Listening To Raindrops

Listening To Raindrops

A Story by WriterMe
"

Read a small piece in a book. Gave me an idea.

"

Drop. Drop. Drop.

I opened my eyes to the sullen sound of rain hitting the glass of the window pane. I snuggled closer into my pillow and watched rain drops as they slid down the misty glass in rivulets, to suddenly disappear over the edge.

I slightly shuffled, trying to stretch in bed, but found myself unable to move around

Then I remembered.

With my hands curled up on either side of me, his hands were securely wrapped around my waist.

I smiled.

It had to be at least seven thirty in the morning and the rain from last night still hadn’t stopped. Unconsciously, I looked down at the light blue shirt he let me wear for the night. Another smile played on my lips as I made a mental note to thank Stacy for not being able to pick me up.

“I am so sorry! I can’t pick you up. The rain is just crazy out here. I can’t even step out of the house!”

I began mentally calculating. If I got up, he would definitely wake up too, and refuse to go back to sleep. Sleep didn’t come to him so often and he wasn’t modest enough to doze back off. And yesterday was exhausting for both of us. The meeting, our presentation, his car breaking down, a mile long walk under the heavy rain...

So without a choice, I happily stayed where I was and continued to watch the rain falling down the side of the window.

Softly, he groaned beside me and pulled me closer in his sleep. Unaware of the fact of what he had just done, as my back slowly collided with his chest.

Gently, I turned around to look at him.

He looked so peaceful. Slow breath escaped his lips and a day old beard began surfacing across the side of his squared jaw. His closed eyes were gently moving from left to right and clearly it looked as if he were dreaming.

I turned my head to its former position facing away and suddenly froze as he groaned again. This time, he brought one of his hand across me and found my fingers, automatically entwining them together. His warm hands thawing my frozen fingers with just one touch.

Silently I giggled to myself. I wonder what he was dreaming about.

Closing my eyes for a brief moment, I opened them to find dull rays of sunlight peeking through the thick curtains in our dimly lit room. The light fell on a little spot in my hand. Glittering, as it focused on an engagement ring on my finger, and again I couldn’t help smiling.

Thinking about how he proposed, awkwardly bending on one knee, and bringing out a black velvet box.

“Will you marry me?”

Instinctively, I shuffled closer to him at that thought. I could feel his breath down my neck and I slightly shivered, touching the tips of my toes against the thick quilt that cover us.

The sound of the rain was still imminent and the soft breaths he took, made everything around me mute down to these two things. The cold, gray room, his hands around me, the ring…

 I found myself happily sighing. Moments like this when the entire world seemed perfect was hard to describe. Moments when you wished time would just stop and you would be stuck in that small space of oblivious happiness forever.

Moment like this…

Slower than before, I turned my head to face his and before I knew what I was doing, I placed a soft kiss on his lips.

“I love you” I whispered, touching the tip of my frozen nose to the base of his neck. Not caring whether he heard it or not. I knew he loved me more than anyone.

In a matter of seconds his lips formed into a lazy smile of their own and he pulled me closer, my head on the side of his chest and his hand around my back.

“I love you too”

I smiled into his crumpled shirt. Wishing such spells of simple joy would appear in the future bits of our life together. However small, however insignificant, such periods proving that no matter how rough life would lead to be, someone’s love is all you need to get through.

So we just laid there. Nestled together in the warmth of love. Listening to the dull pitter patter of raindrops, soothing us to blissful sleep. 

 

 

© 2009 WriterMe


Author's Note

WriterMe
So once again the rainy weather has managed to bring out my romantic side, which i must admit, mostly I am not. Please tell me what you think =]
Any form of suggestions and comments are welcomed =]

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is so sweet. It made me smile. :)

The scene in its entirety is very soothing and pretty to imagine...two lovers cuddling together on a rainy morning. Adding rain into scenes like this always adds a sense of warmth to the characters under the blankets. It's a very...innocent, loving piece. Lots of emotion. I almost feel like I'm the main character and I'm lying right there beneath that quilt. I love it.

The only suggestion I have for improvement would be to perhaps read over it and check for tense consistency. The majority of it is written in past tense, but there are a few places where it randomly switches to present tense.

Very nice! Keep up the excellent work! ^^

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

oh this is beautiful! It's so sweet!!! I personally think rain is just so romantic, so that fact that you created this around it made it even better. It's just such a special moment between two people. i love it! Good work!:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, this is a really heart warming and sweet piece...the atmosphere, the picturisation, the emotion.... it was simply superb! Very romantic, a great write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the description of the rain and setting in the beginning. It makes you feel as if you are the one seeing the rain. Your descriptions thoughout the story of the characters' actions are also vivid and detailed, letting readers feel as if they are the ones in the scene.

Your story gave me a warm, tingly feeling. The romance was great and you could clearly tell that they love each dearly. =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


My fav piece outta all ur works. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really enjoyed this piece of writing, and found myself smiling along with the narrator of this story. It is well written, and quite romantic. I love how we find more about her as the story progresses, and I see much potential if you chose to add on, or expland this story, even though it is amazing as it is. My only suggestion would be to maybe describe the lover a bit more, go into details of the little moments that did make her smile.

Posted 14 Years Ago


WoW is all i have to say about this piece of writing. The time you spent to capture each detail is well rewarded here. I honestly can say i have lived in time like this and you nailed it. Writing from the heart is a good thing and i really think you do this well. Although my writings are more dark in nature i can say that i would trade those in anytime to write something as beautiful and heartfelt as this. By far one of the best pieces of writing i've read in my life and that's saying a lot. You feed the imagery right to the reader and guide them helplessly to the end with a smile on their face. Excellent work and i give praise to you for taking the time to write this art work. Just amazing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is an incredible sweet piece. :] I'm a lover of rain, so the title literally grabbed my attention, and then the story itself, I absolutely fell in love with. Are you sure you aren't a romantic? Because you capture the feelings with such incredible talent! I feel so privileged to have been able to read it; thank you so much for entering it in my contest. I think we have a finalist here; I'm sure of it, in fact.

~Jade Mayhew

Posted 14 Years Ago


Are you sure you're not a romantic?

I love these simple moments in life when you know that being with the one you love is all you need to make things seem perfect, at least for a little while. People wonder why I like the rain. I just think it's so serene. Where other people see drearyness, I see cleansing; a fresh, smiling beginning.

Nice job.

Frozen Angel

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ahh. So relaxing.. Nothing better than a dip in a warm pool of love and sweetness. Your story makes me wanna hug somebody :D

Posted 14 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

943 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on September 7, 2009
Last Updated on September 7, 2009

Author

WriterMe
WriterMe

India



About
You know its funny how I have been on this site for nearly three years and never bothered to change the About me? And the funniest part if it all was how you read your before About me and smile at how.. more..

Writing
Closed Book Closed Book

A Poem by WriterMe


Inhibition Inhibition

A Story by WriterMe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..