Two Halves: chapter 8

Two Halves: chapter 8

A Chapter by aaaa
"

Chapter 8 of two halves... not much more to say

"

He awoke what felt like days later. It was pitch black inside the container and they seemed to be moving. He rose and absentmindedly reached to scratch his ear. He hit something next to his head.

 

“Ouch! No need to be rough, I was just tryin to wake ya up.” Said Zeckle from the space immediately above his left shoulder.

 

“What are you doing out of the flute?” Asked Nicolas, he couldn’t see the fiend but he could feel his presence radiating from the point where his essence was.

 

“I took the initiative and sent out a sensory imp. He will go out and look and see where we are. I sent em out cause I felt us pass the dimensional wall ‘bout ten minutes ago.” Said Zeckle. His high squeaky voice not hiding his excitement. Nicolas was not used demons with personalities. On the few occasions what he used them they always had a emotional inhibitor.

 

“He should be back in a minute or two.” At this a small glowing beetle entered though a small hole in the crate. It illuminated the inside of the box nicely despite it being only a inch long. It was bright blue and covered in fine white hair. Every so often a spark of electricity would arc between the hairs. Ernie had sparred no expense. This was a very nice sensory imp.

 

“So whats the report lil’ guy.” Said Zeckle as he got closer to the imp. It started to make small clicks and squeaks. Zeckle would nod his head every so often and sometimes whistle a response. The imp seemed to finish and did a movement that was the closest an insect form could come to puffing out its chest. The little thing was proud of what it had done. Nicolas chuckled for a moment, maybe them having free thought wouldn’t be so bad.

 

“So, he says right now we are being brought into a warehouse near the dimensional docks. he says there aren't any gaurds on this side of the gate, and only a few dock workers. We are gonna get dropped off in a few minutes then we can make our way outta here.” Said Zeckle. His small gray form had sat down in the corner of the box and faced Nicolas.

 

“Oh, back in the flute.” Said Nicolas to the sensory imp. It skittered around for a few moments and didn’t dissolve in order to enter the flute.

 

“He wants a treat. He did a good job and thinks he deserves something. I suggest you give it to em. It’s nice for a summoner’s demons to like him, believe me.” Said Zeckle from the corner, grinning. Nicolas considered this for a moment, and decided the little thing had done a good job. He stuck out his finger towards the imp, and a small pinprick of magic collected at the tip of his finger. The spark slowly floated towards the imp who unfurled his wings and flew up to eat the spark. Strange things demons, feeding on magic, but it did make them happy, he supposed.

 

“Now there ya go, a happy familiar makes a happy master.” The imp dissolved into a bright blue smoke and reentered the flute, taking its illumination with it. It was again pitch dark in the crate. Nicolas knew he wouldn’t be able to go back to sleep so he decided to get some light. He fumbled with the case for a moment and thought, Lantern. The case opened to reveal his magician’s lantern. It was a strange devise, containing a small crystal that conducted magic. It was entirely made of copper, one of the few metals to transfer magic. When exposed to a magical current the crystal would glow, and was far more efficient than converting magic into fire. He grabbed the handle and began to pump magic into it. The small round opening began to glow yellow and the small crate was visible again.

 

At that moment the lurching of the large container stopped. He waited a minute to make sure they had really come to rest there. He then pushed his back against the roof of the crate until it opened. It was equally dark in the large chamber and the crates seem to have shifted some. It was good that it had been a overall smooth ride, or they would have been curried under the boxes.

 

“Bestalel, we’ve stopped. Time to get out. We need to head out of here.” He knocked on the roof of the crate. There was no reply. He waited a minute longer, and still nothing. He struggled for a minute with the lid of the box. Bestalel was sitting in the crate cross-legged, and seemed to be saying something under his breath. Nicolas reached out and tapped his shoulder. He started.

 

“Sorry, sir. I was saying a battle prayer for our journey, and I became absorbed with my mediation.” Said Bestalel apologetically. Nicolas looked at his hand. The tips of his fingers were singed. It seemed that the prayer was more than a good luck charm. Bestalel must be praying to a deity with some real power. He stood up and got out of his crate. Zeckle perched on Nicolas’s shoulder.

 

“Will you not do that! Get back into the flute,” whispered Nicolas angrily to the fiend. It looked at Nicolas and shrugged.

 

“Why should I. You will be a lot safer if I stay with you, and besides it’s crowded in that flute, and I hate being crowded.” He said, and sat down on Nicolas’s shoulder. It was true. It would be helpful to have him ready at all times, but… It just seemed so unprofessional having your demon out constantly. Everyone normally kept theirs in some kind of summoning implement, but what should he care now, really. He decided to let the demon ride on his shoulder.

 

They again crept between the stacks of crates in the container. It was a even tighter squeeze than last time. Seemed as if the nano-bots in his body were still putting the finishing touches of his physique, and had gone into overtime while he slept. They eventually came to the front of the container. Nicolas took the flute from his back pocket and blew one shrill note. Several lines of blue mist darted from the flute and snaked away into the room beyond.



© 2010 aaaa


Author's Note

aaaa
we learn a little about the demons

P.S. I love lil blue beetle demon :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

you're missing a word and also a typo in the third paragraph
fourth paragraph from the bottom could use some looking at.
a few grammar mistakes throughout, but again, nothing serious.
Overall it could use some more discription, like whats going on outside, while Nicolas is in the container.
The story is still going very strong.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"It just seemed so unprofessional having your demon out constantly. Everyone normally kept theirs in some kind of summoning implement" I love it! You make it sound oh so commonplace :-)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Gettting good, I'm really into this story. Keep writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


You get better, and I want to read more.

Posted 14 Years Ago


you're missing a word and also a typo in the third paragraph
fourth paragraph from the bottom could use some looking at.
a few grammar mistakes throughout, but again, nothing serious.
Overall it could use some more discription, like whats going on outside, while Nicolas is in the container.
The story is still going very strong.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great job! I have to agree, the sensory demon is pretty cool. c:

There was only one problem/typo that I found.
It was entirely made of copper, one of the few metals to transferred magic.

I believe it should be transfer..

Overall, great piece.. getting better and better.

Posted 14 Years Ago


He scratched his head absentmindedly and accidentally hit something next to his ear(this is one of those sentences where you could do an adverb edit. Suggested revise. Example: Weary and absentminded, he rose too quick, scratching the top of his head and snagging his ear on some unseen object. Okay, not the best example, but you get the picture lol)

“So whats the report lil’ guy.” Said Zeckle as he got closer to the imp. ( a tense thing.

Other than that, you have an interesting story going and I would like to see where it is heading.

Posted 14 Years Ago


i really like this chapter, the names you gave them are really cool:)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

942 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2010
Last Updated on April 20, 2010
Tags: Dark, Gay, Hate, LGBT, Life, Sad, adventure, death, epression, fantasy, fiction, heart, horror, lost, love, pain, poem, poetry, romance, teen, two, halves, science

Two Halves


Author

aaaa
aaaa

Tracy, CA



About
aaaa more..

Writing
Sky Rails Sky Rails

A Book by aaaa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Music The Music

A Poem by A.Lee


Forest Man Forest Man

A Poem by aaaa


The Deal is Struck The Deal is Struck

A Chapter by aaaa


Shadowed Hero Shadowed Hero

A Poem by A.Lee