Behind a Monster's Smile

Behind a Monster's Smile

A Story by Xivtorc
"

Remorse and pure horror captivated Henry's childhood. Now as a matured adult, he must take care of his daughter alone after a recent divorce. Things get worse when a creature starts hunting them down.

"

“A monster is a person who has stopped pretending.” 
― Colson Whitehead



His swollen, blackened eye adjusted to the darkness. The small isolated hell hole that surrounded him began closing in on him. The blank cracked walls began breathing, as if readying itself to swallow him whole. Jackets and shoes cramped him into an unbearable crouched position. Blood dripped uncontrollably, staining the carpet, like a broken faucet left on and had been long forgotten, he was long forgotten.


The false magnificent reality in his mind welcomed him in opened arms, but he couldn't leave, the sound of blood dripping constantly kept Henry focused. Tension grew as the silence matured into pure fear. A crimson violet tainted his skin, a reminder that his innocence had long past gone. His ears were scorching hot as it pulsated into a ringing sensation. The belt marks still felt fresh on his skin.


Light shined underneath the doorway, masking a false shining beacon of salvation. Unfortunately no salvation will come today. As a shadow flickered through the light, Henry jumped back and hit his head against the wall behind him.


“No, please get away from the door! You F****n’ monster! Don’t you dare touch me!” Henry clenched his weak fist as he brought his knees closer to his chest. His swollen skin expanded, making his freshly broken skin scream in pain. Opened wounds riddled Henry’s back ensuring life lasting scars. The knob painfully turned as Henry watched in horror as the monster came to get him with that sadistic smile.


                                                      ********************************

Henry jolted upright when something touched his hand, making him spill his beer. The waiter remained silent before saying anything. “I am glad you woke up, I thought you were dead or somethin’.” He let out a chuckle; he stopped when he quickly registered Henry’s face. This same man that walked in the restaurant moments ago appeared to be happy & confident with his little daughter except now, he can see true fear in the man’s eyes.


He shifted his eyes towards his daughter; their eyes shared a look of worry. He shook his head, as if trying to loosen the bad thoughts out of his head. He smiled at her and with a return he received a light-hearted giggle from his sweet daughter. Henry brushed off the waiter’s concerns by distracting him with a request to bring out the “Special dessert.”


“What special dessert?” asked Hailey. Her eyes flared with excitement.

“Don’t you worry sweetie, I know exactly what my baby girl deserves on her special day.” Henry smiled, knowing his daughter understood exactly by what he meant.

Minutes later, sparkles dazzle in frenzy on waxed sticks that were placed onto a frosted delight. The staff and a portion of the other customers began singing “happy birthday” to Hailey. She blushed, the grin on her face practically screamed how happy she was.


The things I do, just for her. Henry smiled to himself. “Happy birthday, I love you.” Henry hesitated before saying anything else. “When you visit mom I bet you will celebrate two birthdays.” He smiled, trying his best to look caring nevertheless deep inside he felt a burning shame in his stomach.

“Thanks dad, I am sure that’s the case and I love you too!” Moments after they devoured their delicious small cake and opened her presents, Hailey said: “I’ll be right back; I need to use the restroom.” To that, Henry nodded and his attention was caught by someone else.

 

A group of women sitting at the bar laughed and stared at Henry. Without hesitation he gave the girls his best charming smile and winked at their direction, this paid off when their faces flustered and giggles erupted from them.

A passing waiter was in complete awe by his smooth gesture. “Those women were talking about you since the moment you came in here. I won’t lie, they said nasty things when they saw you spill that beer earlier, but my best guess is that if you’re single it would be the best time to go and talk to them.”


Henry looked at him with a grin. He nonchalantly responded “I know, thanks for the tip my friend.”

Before his daughter came back, Henry had finished talking to the girls at the bar; he left the restaurant with fresh new contacts in his phone. Whatever emotions he felt when he was dreaming didn't seem to taint his perfect face for long. His hazel eyes matched his short brown hair. His fair olive skin complimented his desirable smile. Henry reeked of confidence and desire, and he knew it.


The pair paced through the nearby parking lot, smiles on their faces as they talked about Hailey’s future career. Just when Henry gripped the door handle on his Mercedes Benz, his stomach was caught by an explosive force. Hands followed through his hair lines, clenching a handful of hair. A burst of force brought Henry’s head to the frame of the car, smacking it with a loud thud. Henry’s ungraceful fall was accompanied by a flurry of brain rattling kicks and punches. After some time he was rolled to his side, he felt hands searching for his wallet. All he could hear was his daughter screaming for help


“Just take it and leave us alone!” Henry pleaded, but a downward force struck him on the side of the head, reminding him how hopeless it was to bargain. He knew they could do anything they wanted; no one was nearby to help. A wave of panic and nausea waved through his body, making him disoriented and dizzy. Hands went underneath his arms and he was brought to his feet. His feet felt weak and even unresponsive. Henry’s eyes adjusted to the horrible sight in front of him, he saw his lovely daughter being held tightly by a hooded man.


“Look what we have here boys, this a*****e has a beautiful daughter.” The disgusting man wrapped his arms around her neck, bringing her closer to the assailant. The repulsive man whispered into her ear, just enough to be heard by Henry. “Wouldn't I love just a few moments with you, we would have so much fun together.” Hailey squeaked, not knowing what to do.


Henry’s teeth clenched, a surge of energy lifted his weight. But before he could do anything he felt a cold metal piece press against his neck. He lifted his head in shock as the knife slowly pierced his skin, making blood flow outwards his weak body. He gasped trying to keep calm.

The man pushed Hailey downwards, forcing her face into the spiky surface of the ground. She didn't scream or yelped. She just lay there, without motion. Her limbs sprawled in a flimsy position.  Henry could hear screaming, but he knew Hailey was unconscious, who was screaming? His brain sends signals of distress throughout his skull; his adrenaline pumped his veins making his damaged muscles numb.

 

The knife still pressed against his neck, its presence lingered for a moment.

Henry felt the hesitation in his attacker, not the kind of hesitation of guilt or an innocent conscious, but the hesitation of if they killed Henry, could they do it without getting caught?

You fuckers, if you hurt my baby I will kill you, slow and excruciatingly. Henry’s mind stuttered when a punch connected to his jaw. Henry collapsed, but still had not given up he balanced quickly on his feet. To be met with another punch to his ribs. He cannot take this onslaught of brutal punishment any longer. Darkness came over him without notice.


Blood spewed onto the concrete. The car dented to beyond belief. The pattern of the windshield was jagged and zigzagged as the glass was shattered into pieces. The knife lay on the floor, its bladed side covered with red sin. Next to it was a mangled body with brutal engravings that covered the body’s belly. Gashes and lacerations scared the face, making it almost impossible to identify the person.


In the proximity of the corpse was him and it. His shoulders were pinned by its knees, trapping him underneath the monster. Punch after punch landed onto his face. Blood smeared its fist, this fact didn't stop it from hitting him, it seemed like it made it feel more motivated to keep hurting him. A triumph of dominance was clear when it let out its inhuman scream.


The monster was covered and laced around with a black veil. The mysterious being stood seven feet tall, its lanky figure showed its raw-boned features. Its face covered by darkness and shadows, but you could tell its dire hatred and emotion without looking at his face, its desire to kill.


His eyes bulged when suddenly he heard flesh being squished. Was it his flesh? His eyes gazed into the darkness, vacuuming his soul into the infernal.


“God d****t, get the hell off of me!” He begged and screamed for rescue. Then, without notice the monster knocked his head into the concrete, he could feel the hard pavement hitting bone. He could hear his own head smack into the ground as if he was a toy.


All Henry could do was watch; he was sprawled out as he watched the monster destroy the man’s body with such pathetic ease.“Serves him right” Henry thought as he closed his eyes, imprisoned by his own pain.


The dark entity picked him up by the collar with ease. His feet dangling helplessly, all he can do was watch, watch his death unfold.


When the officials had finally come, they were traumatized by the scene that remained. A man who suffered minor injuries and his daughter were the only ones left of a mass murder. Blood and gore caked the streets with such a radius that even a serial killer would find impressive. After a few days, Henry was exclusively questioned on the event however he feared the officials will consider him insane, so he lied saying someone rescued them, unfortunately he went unconscious before identifying him. Honestly he didn't care he lied to the officials, as long as the real monsters were dead and that both of them were okay.


Hailey concentrated on the outside world that presented itself from the windows. Her skin was still recovering from the night in the parking lot; her hand ran down her arm being greeted with scabs and scars. Rain droplets pelted the window with such ease, hypnotizing her. She didn't even realize her father was calling out her name.


“Earth to Hailey, are there any signs of life?” Henry patted her shoulder.


“What is it?” she asked. She knew how distant she was towards her father. Her entire outlook changed because of those people. Hailey didn't understand why she was distant with the people she loved aside from the fact that she felt like it offered her protection.


“Can you pick up some of these items on this list at the grocery store? I need to do work.”, Henry said as he handed her the list.


Without disagreement, Hailey took the list and left, her mind totally distracted by something else. Henry watched her leave. Henry knew what was troubling her.


“Poor girl, I wish she just forgets that night in the parking lot. I would do anything just to see her smile again.” He sighed and walked to his office, closing the door behind him. “Then again, who can forget something like especially when it was on their birthday?” Once he finally got settled in his swivel chair, he opened a bottle of scotch and poured some in his glass. His mind distant, he almost poured too much and nearly overflowed the glass with alcohol.


“S**t, come on Henry; don’t mess up these important papers. How am I supposed to explain this to the workers about the stains?” He plopped the bottle of scotch onto his wooden desk. Papers scattered everywhere, leaving only a little bit of space left. His desk always looked cluttered and chaotic, but lately he’s been out of touch with his work. He felt like he needed to spend more time with his daughter however, ever since she grew ever so distant with him, he feels like time will be the only healer.


Henry kept looking at the reflective bottle, his breath reeked of alcohol. Should he even be drinking at this point? The traumatic incident left him baffled at what happened. He can picture the monster, tearing his attackers piece by piece. That movement of the veil was so strange, there was no element of wind that made it move, it just floated there. How is that even possible?


Henry’s sleep wasn’t getting better after that incident. In the back of his mind he can still hear bone being crushed. That man, how he screamed in pain and how Henry just watched with a smile on his face.

Henry massaged his temple, accidentally hurting himself as he pressed a bruise. As he let out a long sigh, his eyes moved again at that bottle. The reflection showed the window behind him. The sun’s fall gave way as light became to dimmer. The movement of the trees calmed him. All of a sudden, the reflection gave way when Henry saw it, literally it. The wisp of the veil drifted across the window.


Henry shot straight up, his body forcing him towards the window, to be met with nothing but the trees, swaying back and forth.


“F**k! Was that…? That can’t be … No it can’t be true, not here.”  Henry felt denial wash over him. Not here. Henry sprinted to a cabinet next to his desk. His shaken fingers had a difficult time looking for his gun. Once he finally grasped his only means of defense into his hands, he felt a new motive of survival, as it surged through his body. Henry dialed his daughter’s number and waited for her to pick up, while he pointed the gun at the door.


The anticipation of the ring must have been at least a few minutes before the phone picked up. “Hailey! Don’t come home sweetie, stay at the store and call the cops, I think someone-“ Henry was caught in mid speech by a blood curdling scream. Its pitch deafened his ears. Shivers ran down his back as the sound emitted itself from the phone.


“Hailey! Are you okay? Please answer me!” His mind was so distracted by the phone that he was petrified when something hit his door. The knocks became louder and forceful, making the door bulge and vibrate violently. All Henry could do was watch, his hands shaking so much that his gun swayed around the door. He felt the same feeling when he was locked inside the closet by his abusive father. That same abandoned feeling he always carried throughout his life. The only time he didn't feel it was when his baby girl was born.

As the doorknob slowly turned, his finger pressed against the trigger feeling the resistance. Henry prepared himself for the unknown.


“Dad..? Are you okay? His little girl popped in her head.


“Hailey? What the hell, what happened to your phone and why did you bang on my door like that?”


Hailey responded confused: “sorry that was me, I was bringing in some groceries and I dropped …” Hailey looked at the gun in her father’s hand. “Why the hell do you have a gun pointing at me? I couldn't have scared you, I only knocked the door gently!”


“Wait, so you’re saying you didn't have your cell phone when you went shopping?” Henry questioned her intensely without even replying her.


“Well yes, the batteries are drained, it should be still charging in my room.” Hailey said matter-of-factly. Her father’s response was hesitant and she didn't expect what her father said next.

“Honey, we have to leave this instant.” Henry made his way out of the house with his daughter’s hand in one hand and a gun with the other. 


Hailey studied her father in concern. What the hell is going on with dad? His indistinguishable stench of booze worried her. They stopped suddenly at the doorway, she felt his father’s grip tighten so much that it shook.  What the hell is going on?


Henry stood there in disbelief, he was paralyzed by fear. He mumbled to himself incoherently.                              


“We have to get out of here.” Henry dashed to the back out of the house, not thinking to close the door for fear of lack of time. The time they so desperately needed, to get away from that monstrous being that stood in the middle of street. It floated there; its frame made him seem gigantic as it stood there in the empty street. The street lights that were once bright and held a mysterious aura of safety was now snuffed out by the darkness. While a thick fog of shade covered the being, its face suddenly appeared as if floating there. His gleaming red eyes curved in such a devilish appearance. His god forbidding smile that reached ear to ear, his carnivore, mangled teeth shown through his pale wrinkled face.


The wind brushed through the leaves, making them sway and rustle in the night. Nature’s debris was trampled to pieces when Henry and his daughter made their way through the night. Their footsteps crunched with every step. Their breaths were shallow and rhythmic.


“Come on! Keep up with my pace; we should be seeing a road soon.” Henry directed Hailey. They dodged and maneuvered around trees while trying to maintain their speed. The tree’s sickly frame was hidden well from the dark. Branches swung and hit both of them as they ran.


“Dad, I am trying but can we please take a minute and get our bearings?” She needed some sort of explanation, unless there wasn’t one at all. She looked at her father’s face, as if hoping to find answers that were obviously not there.


Her father felt its penetrating gaze upon him. He didn't dare look back, he needs to continue forward. He didn't realize how close it was until he heard that same familiar scream he heard in the night in the parking lot. It felt as if it was screaming right into his ear, he could feel a warm breath on his neck.


Henry pivoted to the side as he drew his gun behind him.  His breath withdrew violently and without rhythm. His heart felt like it was going to burst out of his chest. He was ready for anything, he just wanted to end his torture of waiting, but he wasn’t ready for what his eyes had shown him. His gun pointed straightly at his little girl. Her eyes wide opened in shock.


“Dad! What the hell is going on! Tell me right now!” He felt her daughter’s desperation in her voice. Of course she doesn’t know what’s going on; she was unconscious when the real incident happened.


“Baby, listen real carefully, you need to trust me when I say we are not safe here. We’re being chased by someone” Henry bit his lip, “Something! This thing isn't human; we had to leave the house before it was too late.” Henry tried wording his explanation without making him sound crazy. Or what if he was? No that wouldn'texplain what happened at that night.


Henry shook his head in frustration. Hailey’s tears started flowing down her face.


“Daddy, I just want to go ho-“a violent impact caught Hailey before she could finish her sentence. Her rag doll body went limp with ease. Her body levitated upwards, her tangled mess of a body spun in disorienting ways.  She started to lift upwards, her hair blanketed her face. Then, suddenly she stayed perfectly still. Her limbs looked as if strings were attached to them, pulling them in all sorts of direction.


Henry’s voice didn't sound familiar to him; his voice was distant and soaked with fear. “Hailey, oh god. Please don’t hurt her!”


Her body bounced and forth then suddenly as if someone tugged at the end of the strings to her body, she flung to the right. The force and speed it made her daughter go was horrifying to him. She flew into the woods, 

her screams terrified Henry.


Henry charged into the same direction, not knowing what to do. Then, his tight grip of the gun in his hands reminded him that he is not without hope.  He has to save his little girl, even if it means sacrificing himself to do so.


Henry stampeded through a bush, revealing the road in front of him. His eyes locked eyes with his daughter, her tears so evident. Ribbons of dark cloth radiated around her body, as if engulfing her whole. Its face smiled creepily as it crouched next to her head. Its bony, emaciated fingers gently brushing her hair.


“Get the hell away from my daughter you freak!” Henry pointed the gun at the monster’s head, which was the only visible piece that he could see; unfortunately it was protected by Hailey’s head. The monster’s smile grew, showing its deformed teeth.


“Dad, please don’t shoot! Just leave, I am begging you.”


Henry shook his head, he knew he couldn't do such thing. “I can’t Hailey I will not be able to live with myself knowing that this thing ruin our lives.” His voice showed a sworn promise that couldn't be broken. His finger lay against the trigger, waiting for his chance.


“Dad, please … I want us to be happy, but now I know. I finally realized what actually happened on my birthday.”


Henry bit his lip, does she know about this monster? Why didn't she ever tell him?

“I didn't want to tell you sweetie, I wanted you to forget the whole incident but ...” Henry was caught short by his desperate daughter.


“But I didn't! That’s the thing! I will never forget that f****n’ night and I will not for the rest of my life.  How they were going to use me and how I was so scared I couldn't even move or scream. I wished I died before something inside me changed. But something did change that night and it wasn’t me.”


The monster twitched, it let out his ferocious scream. it tongue slithered between it teeth, licking his daughter’s face. Henry screamed at the monster, in pure agony he knew he couldn't do anything.


“DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH MY DAUGHTER!” He aimed and pulled the trigger. The bullet flew out with sparks. The impact was clear as it hit a nearby tree. Splinters flew as the gun shot echoed through the road.

Hailey quivered and trembled with fear. All she could do was let out a yelp.


The monster didn't budge, its eyes never leaving Henry. When it talked his mouth didn't move an inch, his smile still terrifying as ever. “Poor Henry, nothing left to do except beg. You know you can’t do anything else.” Its maniacal laugh mocked Henry, making him aggravated.


“If only you opened your eyes. You could see how big of a favor I am doing for you. I am saving your daughter from those scary monsters out there.” its ghastly voice raised into a raspy tone. “Oh how you are worried sick that one day your baby girl will come home hurt. How she will scream and yell at you because you didn't protect her. You knew it was impossible to protect her, but you still tried. Oh how you still tried to protect her from her own fateful destruction.”


Its voice became dark and unsettling. His smile loosened, making his eyes even more horrendous. “We both know the real world hides behinds all the lies and false promises, lulling fake dreamers to die. How eventually our loved ones will turn and hurt us in the end.” He chuckled, humoring himself. “Let’s face it, you know the perfect example of what I am talking about. I am nearly not a monster then compared to your father.”

Henry’s blood boiled. “Shut the hell up, I don’t care who’s the god damn monster, it just matters who’s between me and my daughter. “, He screamed at the top of his lungs.


The monster twisted and curved, the wind bending to its desire. It slowly thinned and covered his daughter in a violent haze. The new liquefied form infused itself with Hailey. The monster’s scream masked her daughter’s cry for help. Then, suddenly as if nothing happened the liquid remains evaporated before Henry’s eyes. The daughter stood there, her hair tossed and covered her face. She stood there hunched backed.

Henry called out her name. However, she didn't respond. Henry lowered the gun to his side, making his way closer to her. Footsteps were the only audible sound in the desolated night. Its sudden quietness felt abnormal. 

                                

                                               

                                                                          *********************

The radio burst into life. Music sprang from the old radio. “Ah finally, I was afraid you were going to die on me” Police officer Nate drove down the empty road. His hands tapping the steering wheel mimicking the music’s beat. His mind fully preoccupied by plans of what he will do when he finishes work and gets home. His eyes stared off into the pitch blackness, his headlights shining brightly through it. As he made his way around the bend of the road, he was surprised to see two people standing in the middle of the street.


Nate honked his horn, trying to get them out of the way. The beam highlighted one side of their face. Their shadows portrayed their linear silhouette. Their heads turned however, there was no response. Nate called in the station to report his situation, but he then noticed something strange. He looked at that man more carefully. The man held an unidentifiable object to his side. Nate’s eyes squinted when he tried to look at it more carefully. A dirty fragile girl alerted Nate, her skin covered with muck, tears ran down her face. He changed his light settings to high beam.


A sudden light burst from the side, her hands tried blocking the light stream, she felt dread creeping over her nerves. “Oh god please let it someone who can help us. Don’t let it be someone who can get hurt.” She talked to herself.


Henry’s gaze locked onto his daughter. He ignored the beam of light; all he wanted to know was his daughter’s safety. He took careful steps towards her. Every step brought him closer except something was wrong. Hailey was still standing there, non-responsive with hair in front of her face. She didn’t even flinch when the light turned on. Henry reached out to touch her face.


Hailey looked back at her father to see his hand reaching for her. His glazed eyes stared into her. She screamed at him, “Dad! Please don’t get any nearer! Who are you talking to?” The only response that came out of Henry’s mouth was just a mumble. His father’s hands were cut and scraped when they were running in the forest. How Henry suddenly screamed out her name, but he just sprinted into a different direction even when Hailey called out to him.


Henry hand went slower; he was still deciding whether or not this was a good idea. She didn't say anything after that thing attacked her. “It’s okay; I am not going to hurt you.” Hailey’s hair blew when the wind brushed her face, revealing the same similar smile that the monster had. A frightening giggle came from her, her laugh was deep and demonic.


Nate took action when Hailey told his father to stay back. He unclipped his holster and drew his gun. He pointed his gun at Henry. His sight was in line with the father’s torso. “Sir I want you to stay away from the girl and show me what you got in your hands.” The man walked closer to girl, still unresponsive. His mouth moving however, Nate couldn't hear anything from him.


Henry screamed in terror, his arms flaying into the air. He startled both Hailey and Nate. “Where’s my daughter!”


Hailey responded “I am right here dad, please just don’t do anything.”

Henry didn't hear her. He couldn't believe what was happening in front of him. His baby girl leaned forward and then was caught in mid-air, her body bouncing back and forth as if strings were attached to her. Her arms spread like a bird, her hands dangled down. It was like she was a dummy and something else was controlling her. This wasn’t his daughter, this was an illusion. Henry brought the gun between them. His finger began pulling the trigger.


*BAM*


A bullet flew from the gun, its muzzle flash temporally blinding everyone. Everything happened so quickly. Blood sprayed in the air, Henry’s hands still grasping the gun, he stood there in disbelief. What just happened?


Nate’s knees buckled, his eyes widened. At the tip of his gun, smoke appeared as it floated away from the barrel. The trigger pulled tightly by his finger, he then releases all the tension in his hands. He quickly sprinted at Henry, barreling him over. They tossed and turned around the pavement. Finally, Nate managed to obtain the gun in his hands.


Henry in a daze, struggled hard to get the man off him. He twists and turned, and then with a sudden burst of energy he pushed the man to the side. He mounted him and started wailing on him. His fists connected to his face with such violence. Blood stained his knuckles as he dug deep into the man. Someone grasped Henry’s shoulder and with a solid motion, managed to unbalance him and made him fall to the floor. The bullet hole in his chest felt like it was growing bigger. Blood oozed out, staining his shirt. He wheezed from the immense pain that had taken hold of him.


“Dad please stop!” Hailey began hitting her father with her weak punches. Fear was the only motivator, now it was pure desperation for a solution. With all the power she had left, she used it immobilize her father. She wasn’t doing this to save the cop or for her, but for her father. She knew in that husk of a man, somewhere there is her loving father waiting for her. She knows she cannot lose hope.


Pain spilled in his brain, staining all of his senses. He could hear his weak heart beating. It’s loud thump scared Henry. His ribs were being hit furiously into one secluded area. He turned his head to be met with his daughter. Her face was now normal. Henry stood up on his knees and he hugged his daughter.                  


“I am so glad, you’re okay. Come on; let’s see if we can get help.” Henry brought his left foot out, he pressed against it, expecting to raise himself up. He was met short when he tumbled to the side, his daughter catching him. The bullet wound in his chest clenched and tightened, making his breathing exceedingly sporadic.

Hailey winced at the sight of her father’s pain. He lets out a grunt before finally giving up. The tension in his body loosened and he lay there in her arms. The smile on his face implanted there for the entire time, Hailey promised to never forget that considerate smile. “I missed you father, please just hold on a little longer until someone comes for us.”


Henry nodded his head, finally losing his eye contact with his loving daughter. His eyes settled revealing the unconscious police officer that lay before them, the same person that tried to protect his daughter from himself. He shook his head in shame, his face losing its smile. “I am sorry officer, believe me when I say this; I never wanted this to happen.”


Hailey felt his hands gently touch her cheek. Her eyes irritated by her tears, she sobbed and placed her forehead onto his. 


“I am sorry honey, for all of this. If I even had the chance to, I would go back in time just to change this. But I can’t and now things are taking its course.” the beat in his chest became louder, but less common. He took his time saying each word with clarity. He saw the darkness envelope his daughter again, it wrapped around her. Henry was speechless, he knew what he was seeing wasn’t real, but he couldn't deny what he saw. A scarf of black swayed behind Hailey, streaking itself as it covered her. Her skin started peeling and drifted away like ash. New dark skin replaced its place. Her mouth cracked and shattered, disintegrating into grey bits. The abomination’s smile was hiding underneath so slyly.


Each beat of his heart vanquished the shadows wrapping around Hailey. It seemed to pierce the illusion, making the mist splatter, revealing her real daughter. He could he hear his own heart beat fade, making the shadows stronger and fiercer.


The palm of his hands became chilling as it rested on Hailey’s cheek. Hailey didn't have much time, she looked into her father’s eyes and said: “Dad you are the best father anyone could have. I will never regret having someone I care so much, show me the world and how true love is.” Her voice became unclear and affected by her crying.


Henry blinked uncontrollably; he squirmed with his eyes wide open. His face told her he was living a true nightmare. Its face closed the gap to Henry’s head in mere seconds. The monster’s pointed teeth resembled daggers made of bone. The hellish creature was now opening its mouth to welcome Henry’s face. The mouth expanded enormously, mere seconds away from engulfing Henry’s entire head. Henry closed his eyes; he responded calmly hoping her daughter could hear, “No I just welcomed you to it, you’re the one that showed me what love is. Now it’s your turn to find it.” A smile was made before the darkness engulfed him. Booming sirens could be heard from afar, and then suddenly light sliced through the thick veil releasing him from his burden.

 

© 2013 Xivtorc


Author's Note

Xivtorc
Thank you so much for checking it out! It would be much appreciated if you comment about how you feel about this piece.
** I am using this as a entry in a contest. I need awesome critics to correct my errors.
Did you think my use of the italics was too much? Did you understand what was the meaning of the italics? Also MOST IMPORTANT: Did you understand why the monster was there in the first place? Why it wanted his daughter? If not please tell me!
*apologize in advance if you see format errors. I had trouble pasting the word document into here.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is really great writing! I will definitely be keeping my eye on your work. The only thing that you may want to change is the use of strong language since you are entering it into a contest, as it may be seen as unprofessional (although I personally am fine with it). Keep up the good work, and also if you are into zombies them you may want to check out the book I'm working on called "When They Come" which has a pretty big twist on the zombie genre. Anyways, good work on the story, I think that you have a great chance of winning the competition!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is really great writing! I will definitely be keeping my eye on your work. The only thing that you may want to change is the use of strong language since you are entering it into a contest, as it may be seen as unprofessional (although I personally am fine with it). Keep up the good work, and also if you are into zombies them you may want to check out the book I'm working on called "When They Come" which has a pretty big twist on the zombie genre. Anyways, good work on the story, I think that you have a great chance of winning the competition!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 9, 2013
Last Updated on July 9, 2013
Tags: Horror, death, sad, love, family, monster, veil, light, violence, swearing, vulgar, scary

Author

Xivtorc
Xivtorc

Vancouver, Canada



About
Greetings! My name is Craig and I am a hard working student who's passion is to write fiction. I use writing as a form of stress release and creativity. I am currently in love with the art of writing.. more..

Writing
The Savior The Savior

A Story by Xivtorc