Chapter 1 -The Camp-

Chapter 1 -The Camp-

A Chapter by Jacob
"

Peter is on his trip home when his life changed forever with a single newspaper, and a strange character.

"
I remember years ago, the last time I was a free person, I was in a empty railroad car heading to my district. The Farmers' District was not the wealthiest, nor the brightest, but it was home and after a long trip visiting my cousin in the new Western Mining District, I was excited. I could finally go home and take a nice long bath, my brown hair, long and wavy, was not set up for day long trips traveling on a hot, humid train. I also wanted to treat the minor sunburn on my shoulders from being outside during the trip. My tanned skin was used to the sun here, but in the mountains, to the west, it was easily much hotter there. 
The overhead announcer broadcasts the Farmers' District slogans as it declares the short arrival of the train. 
"Corn and Wheat along with the hard work of our farmers keeps millions alive in districts that can not grow enough food on their own. It was in the years after the Wheat Plague that lead to the starvation of many citizens of Endland, which lead to the established the Farmers' District by our great leader at the time President Gold. Now nearly 90% of all food comes from the Farmers' District."
Ugh, why do they make us listen to facts about our district? We are the most isolated district. There are no visitors that care enough to know. Only scientists and our government officials come in and out of this district. Apparently in years past people used to be able to move districts and roam from one to another because they felt like it. But no. Now there is almost no traveling and it is nearly impossible to book a trip. I had to undergo questioning and background checks. to simply travel to see my cousin.
While thinking about the problems with traveling I notice two strange things, a new announcement added to the facts of our district. 
"And remember citizens, anyone caught traveling with goods from different districts that has not been checked in by our luggage inspector shall be arrested on arrival of the Farmers' District. Have a nice day."
Such a strange law, I wonder why it was enacted, maybe a thief. That is when I noticed the second strange thing, the man standing across from me was holding a paper, the words on it were nonsense. They were mere scribbles not words of meaning and the man seemed to be engulfed by their meaning. 
Suddenly as if the man knew he was being watched he dropped the paper and walked to the door and went to the next cart. I walked over to the paper and picked it up. Having no idea what the words meant I studied the images. They were images of fires and bodies along with soldiers that looked like the soldiers that worked within the Farmer's District beating people with clubs. 
The cart door swings open loudly as soldiers pour in, in seconds I am within handcuffs. My rights are being shouted to me at I am shoved against the wall I was leaning against. My face is trust into the wall and I feel hands ripping off my old wool jacket and frisking me. Then an old man walks in. 
"Sit him up so I can see his face." He barks
I am lifted then sat down on the back of my legs in a half kneeling half sitting position. 
"So Jeffery how does it feel being caught?" He stares into my eyes and I taste the slick taste of my blood pouring into my mouth, I try to speak but it only comes out as mumbles along with the spewing of my blood onto the floor. I do not remember being hit so hard, and I have no idea what is happening, this must be a mistake but I can not even try to make myself speak. My nerves tense up, these people must learn that this is a mistake. Then it happens. 
"Sir. I ran his face through the recondition system this is Peter Poloid, son of Jeremy Poloid and Kristen News, agricultural farmer. This is not the right person." 
I see the change in the older man's eyes in seconds. He literally goes from glade to catch you criminal, to how am I going to cover this up? 
"Plea- Please," I spewer with large amounts of blood, "what is going on?" My muscles tired from carrying my suitcases all day can not even fight back if they tried. The old man stands up and frowns then walks to a window. 
"You made a mistake." He says to the man who told him I was not the right person. Then before he can even protest the older man withdraws a gun and shoots him in the head. His white uniform is soon soaked with blood  draining onto the floor where I am being held, seeping into my brown pants. 
"Sorry Peter, but we can not let you go now, especially since you just killed a soldier; who was trying to apologize for the misunderstanding; out of your rage. You will be the monster who killed a man with a pregnant wife for arresting you. When he released you, you grabbed his gun and shot him. I just stopped you from shooting another soldier. I, am a hero." 
I look at this man confused what is he talking about? I just witnessed a murder and I am being framed for it? What is happening?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything is explained to me shortly afterword and I have two choices, tell the truth and be a liar who murdered someone. Or lie say I did it and escape the gallows despite popular civilian opinion. I will never see my family again and they will think I am a monster. I will be transferred to the Reform District to be evaluated to see if I am of any use to anyone. I had no idea what was happening but I tried to stay calm. I knew this had to be sorted out, my government would never do this to me. But while they did everything they did, I learned a lot from whisperers at the Reform District. This is the Camp, and no one here is guilty.


© 2013 Jacob


Author's Note

Jacob
This is my intro and I just want to know what everyone thinks of my character for Peter and just comment what you think is good, bad and everything in between.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on November 29, 2013
Last Updated on December 10, 2013
Tags: strange, mysterious, mistake, Endland, government, oppression


Author

Jacob
Jacob

Chicago, IL



About
My name is Jacob and I aspire to be a write among other things. This dream is not a new one but one I started to recently consider as something that can be done. I hope that my writings will one day b.. more..

Writing
Reformation Reformation

A Book by Jacob