Two Halves: chapter 14

Two Halves: chapter 14

A Chapter by aaaa
"

chapter 14 of two halves :D

"

It was hours later. Heather had said goodbye to them when they had reentered the hotel. She apparently lived in some apartment further down in the market. Zeckle had immediately crashed onto the bed, and had morphed into what looked like child’s foot pajamas when she had fallen asleep. He was sure he had seen them in the market while they had been shopping.

 

The market surely had been strange. Much stranger than the magic district back home. Compared to the odd curios and strange devises from the shops back home these were on a entirely different level. All kinds of metal contraptions with far to many edges, and horns guaranteed to do mysterious things had littered the troughs. One man had claimed that he was going to sell him a drum that caused storms, though how a storm could exist in non-dimensional space was beyond him.

 

He was sitting on his bed reading and rereading his folder. Trying to memorize every single detail contained within the pages. He was going to have to assume the role perfectly is he was going to find his way past security, but he was starting to wonder when the time to get past security would come.

 

He had known that they were going to have to spend some time in non-dimensional space in order to gain allies to fight Salex Corps, but he had not expected it to take this long. From Bestalel’s disappearance it seemed as if Ernie had far more friends in this world than he had first anticipated.

 

Though Ernie was the leader of the Crying Saints. He was probably the largest dealer in blacklisted magical items in either dimension, and certainly is the space between. More demon energy went through his trade routes then the governments occult division. His eyes hurt from reading for to long. It had probably been hours since their return, but from what was going on outside you wouldn’t have known. Everything was just as it was. People bartered, and life went on despite it being what should be midnight.

 

He lifted his finger to the small imp floating above his shoulder. It had been giving a faint glow for him to read by. Giving the imps these little treats had become a habit. They seemed to enjoy it, and were much happier to work for him because of it. Reading from the light filtering through the windows would have probably been possible, but he didn’t want to strain his eyes.

 

Then a shadow flashed by the window. He sat up and looked out of it, and came face to face with Bestalel. He was once again in his Chameleon suit, and only his face was visible. It appeared to be floating there in front of him. The face did its best to motion for Nicolas to open the window. He did and the face crawled in and the same time solidified into Bestalel’s form.

 

“I have established contacts with several groups. Including the Lovten Cartel and The Yenten, but if we are to succeed we need the support of the Rust River Raiders. They are the largest gang in this city, and will be essential to completing our mission. I have already talked with their leader, and he has requested to meet with you before he agrees to join us.”  He spoke as if relaying a report to a commander. Nicolas thought for a moment then walked over to where Zeckle was sleeping and shook her shoulder.

 

“Wha- what is it?” Stirred Zeckle. She sat up and rubbed her eyes. Then she looked around the room and says Bestalel, and got a serious look on her face. In the blink of a eye her pajamas had disappeared and she was sitting in her market clothing.

 

“Sir, I must ask you to be ready for a fight. I need you to prepare for all possible eventualities when we enter Rust River territory.” Spoke Bestalel, ignoring Zeckle.

 

“OK, give me a minute. You two leave the room. I am going to change.” Said Nicolas as he reached under his bed. Under it was the demon’s sack suitcase. They both left the room quietly as Nicolas rummaged through the clothing and various equipment.

 

He peeled off the pen-striped suit he had been wearing ever since he had had the Gene-mod. It felt like days ago. He wondered if Kyle was still plodding away at his work. Nicolas stashed his blood red tie lovingly into the case along with his clothing. He withdrew a leather jerkin and cowl. The sleeved were cut to allow for the placing of various equipment belts on the arms, and the cowl merely had slits for him to see through.

 

He pulled these on as he examined the several arm belts he had. Each of them containing different equipment for different purposes. He pulled out baggy leather trousers as he thought. They were covered in zippers for various reagents and potions to be placed. Nicolas finally decided on a potion belt from the pile. It had been one of his own design, with special syringes. Most alchemists ingested their potions he found that injection was much more efficient. The potions were roughly the size of eggs, and contained within a waxy substance. On one side there was a plastic cap with a needle extending from it. He merely had to ram it into his arm and squeeze. The wax containers would collapse and force fluid into his veins.

 

It was also a war belt, and contained many battle potions. Next he selected another belt and strapped it onto his other shoulder. He slid his flute into this. Various pouches covering it contained binding agents and small reagents.

 

He finally clasped a belt around his waist. On it was his magician’s lanterns and his personal Grimoire on a chain. In it was personal notes on particular spells he had invented or improved, and recipes for potions he was created. I look like a true alchemist now, he thought as he filled the many pockets on his pants with reagents and runes. He hadn’t worn his battle gear in ages, and was reveling in the feeling.

 

“You can come in now.” He called towards the door. Bestalel and Zeckle came in looking angry. They had obviously had an argument in the corridor.

 

“Sir, I assumed this young woman was simply someone you had picked up from the market, and while I do not recommend this I can not stop you. However from what she had said she is a high class demon, and I can not permit he coming with us.” Bestalel spoke angrily, avoiding Zeckle’s glare.

 

“I only wanna help. I already told you I am the clan guardian. Nick is entitled to me by birthright. Come on Nick. Tell him I can go.” Zeckle pleaded with Nicolas in a whining voice.

 

“ I am sorry Bestalel, but I need to side with Zeckle. She is a high-class demon, and will come in handy. However I have one condition. While we are in the market you must disguise yourself as an imp. You can turn back once we get into Rust River’s place.” Said Nicolas. Bestalel seemed satisfied with this, and though Zeckle pouted she transformed into the tiny imp and hopped onto his shoulder. Zeckle, now a he dug his claws into Nicolas’s shoulder, annoyed.

 

“Let us get going. We shouldn’t keep the Laughing Cowboy waiting.” Said Bestalel.



© 2010 aaaa


Author's Note

aaaa
First of all. I just want to tell all of those who had concerns of why Nicolas is doing this that it shall be explained soon. Or at least you shall receive more bits of information. When we talk to The Laughing Cowboy we shall have some more info.

also I am sorry, but again it is to late for me to edit. If there is anything in here to annoying please inform me so I can change it. Otherwise please just enjoy the chapter.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

still sort of cutting between last chapter and this one.
same grammar stuff, spotted a few missing letters and such.
The dialogue could be better in that last paragraph, but its not completely stiff.
keep going with this, still can't wait to find out what happens next.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

another great chapter

Posted 13 Years Ago


I agree with Domenic's review and I noted a few misspellings. I also agree with Dutch, it is getting interesting and the pace is steady. Just try not to let get to a droning state. Throw a little spice in here and there. Other than that, not bad.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You were missing a few letters, but Zeckle was there so I was happy.

Posted 13 Years Ago


still sort of cutting between last chapter and this one.
same grammar stuff, spotted a few missing letters and such.
The dialogue could be better in that last paragraph, but its not completely stiff.
keep going with this, still can't wait to find out what happens next.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There were a couple of typos, but you haven't edited it yet, so I'm sure you'' catch them.

Another great chapter- nice job! c:

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like the chapter, you're effectively continuing the pace of the storyline, and keeping the reader interested.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

766 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 27, 2010
Last Updated on April 27, 2010

Two Halves


Author

aaaa
aaaa

Tracy, CA



About
aaaa more..

Writing
Sky Rails Sky Rails

A Book by aaaa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Music The Music

A Poem by A.Lee


Forest Man Forest Man

A Poem by aaaa


Shadowed Hero Shadowed Hero

A Poem by A.Lee