility on your little trip.”

He straightened himself and checked his watch. “And now I'm late for the meeting. Make sure she stays out of trouble, Miss Wright.” My uncle turned and walked out through the lobby doors without another word.

Susan took a breath beside me. I did the same. I didn't even realize I was holding my breath.

“Well, he’s…” I started.

Susan finished my sentence. “Horrible?”

“Yes!” I exclaimed. At least it wasn’t just me. “He’s a complete jerk.”

She shrugged. “Everyone feels the same if that helps. We all have to put up with him.”

I groaned. Away from one messed up family, and into another. “I can't believe he's my uncle. No other family? Anyone but him?”

She shook her head. “No, sorry. But we'll help you deal with him.”

I grunted in response. At least I didn't have to face him alone.

She nodded to the elevator. “Let's get you upstairs before anything else happens.”

We jumped into the elevator without having anyone else scream at us. Once the doors slid shut, Susan pulled out a card from her pocket. She then slid it into a small, barely noticeable slot in the wall right above the buttons-- something that I failed to notice. A section of the wall slid back to reveal a new button above the rest, this one bearing a star symbol. Susan pressed it and the elevator began to rise.

Susan must've seen might jaw hit the floor. “We make sure only Phantoms can access the top ten floors. Don't need Greg or anyone else stumbling onto them.”

“What's so special about the top ten floors?” I asked.

Then the doors opened.

My jaw dropped back down to the floor.



© 2016 WriterGirl247247


Author's Note

WriterGirl247247
Please review and comment. And please guess what you think will happen next. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's always a pleasure to read such an imaginative story and follow it as it goes along.

Leadership skills of a potatoe - lmfao!!! - Genius and brilliant.

Your dialogue skills flow with ease, never clunking- they just flow.
I liked the part where they we're getting change, I could feel alot of tension building in this scene.
The untraceable software - very unique i have to say.
Brilliantly exceuted with the background of the parents, well thought out and written.

Lakes worldwide foundation - what a cool name you have there.

The uncle is horrible...yes.

You know how to do killer endings just like me and that's what keeps the reader coming back for more. I adore this story and want number 5.
Your words flow so well and your paragraphing is just right.

Excellent piece of work.

Mark.


Change this....Still have a ways to go.
To this..........Still have a way to go.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl247247

7 Years Ago

As always, thank you. Means more than you know. :)



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nia
oh no, im here wanting more but there is no chapter 5! im excited to see what you follow chapter 4 with, thank you for your entertainment! please write more soon-i have so much i want to know!


Posted 6 Years Ago


It's always a pleasure to read such an imaginative story and follow it as it goes along.

Leadership skills of a potatoe - lmfao!!! - Genius and brilliant.

Your dialogue skills flow with ease, never clunking- they just flow.
I liked the part where they we're getting change, I could feel alot of tension building in this scene.
The untraceable software - very unique i have to say.
Brilliantly exceuted with the background of the parents, well thought out and written.

Lakes worldwide foundation - what a cool name you have there.

The uncle is horrible...yes.

You know how to do killer endings just like me and that's what keeps the reader coming back for more. I adore this story and want number 5.
Your words flow so well and your paragraphing is just right.

Excellent piece of work.

Mark.


Change this....Still have a ways to go.
To this..........Still have a way to go.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WriterGirl247247

7 Years Ago

As always, thank you. Means more than you know. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

308 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 3, 2016
Last Updated on November 5, 2016
Tags: spy, thriller, action, mystery


Author

WriterGirl247247
WriterGirl247247

About
Starting writer that is completely her first book. more..

Writing
Safe Safe

A Story by WriterGirl247247



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..