I Truly Believe People Want To Be Kind

I Truly Believe People Want To Be Kind

A Poem by Alex Richards
"

This isn't a poem it's more of a social commentary. Warning the term 'Kind people' is used loosely and used to mean a specific type of person.

"

I truly believe people want to be kind. But that’s different from it truly existing. What I’ve found is that most people aren’t kind. Most of the people reading this won’t go out of their way to help someone push their car or eat a bad meal so that they can give money/ food to a homeless person. Most people I’ve met feel that it’s a dog-eat-dog world out there and if you don’t beat them first then they’ll beat you. The same people will call another an a*****e if they don’t let them have some of their beer, even though the same person tried to steal it in the first place. There is a paradox in this “dog-eat-dog” thought process. Since it can only exist if everyone believes it exists, cease believing and we see change. I know people who would happily crush my self-esteem to get some themselves; now, although I distance myself from these individuals for my own happiness, I do not blame them.


Firstly they’ve most likely been brought up to believe this solution is the most effective, either through experience or taught by important figures in childhood.


Secondly, they are too caught up in their own existence to consider the possibility that they don’t have to give to charity or even do much work to better humanity. They are too busy thinking how bad THEY feel or I want them to like me. I assume most people reading this have heard the phrase ‘Stop worrying what other people think about you because everyone is too busy thinking about themselves.’ Everyone is going around worried about what others think about him or her so in fact no one is concerned about each other in their day-to-day living.


Posting a cause on facebook or telling your friends or having a wristband about it does not do anything other than help you lie to yourself. The lie you tell yourself is ‘look I am a kind person because I care’. All in the hope that others will like you because you seem like a kind person; however, most people see through this, even if they do it themselves. But I believe people want to be kind, they just get too caught up in their own business.


Despite this, there are some people out there, in my experience of which are few and far between, who are truly kind people. You are the people who live each day intending to have someone bettered off from having met you. Even a smile or a compliment will put someone in a better mood and then they will be more inclined to do something good for others and then the next person will do the same and so on. If that chain continues each day every day eventually YOU have then contributed to making the world a more pleasant place to live. Do not get this confused with those people who cannot say no and only help so others will like them. They too are lying to themselves, telling themselves they are better than others for being so helpful and nice. No satisfaction comes from being this type of person. The takers usually will take, these people will usually give; then both parties will continually perpetuate their unhappiness.


Give half of your last £10 to a homeless person or the shoes you don’t wear anymore or the coat you never use. Help that person push his or her car or help someone pick up the books they drop or just give someone a genuine smile. Those of you who don’t do these things or are too cynical to believe this, I don’t show anger over your decisions and pessimism. Your life is yours to do with what you will. However, if you do not let love exist around you, producing it within you, letting it out of you and into you, then you will never be happy.


So stop taking from those who are happy, to benefit yourself and do not give to make yourself feel good. You don’t have to physically give anything; you can even simply listen to someone’s problems.


 If you want to be happy there is only one thing you should take from the truly kind individuals in the world. You should take their mental outlook. Befriend these people; they will make you a better person having known them. You all know at least one person like this. Learn what beliefs they have, you will find these people are happier in the world and are usually under appreciated. These people don’t want to better the world because it will make them feel good, although that is a by-product. These people want to better the world because they want the world to be a better place having had them in it.


Despite these people being over looked in favour of those who are powerful or famous or rich or funny or charming these kind people will have the most fulfilling lives of all and will be the ones who die knowing they did something to leave the world in a better place than when they entered.


 This isn’t intended as an elitist message or a chance to be little individuals. It is a view on the world and a request for everyone to do something for others.


Like I said I think we all want to be kind people and I truly believe we all can be.


Do what you can.

© 2012 Alex Richards


Author's Note

Alex Richards
Message me on your opinions and thoughts. Don't message me to express outrage, you don't have to read it. Feedback is welcome. Thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
Added on November 23, 2012
Last Updated on November 23, 2012
Tags: social commentary, philosophy, human beings, human, kind, people

Author

Alex Richards
Alex Richards

United Kingdom



About
I'm a writer/ scriptwriter within Manchester, UK. On this I'll write a variety of things from social commentary to full blown stories to scripts, if you're lucky. more..

Writing