A Good Day for Fishing

A Good Day for Fishing

A Story by Austin Wade Runyon
"

It's a good day for fishing.

"
I cast my line into the lake and watched my bait squirm. The water was so clear and sparkled in the light of the sun. It was like peering into liquid crystal spread vast before my eyes. The waves lapped against my vessel, as if kissing it, before disapating back into the syndochenous mass they formed from. Forced into the existence and folded back into the ether as quickly as they had come. Like everything else. There was something meditative about being out in the water. The sway of the boat and repetitions of the water forced reverie upon you.

As the waves danced the light they held danced with them. Staring out from my boat I felt as if I was drifting along with them. Like I was one of the waves being folded back into the mass of non-existentence. Here and gone in mere seconds of the universal timeline. A notch on the ruler too insignificant to notice. Unless you cared to look. And nothing ever would. I pulled myself from the esoteric lake I was adrift in and back into the real. The sun came from behind a cloud and blanketed the Earth as I leaned back into my seat with a grin. It was a good day for fishing.
-------
I sighed to relieve some frustration. It appeared my earlier optimism had only manifested to augment my inevitable disappointment. Nothing was biting today. I resolved myself to accept the failure that culminated this day.

That's when I saw it. Walking across the grass in the direction of my cast. When it got close it stopped and eyed my bait curiously. Come on you little b*****d go for it. It walked over, hesitated for an anxious moment, then grabbed it. My adrenaline kicked in but I steeled my impulses and waited a few sparse moments until I was sure it had a firm grip on it. After a few seconds of toying with the bait it finally placed both hands upon it. With great urgency I grabbed my rod and pulled, reeling as it went.

I reeled and pulled and reeled and pulled with the type of skill that is only manifested through instinct. It was important to keep the mind clear and not succumb to excitement. That would only serve to dull the deftness of my hands. This is the prowess of the expert, to perform without effort. To exert without effort.

Reel, pull, reel, pull, until finally, success! My immense satisfaction was quickly dashed when I gazed upon the dainty human in my grasp. Frail and weak, an achievement of impotence amongst it's already pathetic species. It's big eyes gazed at me with startled confusion. I felt it's thoughts through my fingers. It was thinking so many things at once it was as if it wasn't thinking anything at all. Though I the thoughts of a human were so measly they might as well always be thinking of nothing. I would've pitied it, only it wasn't a thing worthy of pity in the first place. Just a dumb insignificant lifeform existing to serve the will of whatever resided higher on the food chain. I looked at the sky in the astral plane that I resided in and wondered if maybe there was something there looking down on me as well. Beyond the surface of reality. Was I merely like the human to a grander, more complex creature? The thought sent a chill through my spine. I scoffed at my own silliness. Look at me, spooking myself.

I threw the measly thing back into hyperbolic lake of time-space. The ether drank it in and returned it to the place from wence it came. It got up and looked around frantically. It's eyes rested on the place were I peered in at it. Though I knew it couldn't see me, it was almost as if it sensed me staring in at it. Curious little things. Sometimes these dumb creatures would shock us with their perception. Likely I was just anthtropormorphizing it. I knew their brains wouldn't be capable of such advanced electromagnetic perceiving. Still curious...it is was still looking in my direction.

After a few more seconds it scampered off. I grinned and cast my rod back into the etheric lake. More would be here soon, a whole conference maybe, if luck is on my side. It was a good day for fishing after all.

© 2021 Austin Wade Runyon


Author's Note

Austin Wade Runyon
No indents because I typed this on my phone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This one is your best yet. Loved everything about it.
Idea: 10/10
Execution: 10/10
Poeticness: 10/10
Overall: 10/10

You are killing it. Keep 'em coming.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 30, 2020
Last Updated on November 11, 2021
Tags: Fishing, nature, outdoors, lake, tranquil, weird, fiction

Author

Austin Wade Runyon
Austin Wade Runyon

Mitchell, SD



About
My name is Austin Runyon. Sundrowner is my alias for certain work. more..

Writing