FALLOUT aftermath of the great war

FALLOUT aftermath of the great war

A Story by VicIsSexy69

Prologue (Before the “great war”)
For most of human history, the Fallout universe and the real world shared a common timeline. However, in 1945, significant political and technological differences in the Fallout timeline set it on a different course. In 1947, the transistor was not discovered and miniaturization of electronics was neglected. Sometime before 1969, in an attempt to mitigate the influence of Communism, the United States adopts a system of 13 Commonwealths. In 1970, China fails to adopt any free market reforms and ends up retaining a political and economic structure similar to what it had under Communist Party Chairman Mao Zedong. In 1991, the USSR did not collapse.
No major international conflicts would take place until the middle of the twenty-first century. In 2052, the oil rich Middle East nations raised oil prices causing the economic collapse of many smaller countries. The European Commonwealth (analogous to the real world European Union), similarly dependent on oil imports from the Middle East, begins the Resource Wars by responding with military force. The United Nations, weakened by its inability to prevent the conflict, attempts to intervene. Many of its member nations respond by withdrawing and the UN disbands that year.
The United States, supplied with oil from Texas and Mexico, escaped any direct impact from the Resource Wars. However, the U.S. would soon have significant problems of its own. In 2052, the Texas oil fields run dry, making the country severely vulnerable to energy shortages. In 2053, the New Plague begins to ravage the U.S. population, causing an estimated 200,000 deaths and prompting the government to close the country's international borders. Nuclear fears grip the country when, in the same year, Tel Aviv is destroyed by a terrorist nuclear weapon and, in the following year, warring nations exchange nuclear weapon strikes in the Middle East. In response, the Americans begin Project Safe house: a series of underground Vaults designed to survive nuclear war or an epidemic.
In 2059, oil resources grow increasingly scarce. To secure the Alaskan oil fields the United States ramps up its military presence in that state, creating the Anchorage Front Line. Relations with Canada grow increasingly strained as the Americans press to have their military units stationed on Canadian soil to protect the Alaskan pipeline.
In 2060, the Middle East oil fields run dry. This not only ends the Resource Wars in Europe, but the European Commonwealth as well. Without a common enemy, the European nations begin fighting among each other for the remaining resources. Fossil fuels become too expensive to use in automobiles and alternatives begin to appear in the market. Advances in nuclear technology pave the way for nuclear fusion to replace traditional fossil fuel-based combustion engines in automobiles and other vehicles.
GreatWar000
Great War
In 2066, the Resource Wars shift to the other side of the globe. China, their oil reserves exhausted and their economy near collapse, invades Alaska. America strong-arms Canada into allowing troops and planes to move across Canadian territory on their way to the Alaskan theatre. Relations between the neighbouring countries would continue to worsen as the Americans help themselves to Canadian resources, ignoring Canadian protests. Many Americans begin referring to Canada as "Little America." Their comments do not help the situation.
In 2072, the Sino-American War grinds on. While American power armour proves effective in localized conflicts, it fails to completely dislodge Chinese forces. The U.S. continues to demand more resources from Canada. When an attempt is made to sabotage the oil pipeline, the Americans (officially) begin to annex Canada. In 2076, the annexation is complete. Also that year Americans deploy the T-51b power armour to the Chinese mainland. The suits are highly effective and American troops cut a swath through Chinese territory.
In early 2077, the Americans reclaim Alaska but no armistice is signed. Those in positions to foresee the nuclear conflagration make final preparations: Robert House puts himself in stasis. The President and the Enclave retreat to the Poseidon oil rig. The American public, having been exposed to too many false alarms, largely ignore the warning sirens when the bombs begin to fall. Many Vaults are underpopulated as their doors are shut.
In the early hours of October 23, 2077, the world--as everyone knew it--ended. Missiles and bombs rained from the sky, engulfing the world in flames in an event that would become known as the Great War. Cities and nations fell, and humanity descended into a nuclear Dark Age. Many believed it was the end of human civilization, but instead it was simply the beginning of a new and bloody chapter.  
Chapter 1
The sun’s rays shun down on the soft yellow sand the sound of the ocean crashing onto the shore the sounds of children running freely to the water splashing each other while the dogs run around and fetching balls and parents sitting on beach towels having conversations about their day Sam was sitting at the beach with her parents watching her sibling run and splash around with the other kids. An hour passed by and her parents called her brother back he run up the yellow hill of sand like he was one of the dogs chasing a ball. Sam and her family got home and she threw herself down onto the couch while her brother had to have a shower Sam was watching the news while her parents help each other make dinner her house hold robot named Richard by her brother he thought was funny but Sam just thought it was plain stupid. Sam’s brother came out of the shower wearing nothing but a towel around his waist and he sat down her mum immediately turned around and told him to get dressed he got up in a kafuffle and stomped to his run in a grump. Just as he walked out there was a sudden knock on her front door “I’ll get it!” Sam yelled as she got up and walked to the door, Sam opened the door to see a young man with a blue tie and a brown suite wearing a brown fedora “Vault-Tec calling” the random man said as he nodded holding the brim of the fedora and stepping forward Sam stared at him for a second as he awkwardly stood there waiting for a response. Sam turned to look at her parents and said “There is someone at the door!” The well-dressed man gave her a weird look as she walked off and her dad greeted the man at the door they had a very long conversation and her dad signed a clipboard the man had in his hand earlier the man left and her dad closed the door and went back to the kitchen “what was that all about?” her mother asked with a concerned tone in her voice. “Nothing it was nothing, ok kid’s dinner!” her father replied.
Sam and her family were only ten minutes into dinner when Richard did something they thought he never would he sounded worried… “Um guys you should hear this!?” Richard cried “What is it Richard!?” Her dad jumped up and cried in a panic. Richard went towards the T.V. and turned up the volume and what they heard left them in shock and sudden terror. We have reports of bright flashing lights followed by the sound of explosions, oh god we now have confirmed reports of nuclear detonations in New York and Pennsylvania oh my god…. The T.V. cut out.
Chapter 2
her dad quickly grabbed everyone and told them to run they all ran out of the house in a panic to see people running and screaming panicking and trying to pack their cars as quick as they could Sam’s dad grabbed her hand along with her mum’s her mum then grabbed her brother and they all run where ever her dad was taking them they ran up a pathway to see many other people running to the same place as well they ran into a fence guarded by men in power armour armed with mini guns and a marine with a list of names her dad let them go and ran up to them and talked to them the man with the clipboard stood aside and her dad told them to follow him and so they did the got to a large round blue platform and they stood there with another 2 families and it was all quite for a few seconds until there was a blinding flash and the sound of an explosion in the distance their eyes cleared only to see a large mushroom cloud children cried while their parents crouched over them acting as human shields but Sam just stood there and stared in horror the platform began to lower as a cloud of radioactive dust and debris rushed toward them Sam screamed the platform had lowered enough to spare their lives by an approximate of 2 meters the entered an underground facility. “what is this place?” Sam’s mum asked her father he looked at her and replied “some kind of underground nuclear bomb shelter called a vault I think? It was built to keep human life going over 200 years after the events of nuclear war using some advanced technology called cryogenics…” Sam and her family then walked forward to be greeted by a man with a badge saying overseer he told them to walk up the stair case and turn left to retrieve their vault 47 jumpsuit they then proceeded up the stairs and retrieved their jumpsuit they were then greeted by a man wearing a lab coat over his jumpsuit “I see you all have your jumpsuit’s, if you don’t mind could you please follow me?” Sam and her family nodded and looked at the other families before following the man in the coat.
He leaded them to a room filled with cryogen pods they are then told to put on their vault jumpsuits before entering the pods the rest of Sam’s family complied and did as told to Sam hesitated and looked around in a panic and then finally stripped down and puts on her vault jumpsuit the man then open the pods and told everyone to enter one and so they did once they entered the door on the pods closed and it began to cryogenically freeze them.
~200 years later~
 Sam awoke and the pod door opened and she stumbled out shivering and hugging herself she looked around to see the walls rusting and cut power cables fizz and sparkle she then notices bullet holes through the glass window in the pods and blood surrounding the holes she panics and checks for her family but only finds the bodies of her mum and father rivers of tears begin to flow down her cheeks as she weeps and opens her mother’s pod. Her mother’s body stood there crouched over Sam stepped into pod and took the neckless off her cold mum’s neck and put it on she then hugged her mum and stepped out she then closed her mother’s pod and walk away but wait a second her brother she panicked and looked around but found nothing but another empty pod, maybe her brother’s alive Sam then ran down the hallway and checked every corner it was only when she was a room away from the vault door when she saw a skeletons hand poking out from a corner a sudden sense of dread filled her mind and she ran as fast as she could Sam then grinded to sudden stop.
Sam examined the small skeleton with a 10mm pistol in one hand it was him there was dry blood on the wall behind his head and he had a bullet hole through his skull she picked up her brother’s skeleton and sat down hugging him screaming in terror, anger and mourning. Sam then put him down and removed the gun from his hand and walked towards the vault door. She then realised there was something in his other hand and she ran back she stared at it for a bit, before picking it up “a pip-boy?” Sam said to herself she put it on her left arm and walked away one last time.
Chapter 3
Sam entered the vault door control room and plug the pip-boy into the control panel to reactivate the door. Once the door was activated she then began to walk towards the door once the door was open she then stepped onto the blue platform that originally saved not just her life but her family’s and 2 other families. The platform lifted up and Sam was hit by a blinding light it was the sun Sam used tried to use her hand to help see better but it was no use, after a good minute her eyes finally adjusted and she was left to see everything she knew and once loved destroyed. Sam dropped to her knees once again and covered her mouth with both hands in shocks a small trail of tears flowed slowly down her still cold left hand before hitting the ground she eventually got herself back together she then began to walk towards her now war torn house upon entering her house she found Richard laying on the ground rusted but… he wasn’t completely gone Same looked carefully to notice the fuel gage that was facing her showed that it was empty Sam raced towards the laundry to find the Mr. Handy fuel canister. Sam walked up to Richard and opened his fuel hatch and began pouring the fuel into back into him, Once Sam had filled her families old house hold robot she closed the fuel hatch and placed the empty canister on the ground and Richard turned himself back on and got back up. “ah Sam how have you been? Where did you go? Wait no scratch, where is everyone?”, Richard said. Sam let out a sigh “A better place than this Richard”. Sam said trying not to cry again, “I, I don’t know what to say Sam I’m so sorry about your I mean our loss”. Richard replied in shock. “it’s ok Richard I think you should stay here in case I return though”, Sam told Richard. “Are you sure mam?” Richard asked. “Yes I am Richard don’t worry I be fine, good luck”. Sam said with a smile on her face surprisingly. “And good luck to you too mam”. Richard said as Sam began to walk away into the distance.
Chapter 4
Sam began her first journey into the wasteland that was once New York, Sam had just exited her neighbourhood when she heard a rustle in the bushes. Sam pulled out the 10mm pistol that she found with her brother’s corpse and pointed it at the bushes and then a dog walked out a fluffy black and brown dog, a German shepherded. The dog was whimpering and slowly walked up to Sam with its head and ears down and then looked at her at her as if it wanted to show or tell her something. “What is it boy”. Sam said to the dog assuming it was a boy. The dog then began walking back to where he came from and she followed she eventually could see after getting out from the bushes only to see the poor dog sitting next to a corpse of a young man that was in baggy shredded clothes and holding a note in his right hand. “Who is it boy?” She asked they dog but it didn’t move it just stared at the body like it had just seen the death of its best friend. Sam then walked up to the corpse and picked up the note and it read. Shopping Raiding list:
For Dogmeat: Canned dog food x5, Bottle of water (clean) x6.
For me: Instant mash x3, baked beans x2, Bottle of water (clean or dirty) x3
For Dogmeat and I: Stim pack x10, Rad Away x7, Blood x2
Sam then looked at the depressed dog and said “Dogmeat”! and the dog turned and looked at her and then walked up to her. “Was that your owner, Dogmeat?” The dog then began to whimper. Sam then petted its soft and fluffy head and she stood up, “I’m so sorry boy, how about you come with me hey, how does that sound?” The dogs’ ears popped back up and it began panting. Sam then searched the man’s backpack and found 5 stim packs, 2 rad aways, 4 cans of dog food, 2 cans of baked beans, 5 bottles of clean water, 2 bottles of dirty water, and 1 dog food bowl.
Sam then took the dog food, clean water and the dog food bowl and placed it on the ground and put the dog food on one side and clean water on the other, Dogmeat began eating and drinking like no tomorrow but half way through his meal he stopped and turned around and walked in front of Sam and began growling, he was on guard too. “what is it boy”? Sam asked but got no response and then she heard people talking “Damn I knew we should’ve killed that dog as well, let’s go back and finish the job”. She heard someone say in a deep raspy voice. “Fine let’s go”. Someone else said but it was just a plain deep voice nothing to special about it, she then heard rustling in the bushes Dogmeat’s growling got louder Sam the laid down and pointed her pistol in the direction of the rustling. Two men emerged armed with automatic rifles emerged from the bushes Dogmeat leaped at one of them while the other went to go help his friend Sam shot him in the head and he fell to the ground Sam got up noticing the man screaming in pain and throwing his limbs about she then noticed that Dogmeat was gnawing on the man’s neck while holding him down, Sam then realised what she heard earlier and realised what they were saying earlier, they killed Dogmeat’s previous owner but she didn’t just notice she remembered the face it was the man from the vault the one who should them the pods. 
Chapter 5
Sam busted into a sudden rage and shot all his limbs and he dropped the gun Sam then told Dogmeat to stand behind her and he did so. Sam then sat on the man and asked him what he did and who he was truly worked for but he just laughed and showed her a note she grabbed the note only to read,
F**k you!
~John Greenwood.
Sam then forced her fingers into the holes that Dogmeat made with his teeth and then ripped his throat open he let out a ear piercing screech of excruciating pain. Sam then said get him Dogmeat, Dogmeat then jumped on him biting what was left of his neck and throat after he died Dogmeat hoped off and walked back to his bowl. Sam searched John to find another note that read.
Raider Contract:
Kill Kevin Beckons= 100 bottle caps
Kill Kevin’s dog= 50 bottle caps
Sam put the note in her pocket and waited for Dogmeat to finish before packing up everything into the backpack, she then put the backpack on and said. “Dogmeat, Let’s go boy”. Dogmeat began following her as she walked to the north…

© 2016 VicIsSexy69


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on May 26, 2016
Last Updated on May 26, 2016
Tags: Fallout, War, nuclear, murder, dog, dogmeat, communists, vault

Author

VicIsSexy69
VicIsSexy69

Your mum, Your mother, Australia



About
I like c**k... as in chickens... more..

Writing