My Neighbors the Yamadas Anime Movie Review

My Neighbors the Yamadas Anime Movie Review

A Story by Carrie Ott
"

A spoiler-free review of the popular Hayao Miyazaki film. I simply critique the plot, characters, etc. A CHRISTIAN EVALUATION is included at the end for some viewers and as a parental guide.

"

My Neighbors the Yamadas

 

A spoiler-free review of the popular slice-of-life anime movie

 

Title: My Neighbors the Yamadas

Alternate Title: Houhokekyo Tonari no Yamada-kun

Genre: Slice of Life/Comedy

Episodes: 1 (movie)

Running Time: Approx. 103 minutes

 

Synopsis: The Yamadas are in for an exciting ride! My Neighbors the Yamadas presents a series of short scenes depicting the struggles (and joys) of family life. From the simplest things like children leaving their lunches at home to fanciful depictions of the father as a superhero, the Yamadas are always on the move.

            The film begins with two people being joined in marriage. In an address to the new bride and groom, Grandmother Yamada warns the couple that living life is like sailing a ship through an upset sea. The rest of the movie shows those instances " Mr. Yamada accidentally leaving the daughter at the store and Grandma fighting off a gang of noisy bikers are some of the many scenes included in the Yamada family’s journey. But despite the trying times, it seems that living with “inconvenient” circumstances might turn out to be the most fun of all.

 

Plot: There’s really not much more to the plot than what I’ve stated in the synopsis, really. However, it seems to be that very concise and random tone which makes My Neighbors the Yamadas quite fun to watch. The movie is just one vignette after the other depicting what at first could be considered “inconveniences” but which actually turn out to be fun times. And believe me, when Grandma comes out to yell at a group of husky bikers, you know things are going to get good!

            As far as plotline goes, there really isn’t one. But that’s the way life is, isn’t it? The way the movie plays out much in the same way life does makes the film a one-of-a-kind experience worth watching.

 

Characters: Where My Neighbors the Yamadas truly shines is in its characters. Each and every one is funny in his or her own way, yet they mesh into one hilarious family. Grandma in particular is one of the best characters, as she’s pretty saucy for her age. The acting is great " very casual, as is to be expected from an everyday family " but that just makes it all the more enjoyable.

 

Animation: Since this film is from the famous Hayao Miyazaki, you can be sure the animation will be unique to say the least. Yamadas is unlike anything you’ve ever seen, I’ll guarantee it. The animation is just as simple as the straightforward life of the title characters. Lines are often not connected, and the animation has a way of being 3D and yet not 3D all at the same time. It’s a visual experience worth its salt.

 

Music: Whimsical, as is the Yamada family. While music is certainly not the centerpiece of this film, the musical score brings a comical undertone and adds strength to the film.

 

Ending: My Neighbors the Yamadas could actually have ended at any point due to the randomness of its plot. However, the conclusion of the movie is…unique…and it wraps up the theme of the entire film nicely " life is a journey meant to be enjoyed with those you love.

 

Recommendation: I would recommend this movie to anyone who would like to have a nice laugh. While it might not necessarily be “bust-a-gut” hilarious, it’ll definitely make you grin!

 

Audience: I would not recommend this film for viewers under 5, simply because the content will be lost on them. Other than that, anyone is welcome!

 

Final Grade: 7 out of 10, for a funny storyline and wonderful characters. The unsystematic approach to the plotline, as well as animation which might deter some viewers, keep this movie from getting a higher score.

 

For the Christian Audience: There is really nothing at all wrong with this movie. It’s rated G as well, if that encourages you. Conclusion: Safe!

 

 

Want to buy My Neighbors the Yamadas? Click the links below. I’ve set up the links so that you’ll go to a new page to view the item, then you can click and go to the store to buy the item! Enjoy!

 

Click this link for the DVD: <iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=wyvernwriter-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B0009MAO3M" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

© 2011 Carrie Ott


Author's Note

Carrie Ott
Have you seen My Neighbors the Yamadas? Tell me about it! Did I do a good job reviewing it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

511 Views
1 Review
Added on April 5, 2011
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: my, neighbors, the, yamadas, anime, movie, review, japan, hayao, miyazaki

Author

Carrie Ott
Carrie Ott

About
Want some writing advice? Here's a link to one of my articles - http://www.squidoo.com/understanding-poetry-rhyming-meter-and-form UPDATE: Here's the link to my blog, where I will be recording my .. more..

Writing