Break Away

Break Away

A Poem by Yvette Shaw
"

About breaking away from the family you grew up with, to have a family of your own.

"

                        Break Away

 

The struggle for independence, starts when your young

An urge for adventure, rises with the sun

 

We all struggle for that strength, we have deep inside

Hidden most of our lives, by family ties

 

The right way, the wrong way, what the family says goes

Regardless of owned experiences, impossible for them to

know.

 

We leave, we come back, changed all the same

To a world, unlike you, that remains unchanged

 

Grow up, act your age, repetedly chanted

Once done; unspoken, its easily recanted

 

The struggle for independence eventually won, only

to come back...

 

Reminded why we'd run.

        Yvette Shaw

 

 

© 2008 Yvette Shaw


Author's Note

Yvette Shaw
I wrote this after a recent "Family" event. It amazed me how the "Adult's" treated us; now "Adult's". We are all over the age 30, and most of us have children of our own. Yet our parent's, aunt's, anyone who was an adult when we were children, seemed to have somehow missed that we had all grown up. It was unsettling to watch. But that's family right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Regardless of owned experiences, - This is a wonderfully written line!

unspoken, its easily recanted - as is this one!

Reminded why we'd run. - Yes, remembering is sometimes the hardest part, isn't it?

I remember the first time I went "home"...at the time, I smoked cigarettes, but I did not in front of "her". I also did not curse in front of "her". (not my mom, but the woman who raised me) And, were she still alive, I know I would still respect her house in such a manner, no matter how grown I am.

This is truly wonderful and I enjoyed it very much. Great job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Sounds like a page from my family. This is a great write. I can really identify .

Posted 15 Years Ago


The children will always be the children and sometimes love can smoother.

Your words expresses you feelings well, clear and even flow.

Nice write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Yes it is so true how family members make molds of us and expect us to stay in them. There are molds of what we should be and molds of what we are stuck being. They have trouble seeing us past the age of 13. Thanks.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Regardless of owned experiences, - This is a wonderfully written line!

unspoken, its easily recanted - as is this one!

Reminded why we'd run. - Yes, remembering is sometimes the hardest part, isn't it?

I remember the first time I went "home"...at the time, I smoked cigarettes, but I did not in front of "her". I also did not curse in front of "her". (not my mom, but the woman who raised me) And, were she still alive, I know I would still respect her house in such a manner, no matter how grown I am.

This is truly wonderful and I enjoyed it very much. Great job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wonderful! (no more needs to be said!)

family is family, and life cannot hand out unconditional love to every human being on earth,
so maintaining and learning to get along starts in the home. right?

this is just great!


Posted 15 Years Ago


~smiles~ perfectly expressed Yvette... I identify with this 100%

I love how you manage to express those feelings of frustration so often left unexpressed ...and it's not because we don't love them but familys are infuriating at the best of times ~grins~
...smoothering with love (usually disguised as critisim and restraint)
...the ones that know us better than anybody (without ever really knowing us at all)

honestly refreshing... great write ;)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yvette, I am twenty-seven yrs old, and i still live with my parents. They treat me like an equal,
but it is wonderful at times to be embraced by a parent.


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

289 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2008

Author

Yvette Shaw
Yvette Shaw

Long Beach, CA



About
I have written one Lesbian Novel... Alpha Female Visit Black Lesbian Friends 40+ more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..