Chapter 1, A Diamond in a Carbon Outcrop

Chapter 1, A Diamond in a Carbon Outcrop

A Chapter by Young_Writer_115
"

The story begins as Mori and Leo eat lunch.

"

Chapter 1, A Diamond in a Carbon Outcrop



Four seconds left. Three seconds left. Two seconds left. One second left. King’s Legacy has been activated. H.O.P.E’s removal process will continue regardless.


My name is Leone Loris, but everyone calls me “Mori”. I love ramen and chicken noodle soup. “Hey Leo, could you pass the salt?” “Nah, do it yourself. Just grab it from over here.” he said as he passed the salt. I’ve lived with Leonardo for a long time, and I’m all the better for it. He taught me how to cook and so many other things, he’s the best! “So Mori, how was the seminar today?” “Oh, it was educational as usual. They didn’t really go into psychology as I would have liked, but it was still interesting.” “Mori, you know I can afford a college tuition if you want to go to one, right?” “Yeah, but sneaking in is more fun.” As a 15 year old kid who hasn’t finished high school, there’s no way I could get into a college right now. My high school is useless though, so sneaking into colleges is my primary source of knowledge. “Leo, why is your ramen so much better than mine?” “Oh Mori, don’t be like that. I still really appreciate your cooking. If I had to choose between your cooking and garbage, I would choose the garbage, obviously. But don’t let that discourage you.” I am possibly the worst cook in the world, I look at my own creation with contempt and disgust just as an artist crumples their latest drawing in paranoia. Leo taught me how to cook, but I never said I was good at cooking. “Still though, I hope I can make ramen this good someday. Huh? What’s with that look, Leo?” Leo looked like he was holding back a painful truth, I’ve seen that look many times, I wonder what he’s thinking… “Well, Mori, remember that there are many career options in life!” He changed the subject. “Also remember that you have to go shopping tomorrow. I can’t pick out your clothes for you, you’re already 16. “Oh yeah, I guess today is my birthday.” I am actually sixteen years old, apparently. “Mori, what are you talking about? I’m just pulling your leg. You already know that your birthday was unknown when I adopted you, all those years ago.” “Oh, I already know. But you know, it’s kind of nice. If I don’t know my birthday, then technically my birthday could be any day of the month. I think that’s pretty great.” “You’re a diamond in this world of granite, Mori.” Leo adopted me five years ago, March 25th, 2025. He’s never betrayed my trust. “You sound like a mom watching her child’s terrible choir performance with awe.” “Teens are so hard to deal with these days..”. I never had that kind of experience, I wonder what it would be like, to have someone like that. “Anyway, you finish eating way too quick! Are you actually inhaling your food?” said Leo in a genuinely curious manner. “It tastes really good, how could you blame me?” “Precisely! I can’t blame you, for Italian food is one of the greatest delicacies in the world!” And then I remember, that Leo has always been here for me. Real parents are annoying anyway, or so I’ve heard. “Leo, there’s a red spot on your face.” “Huh? I already used a napkin though? That’s kind of od----” The pistols boomed with a sonic fury, four shots rang out into the wind. “Leo, I almost forgot, could you pack me lunch tomorrow? I probably won’t have enough time to make my own----” A crackling gunshot sped through the room once again, the bullet’s sound resonating for seconds after the initial shot. “Mori, we’re gonna have to move again…” “But Leo! It’s only been two weeks since we’ve----” Thunder once more filled the room as the gunmen pulled out their assault rifles, shooting at a rate faster than any regular human’s reaction time. “Get ready to pack your stuff, I’ll deal with these guys really quick, and then we’ll head out.” Around forty more shots resonated before the gunmen looked in terror. “It’s okay Leo, I can do it myself this time.” I got up from my chair, a loose noodle hanging from my mouth. One, two, three, four. Four panicked gunmen were standing in the kitchen, looking like petrified wood. “Th-this is… This is the one we have to assassinate? This is insane!” said one of the gunmen while sweating more bullets than he had fired. The four gunmen were in awe and distress as they attempted to escape. Of course,  the exits were already blocked. “This kid is insane! Get through the door already!” shouted another gunmen. “I can’t! There’s something blocking the door!” the first gunman shouted in response. “What the hell are you on about! There’s nothing there!” said the third gunman, shaking intensely. While they bickered, I decided to look around for a few moments, now realizing that I now have to go somewhere else, somewhere completely new. It’s frustrating and scary, even if it is a little exciting. And it’s all because of these low life scum, although I do sympathize with them a little. “Matthew! What happened! We need a Medic! I think he’s unconscio----” One, two, two, three four. The four panicked gunmen were now on the floor. It’s a pain to deal with these guys, and I wish they would just go away… “You stupid brat! This one is for my comrades!” The pistol bullet zoomed incredibly fast, but it was useless. I counted, and there were exactly sixty bullets that had been shot so far. Each one was held in place in the air, stopped in place, motionless. “What kind of monster are y---” Five. There were five gunmen. That last one was quite annoying, I considered putting his head in the toilet, but decided against it. “Did you take care of them Mori? I was almost worried!” shouted Leo from the living room. “Come on, you know people like these guys could never hurt me…” I quietly replied. That was a lie, their words have much more power than their bullets. “I know, I know, and also, sorry for the short notice, but it’s time to pack our bags. You know how it is.” Leo somberly stated. “Yeah, give me a couple minutes.” I said as I floated to my room. My name is Leone “Mori” Loris, I love ramen and all types of noodles. I’ve lived with Leo for five years, moving from place to place. I am very good at card games, and have multiple victories under my belt. And finally, I happen to be an extremely powerful psychic.




© 2019 Young_Writer_115


Author's Note

Young_Writer_115
Tell me if my first chapter is captivating enough. If it isn't that good, then please say so and tell me why you think why, also giving some advice helps. Thank you for reading my chapter, all of you who decided to do so.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on March 21, 2019
Last Updated on March 21, 2019
Tags: Adventure, Supernatural, Teen, Fiction, Mystery


Author

Young_Writer_115
Young_Writer_115

Yonkers, NY



About
I'm a high school student who wants to take a crack at writing, maybe get a book published someday. I've written short narratives, but this is going to be my first attempt at a fiction work. I hope yo.. more..

Writing