Two Halves: chapter 46

Two Halves: chapter 46

A Chapter by aaaa
"

Chapter 46 and stuff!

"

The ship slowly approached, the smaller air machines moving out of the way to allow our ship entry. At the edge of the open ring there were dozens of clamping stations. They approached one of the larger ones, and several clamps attached themselves to the underside of the ship. The chains slowly moved so that they were in the dragged to the center of the building. The pilot got up and signaled for them to get off. One of the shamans went back into the cabin to inform everyone else.

 

The captain leapt off the edge of the edge of the machine while the other crewmembers were lowering a staircase to facilitate the other’s departure. Nicolas couldn’t wait for it so he jumped of the side as the captain had. Jento had gone back into the cabin to martial the diplomats. In the middle of the building were hundreds of ships held in the air by chains attached in several key points, which was undoubtedly where their ship would be heading. The ships were centered around one massive chain link, which was only half completed. It was connected to another equally large chain link in the ceiling, that seemed to be embedded into the roof, and was the only thing holding the hangar up. When the link was finished the entire thing would be lowered once again in order for the city above to build downwards, keeping the hanger eternally at the tip of the structure.

 

While Nicolas was marveling at the monstrous structure the others had disembarked and were standing around. Engineer from around the hanger crowded around them, the crew formed a protective barrier separating them from the crowd.  They moved towards the giant chain link. The pilot was conversing with Jento, apparently discussing where exactly the palace was. Nicolas could pick up snippets of conversation over the crowds yell.

 

“In the base of the tower, it’s the oldest building.” replied the pilot as they made it to a metallic elevator. The grate opened up and allowed them all to pile inside, with still allowing for them to all stand around comfortably. It was probably normally used for moving aircrafts.  Many people in the crowd waved as we ascended into the ceiling. Once they were past it Nicolas’s suspicions had been confirmed. The hangar was indeed held up by a massive chain, which was in turn covered in buildings that were connected by small walkways to the first ring of building honey combed around the central chain.

 

The ones attached to the chain were obviously the oldest, their mortal crumbling and their paint faded. They rose through crude streets built on descending levels ringed around the central shaft, and every so often there was a break in the buildings through which he could see the other building rings farther out towards the edge. There were no clearly defined level, and the platforms never came at regular intervals. They just seemed to be spaced according to who ever felt like building one first. The over all effect was awe inspiring, as people walked across the streets, or climbed from one building to another on spindly rope ladders. 

 

Nicolas realized he was gapping at the marvel of a city before him. The diplomats and others seemed to be equally amazed, but were much better at hiding it, only their slightly widened eyes giving away their sense of wonderment. They seemed to be going on a central elevator that went all the way to the top, or at least as far as Nicolas could see in the thousands of feet long run to the top. On every level they past people seemed to stop to look at them, which was understandable. We were wearing the lightweight cloths of the mountain people, while the cleft above the Terrance and surrounding mountains kept this place in eternal shade. Which made the city a good degree cooler than the surrounding mountains.  So everyone was walking around in slightly heavier tunics than they were, and they were a good deal simpler than the fanciful clothing of the diplomats.

 

After a good five minutes of climbing Nicolas could finally see the roof. It was not as he inspected, instead of a jagged rock it was completely smooth and polished, except for the elaborate carvings covering the surface. They depicted a visual history of the Cloud Walkers. Starting at the edge and slowly spiraling inwards, showing the tale of the first man to have mastered the skies and conversed with the wind. Who had found Kintera on each and every breath of air. In the center of this was an enormous seven sided bronze star. From two of the points sprouted the anchor attached to the first link of the great chain. In the center of this was a small black hold, which they were slowly nearing. The most ancient of the buildings, the ones nearest to the top, were build directly into the stone, hanging from them, and suspending the buildings around them.

 

Nicolas began to wonder just how old the great city was. The Cloud Walkers had only existed in Cloud Top for the last few centuries, but these buildings were clearly older, and the chain anchor was positively ancient. They could have been sitting here in isolation slowly creating their city for long before Cloud Top uprooted itself. That meant that instead of the twin great cities that they should have included a third, but still he had no idea where they received all their goods. Maybe one of the great desert trade cities that were rumored to dot the dead lands 

 

As they rose up through the hold they came into an amphitheater. Unlike the elevator everything contained within the building was immaculate. Every surfaced gleamed with precious metals and gems. Though unlike the Bronze Citadel in Cloud Top, which had felt as if everything was laid over each other vying for visual dominance, this place flowed as if made of water. The metal molded in the most fragile and unnatural looking ways. They looked far too brittle to support human weight, yet were obviously holding themselves up.

 

Standing on the landing above the stairs was an extremely large man, he must have been seven feet tall and had extremely wide shoulders. His robes had the same flowing quality of the room, and were just as embroidered. They were made into a shape in order to depict three sets of wings that looked as if they were covering his torso. On his head was the thinnest line of gold, every so often bulging to allow a gem. On the back there were two golden wings, framing his head, and proclaiming him High Sky Lord of the Cloud Walkers, and supreme ruler of the Cloud Walker’s Terrance. His voice boomed over the entire room, reverberating off the walls making him sound all the louder.

 

“It is good to have you here one who is touched by the bronze star, of course Clan Lord Flamel, and last but not least Jento Captain of the Cloud Breakers. Welcome one and all.” He smiled broadly as our confused looks. “Do not be concerned on how I know who you are, but be assured that the next few minutes shall be a good deal easier then your previously anticipated.” He gestured for them to follow him, which they did. The floor was finely polished granite like the mural was made of. The walls and ceilings were the same, and every surface shined with dozens of tiny trapped crystals.

 

As they traversed the hallways it grew noticeably colder, and the air noticeably thicker. The rooms were clouded with pungent incense. Nicolas now realized what he had taken for cold wasn’t. Instead it was the slow draining of magical energy. What Nicolas also noticed that he hadn’t before was a strange feeling from the Sky Lord. He had given off absolutely no magic; not even the small background resonance non-magic users still produced. Instead he had been dark, cold, a complete negation of all magic around him. A well, which drew away all power around him.

 

Nicolas was glad Zeckle had not come with them. She would have not felt comfortable on in the presence of the Sky Lord. Demons, being composed completely of magic, wouldn’t be able to exist in an environment like this. Nicolas was starting to doubt he could as well. He was growing tired, and felt the magic slowly drain out of him. The diplomats were showing signs of sluggishness as well.

 

They finally made it to a room, this one actually foggy with the incense fumes. Nicolas breathed in deeply despite himself, and realized the fumes contained small amounts of ambient magic. He took several deep breaths gratefully of the fully incense clogged environment.  The other diplomats seemed to be recovering as well now that they were in the room. The only one who was not affected was Bestalel, who still walked with an inner strength that Nicolas could not comprehend.

 

Nicolas starred through the smoke to see a low table surrounded by cushions; at one end of this the Sky Lord already sat. They took their places around the table, gratefully seeing that the incense burners were placed so they each had one on front of them. Inside was a purple charcoal like substance that crumbled into embers as Nicolas watched. 

 

“I am very sorry for the magic null. It is part of my bloodline. All males in the family are born like this, and it can take some getting used to. So I placed out this,” He indicated the burners. “For you all so you aren’t affected too greatly, but this is not the reason you are here. You are here for something far greater. We are gathered here to fulfill the prophesy, and finally extinguish the fires that were started during the Blaze War, and finally put and end to Salex.” Nicolas simply gapped at him, how could he know why they were here? No one spoke in response, the diplomats seemingly at a loss now their job had been accomplished without them needing to do any work. Nicolas saw a flicker in the corner of his eye; he turned to see the liquid copper slowly creeping up Bestalel’s face once more.

 

“Thank you, Venlock. I trust the message was receive by one of your Listeners.”

 

“Oh course, and not a moment too soon. Only two months to mobilize the troops. I know we have been working towards this goal for thirty-two years, but giving us a dead line like that is just insane. I have no idea how you got the Cloudans to agree to it.” The diplomats had taken upon looks of various distaste of the Sky Lord using this derogatory term to describe them. Nicolas was merely confused.

 

“Wait. I don’t understand, what do you mean thirty years? We didn’t even know we were going to do this until a few months ago.” The Sky Lord merely gave a chuckle before answering.

 

“You may have only known for thirty years, but we knew ever since the Blaze War began. It seems our friend here hasn’t been telling you something. All those years ago, when I was just a lad the divine suddenly possessed our head Listener. He came before my father the former Sky Lord and told him of the great was that would envelope both worlds, and bring them to the brink of destruction. He told us that despite our obligation to Cloud Top we must not help. The enemy was too strong, and we had no chance of winning, even with our combined power. He told us to leave our brothers, and withdraw back to here. The think he imposed upon us the most was this one message. We needed to strengthen ourselves and turn us from peace to war. We have been doing that for the last thirty two years.” The Sky Lord finished and smirked at the expressions of dawning comprehension on the faces of the diplomats.

 

Jento wiped his face, nearly overcome with emotion. This one simply speech had probably lifted off of him a burden that has plagued him most of his soldiering life. He was the one who was supposed to liaison with the Cloud Walkers, and his order had failed in their task. No matter what he would do to make his squad better there was still the glaring failure. That was probably why everyone worked so hard, and why they were so powerful. They had lost their purpose when Cloud Walkers had left, but now he had not only regained that purpose, but he now knew that none of it was his fault.

 

“Well, now that I’ve gotten that out of the way. May we discuss specifics?”



© 2010 aaaa


Author's Note

aaaa
Well, with this we have arrived at the final battle.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Epic, I was sitting at the edge of my chair, I actually fell out of it. Awsome write, I absolutly love the last line.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Another good chapter. Keep them coming. i like the consistency of this write overall. the characters are easy to understand at this point but not overtly predictable.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting chapter... It has capture my attention and has me on the edge of my seat:)

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

674 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 31, 2010
Last Updated on August 31, 2010

Two Halves


Author

aaaa
aaaa

Tracy, CA



About
aaaa more..

Writing
Sky Rails Sky Rails

A Book by aaaa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Clot Logs Part 1 Clot Logs Part 1

A Chapter by aaaa