The Tower- Part 1

The Tower- Part 1

A Chapter by Alexander Brewer
"

Dee and the gang find themselves on the run and find danger ahead. Unfortunately for them it's just the beginning of something bigger.

"

Tales of Dee

By Alexander Brewer

 

Chapter 5

 

            “Why the hell did you pin that on me!?” Bengask yelled out to Slikisia while they were running from a mob.

            “Occupational hazard! I can’t have everything fall of my head, else I can’t go anywhere!” Slikisia answered while keeping well ahead of him. Dee and Tashia caught up with them quickly enough.

            “What happened this time!?” Dee asked while he caught a spear that was about to hit Tashia.

            “This wretched woman stole some ring from the arch bishop of the town!” Bengask answered in a rage.

            “Then why are you-?” Dee started but was interrupted.

            “Because he was there, now let’s hurry up and lose them!” Slikisia pulled out some pepper bombs and threw them passed Tashia and Dee into the crowd. Dee considered carrying Bengask since he was clearly the slowest runner among them but Slikisia’s bomb blinded most of their pursuers. After running for quite a while they stopped to catch their breath. “I’m surprised you didn’t trip with all that armor Bengie.”

            “You realize we left our bags in that town right?” Tashia pointed out to Slikisia.

            “Our rooms were paid off for another two days so we can get them back during the night.” Dee observed then looked around. Seeing the waterfalls in the distance he concluded their not far from the next town. “We can rest in Puzulon for a few hours. Tashia remembered the name and felt she was forgetting something important. They traveled east at a much healthier pace and arrived at the village only to find it burned down.

            “Of course…” Tashia sighed. “Kraklo is going through a civil war.”

            “How would you know that lass?” Bengask wondered aloud. Dee noted these buildings were recently destroyed.

            “Venzlara used to have friendly relations with Kraklo so we helped them quell any rebellions.” Tashia explained while looking through some of the wreckage. She broke down a little. “I… I didn’t know it became so bad they’d have to kill off an entire village.

            “We haven’t found any corpse piles burnt or otherwise. There may be survivors.” Dee pointed out looking around diligently.

            “It could be looters too.” Slikisia said looking through some fragments.

            “What?” Tashia responded while looking with Dee for survivors.

            “All the gold and jewelry is gone.” Slikisia explained while holding a burnt jewelry box open. “You wouldn’t care to save this stuff if you had to flee.”

            “People can be pretty shallow about that sort of thing.” Bengask pointed out. “Like someone I know.”

            “A good thief doesn’t let their avarice get in the way of survival.” Slikisia explained while glaring Bengask in the eyes. “You can’t steal if you’re dead.”

            “We can’t stay here.” Dee said mournfully after unfortunately failing to find any survivors. Even behind the mask, Tashia could see he was deeply angry over this.

            “The next town over is Wovaon.” Tashia said checking for any supplies they could use while they were here. Bengask saw this and found is appalling.

            “Stealing from the dead…” Bengask spat on the ground. “I thought elves had higher standards than that.”

            “Even the wisest know you can’t always be choosy.” Tashia answered him. Though he could easily tell she didn’t like it any better than he did. After a while they left the poor village.

            “Why wasn’t Padlor hit?” Slikisia asked Tashia while she walked beside her.

            “I don’t know.” Tashia answered. When they arrived at the next town they found it was in perfect condition. There was a festival going on and the streets were bustling with activity. The group tried to figure out what the celebration was about but soon enough they saw why. The king and his entourage were parading through the town while their soldiers were escorting the villagers from Puzulon in chains as prisoners. Dee was utterly horrified that this was happening. He was even more horrified that this village was cheering for this cruel humiliation.

            “Someone has to stop this.” Dee said barely keeping his anger contained.

            “We can’t help those people right now; all we’d end up doing is causing a riot.” Tashia explained.

            “Humans… As brave as the fiercest dwarf but as cruel as the most wicked orc.” Bengask said walking away from the celebration.

            “The king was never this cruel.” Tashia observed as she found the situation getting ever stranger. After a while her head began to hurt a bit.

            “Power can do things to you in time.” Slikisia pointed out.

            “It’s not that, I just feel something wrong in the air.” Tashia tried to explain but she couldn’t quite understand what she felt. The pain in her head wasn’t getting worse though but it was going numb. Dee saw the king’s scepter had a large jewel on it. It was clear and glowing on the inside. He figured it was enchanted, however that wasn’t out of place because enchantments can be simply for decoration. From where he was he couldn’t sense what kind of enchantment was in the scepter. Dee swallowed his pride and approached the king. Tashia thought he was going to kill him and tried to stop him but Slikisia held her back. “Let me go Slik!” Tashia struggled but she saw she couldn’t do anything. Dee approached the king. Guards saw him and got between him and the king. Thing had seemed tense until Dee finally had spoken.

            “Hail to you my liege.” Dee said politely. “I hear of many rebel forces being thwarted by your greatness lately? I take this as it being true.” The king was surprised by Dee’s presence. Soon the king smiled and nodded.

            “There’s no need for the formal talk here.” The king answered him feeling confident his guards could stop him if he were a rebel. Not to mention he figured no one would be stupid enough to walk straight up to a guarded king as armed as he was and attack. Dee took a moment to look at the scepter and he could clearly sense something wrong with the scepter but it wasn’t from this place.

            “That weapon is a testimony to you rule, seeing the metal though, it seems new. I’m curious as to where you got it. I might want to get one myself.” Dee asked a bit bluntly which made the king suspicious but in front of the people he kept himself in check. “Unfortunately that’s a kingly secret. Not to mention I doubt you could afford one.” The king continued passed him. Dee lowered his head as he squeezed his hand so tight he crushed the metal of his own glove. Dee walked back to Tashia and Slikisia.

            “What was that? Kissing the king’s boot?” Slikisia said bitterly toward him. Dee glared right into her eyes. Dee got ahold of himself.

            “The king’s scepter is controlling these people.” Dee explained.

            “What?” Tashia asked trying to shake her head.

            “I’m assuming any of his people he can’t control, he’s taking prisoner.” Dee answered then took his crushed glove off. Slikisia realized then how much Dee wanted to kill the king.

            “How did you pick up all that from just looking at the thing?” Slikisia asked.

            “The magic in the air is thicker than usual.” Dee said winding his finger through the air. “This isn’t the source though. That’s why I couldn’t sense it here.” Slikisia assumed Dee was much more magically in tuned to sense this. “We’ve got to leave.”

            “How do I know you’re not affected by it?” Slikisia asked cautiously. The parade of soldiers had moved on and the people along with it. Bengask finally came back out.

            “Damned fools… The whole lot of them should be locked up for being such barbarians.” Bengask said chugging a bottle of ale.

            “Do you want to get back at them?” Dee asked as he knew it would peak Bengask’s interest.

            “You didn’t answer my question!” Slikisia yelled.

            “I can’t be affected by mind spells.” Dee answered bluntly. “Believe me, it’s been tried.” Slikisia wasn’t completely convinced but took his word for now. Dee turned to Tashia, who was having trouble focusing. “Tashia, you alright.”

            “Yeah, I just need to shake this off.” Tashia answered. “I’ll be alright.” Dee figured because of her Elf physiology, Tashia should be more resilient but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Dee knew Tashia shouldn’t be left here though. He considered his options and unfortunately opted to bring her along. Dee noticed one of the guards frantically trying to catch up with the parade. He walked to the guard.

            “This will take only a minute or two.” Dee said then immediately close lined the guard. “Oh sorry about that.” Dee said helping the guard to his feet. The guard was far too dazed to realize it was on purpose.

            “Oh no… it’s fine… I really need to get with… the troop! Got to keep the prisoners from escaping…” The guard slowly got himself together.

            “So why has the king been attacking these villages?” Dee asked while walking the guard to a tall building nearby as if trying to help him recuperate.

            “I… It’s nothing, just putting down revolts.” The guard explained. “Likely gonna execute throw criminals tomorrow..

            “Alright, then my next question, who gave him the enchanted scepter?” Dee asked curiously but the guard realized what’s going on.

            “What? What enchanted scepter?” The guard said as he tried to cover himself.

            “That’s not the answer I wanted.” Dee said and his voice turned to a bitter note then grabbed the guard by the chest and threw him along the side of the building to the top. The guard cried out as he flew up then he was miraculously caught at the top by Dee.

            “What the?! No one is that fast!” The guard yelled in surprise and terror.

            “Right…” Dee said then dropped him. The guard screamed as he flew down a floor but then Dee’s hand burst through the building wall and caught him again. Dee cleared enough room for himself to continue his talk with the guard directly. “So that scepter…” Dee began but was interrupted by the guard’s obvious panic.

            “I don’t know… I think he got it a few months ago!” The guard blabbed while trying not to look down.

            “Anything else, my fingers feel like their going to slip.” Dee asked dryly.

            “Yes! Yes… He’s been under the council of the wizard Taalkin recently… M-maybe he gave him the scepter.” The guard quickly answered grabbing Dee’s arm in case Dee does let him go again.

            “And where is Taalkin?” Dee asked while mildly loosening which panicked the guard.

            “He’s in a tower in the Faolix woods! There about ten miles north of here… Please don’t drop me.” The guard said while beginning to cry.

            “Thank you.” Dee said then smashed the guard into the building and put him down. The impact knocked him out but Dee observed he would be alright after a night or two. On his way out the building, Dee told the woman who owned the building to watch after the guard and apologized for the damages. She didn’t complain since he took the guard down in the first place, who could she ask for help. Dee returned the others who were utterly stunned by what he just did. “We need to get to the Faolix woods.” Dee said while he pointed north. Bengask was still stunned from Dee’s interrogation of the guard.

            “I knew you could carry a dwarf but to throw a man a hundred feet into the air…” Bengask felt a bit down since he knew he couldn’t compete with that sort of ability.

            “We’ve got to go.” Dee said then ran ahead of them. Tashia quickly followed then by Slikisia shortly after. Bengask stood there for a while trying to regain some small fragment of his pride. Then he realized helping these people will do more than suffice for now. He charged off behind them.

            “So what’s the plan?” Slikisia asked while dodging trees.

            “The wizard is likely powering the king’s mind control scepter so we need to kill him or take his source of power.” Dee explained while hopping over thorny bushes. Tashia considered her elven abilities to sense magic.

            “Perhaps I could help locate the source?” Tashia suggested. Dee didn’t want to consider it due to her vulnerability to it but he didn’t want risk that village’s fate.

            Slikisia however came up with an option before Dee could respond. “I could use Tashia’s help to locate and steal it.” She explained. “A good option for our escape would be for you and Bengask to create a distraction.”

            “What?! Use me as a shield while you do the crafty work!?” Bengask complained while trying to keep up.

            “I’m just giving you the option to show your dwarven pride.” Slikisia said then decided to goad him on. “Or is it so small that you want to hide in a corner?”

            “What?! You damned cat! I’ll show you dwarven pride!” Bengask roared at her.

            “Alright.” Dee said noting this plan could work.

            After about an hour of running and jogging, so Bengask wouldn’t fall behind, they finally arrived at the tower. They approached from the side. The structure stood at least two hundred feet tall and had pitch black stones holding it up. There was scaffolding on some parts of the exterior for repairs. It looked like a dark pillar with only the light of some windows to give it any life.

            “So how should we keep them distracted?” Dee asked.

            “In about three minutes, do what ever you need to.” Slikisia answered. Tashia drew a pair of knived and used them to scale the wall. Slikisia used her claws to quickly follow.

            “We should burst in! Cut down so many of them that there won’t even be a reason to escape. There won’t be any left!” Bengask said laughing a bit while still catching his breath.

            “Shouldn’t be a problem.” Dee said then soon saw the two had entered through a window several stories up. He drew his swords as Bengask drew his axes. They rushed to the entrance. Bengask yelled out as they burst in. With great fury his sent his axe through an unsuspecting guard’s face. Dee on the other hand kept mostly on the defensive to buy the others time. However he didn’t let the guard’s gain confidence as he, with great precision, slashed and stabbed straight through any weaknesses in the defenders’ armors.

 

 

            Tashia and Slikisia hear the commotion from the lower levels. They knew they had ample time to retrieve the wizard’s power or take him down. Tashia’s head began hurting more and more though as they explored the floor. Slikisia unfortunately failed to notice due to trying to find the wizard. Eventually she figured the wizard was elsewhere but his enchantment must be housed here.

            “Tashia? Can you sense the spell?” Slikisia asked pulling books from a shelf and tossing them aside to see if there’s anything hidden behind them.

            “It’s over here.” Tashia said walking slowly to a wall. Slikisia was suspicious of a wall but figured it must have had a secret door. She approached Tashia and examined the wall but then suddenly Tashia elbowed her directly in the face. Slikisia fell down with pain and surprise. She looked up to Tashia who had drawn her sword with a sadistic look on her face and even one of her eyes was twitching.

            “What the hell are you doing?!” Slikisia yelled at her before Tashia surprisingly bashed her in the face.

 

 

            Bengask was having some trouble with the guards after he soon lost the element of surprise with more arriving. Dee was still holding his own pretty well.

            “Flank them!” A guard yelled out and soon they were being surrounded. Dee realized he couldn’t let that happen so he rushed passed the guards so fast they were knocked away by the wind began cutting them down along the way. The rest of the guards were surprised by this and fled.

            “Why couldn’t you do that sooner?” Bengask asked sarcastically.

            “Obviously because they weren’t all here yet.” Dee answered then he sheathed his swords. They quickly charged up the stairs to see if Tashia and Slikisia had finished their part of the mission. Upon arriving they saw both Tashia and Slikisia standing and looking at the wall trying to pry it open. They immediately noticed Dee and Bengask.

            “Interesting.” Tashia said forcefully while turning shakily toward them. Her voice wasn’t her own but deeper and demonic.

            “This one is immune to my spell.” Slikisia said with an insane look on her face. Her voice was the same as Tashia’s.

            “What the hell is going on here?!” Bengask said walking up to them but Dee pulled him back as they both attacked.

            “They’re being controlled by the wizard!” Dee quickly answered then drew his swords. He didn’t want to hurt them but then was bashed into the wall by Bengask.

            “Too bad.” Bengask said with the same voice as the other two. “He seems so much stronger than these three.” Dee tried to figure out what he could do but came up with little.

            “It’s too late hero, I’ve already left this tower.” Tashia explained approaching slowly with the others.

            “However I’ve always wondered how this would go?” Slikisia asked. “A hero alone against his friends.” She drew dual daggers.

            “Would he be forced to kill them?” Tashia continued while closing in.

            “Or better yet!” Bengask said with cruel astonishment.

            “How would he stop them from killing each other!” All three said while pointing their weapons at one another.

            Dee was trapped. He was utterly enraged that this wizard would be this cruel but he was also terrified by it. Dee knew he could take them all but without killing them? All three began to laugh at him. Dee prepared for the worst and charged.

 

 

To be Continued



© 2014 Alexander Brewer


Author's Note

Alexander Brewer
Once again again. I'm aware it's unrefined. Though yes I do appreciate the grammatical corrections, I have an editor I see about that later so it becomes redundant hearing it again. I just like the content of the story to be addressed.
Thank you anyway though

Also yes there is a chapter 4 which takes place between this one and "The Thief"
I just felt like putting them up out of order. Also cause I'm trying to make that chapter work properly. There's a few kinks which are annoying me with it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like that you referred to a slower pace as a "healthier pace". I like the phrasing of "kingly secret". Avoid using nondescript language like "thing". I like the banter such as - unlike some people and then I don't steal from the dead, or something along those lines. I like the contrast between your characters reactions to the razed village.

This feels like a "Dungeons and Dragons" adventure. I like how the characters follow up with the enchanted scepter and everything starts becoming clearer.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alexander Brewer

9 Years Ago

"Thing had seemed tense" does sound really stupid and I didn't notice it until just now... I probabl.. read more



Reviews

I like that you referred to a slower pace as a "healthier pace". I like the phrasing of "kingly secret". Avoid using nondescript language like "thing". I like the banter such as - unlike some people and then I don't steal from the dead, or something along those lines. I like the contrast between your characters reactions to the razed village.

This feels like a "Dungeons and Dragons" adventure. I like how the characters follow up with the enchanted scepter and everything starts becoming clearer.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Alexander Brewer

9 Years Ago

"Thing had seemed tense" does sound really stupid and I didn't notice it until just now... I probabl.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

194 Views
1 Review
Added on October 10, 2014
Last Updated on October 10, 2014
Tags: Tales of Dee, Dee, Elves, Tashia Venzlarin, Bengask, Slikisia, Dwarf, Felis


Author

Alexander Brewer
Alexander Brewer

CA



About
Just a writer who wants to bring many stories to the world more..

Writing