The Dark Child

The Dark Child

A Story by Zarok
"

A work in progress. Needs a lot of work.

"

Sunlight shines through my window. I turn over to avoid the glare. F**k, I hate mornings.
 I can hear the old man yelling in the next room. F**k I wish he’d just drop dead. The noise vibrates through my wall. I pull my pillow over my head. I can’t ever get any f*****g sleep.
I lift my head from my pillow looking over to the clock. 
 10:30, f**k I’m exhausted.
My head feels heavy. I have f*****g migraine and I can’t even get some peace and quiet.
 I slowly lift myself up.  
F**k I need caffeine.
I stumble out of my bedroom. Stumbling down the hall and into the kitchen. Standing their all perky is my sister. F**k, I hate mornings.
 “You look like hell.”
Nice too see you too.
 “Thanks”
F**k, what did I do last night.
 She grabs a cup from the table and is holding it out to me.
“Coffee?”
“Sure, why not.”
“Rough night?”
“I guess.”
I look on to the next room to see our father slouched in front of the TV with a beer in his hand.
“His team losing again?”
“Nah, they other team got a goal.”
He woke me up because of that. F**k I need to move out.
“Shouldn’t you be at school?”
“Shouldn’t you be sober?”
I have f*****g hangover. She looks at me with a stupid grin.
“Oh come on I was kidding. I got the day off.”
Great, just what I need an extra dose of f*****g sunshine to my morning. No use staying round here anyway.

“You headed off already.”
I nod slightly. The front doors falling apart. F*****g dad let’s this place fall apart.
 Jack’s garage is only a block down from my place. I’m used to walking down there every day and hanging out with the guys. Jack smiles as he sees me walking up to his old garage. Finally somewhere I’m actually wanted.


 “Hey there.”
It’s good to feel welcomed.
 “Hey to you too.”


I’ve known Jack for a long time. I met him at my first concert it was only later we found out that we lived close by. Since then we had been practically inseparable. Jack is the best guitarist I know. He can play any song he hears. Doesn’t know s**t about music notes but he’s great at what he does. I’ve been told I have good singing voice. I can sing in a normal soft voice or even do the deep growls of heavy metal, which was perfect for us. We found David and Alex while looking for new band members. David learned most of his skills from his father who had his own band back in the day. Alex is our drummer he goes a little crazy sometimes with his drum set but he always builds up a perfect rhythm for our songs.
It looks most of the gears are set up. I wonder where David and Alex are.
 “You guys set everything up yet.”
 “Almost Alex is just tuning his new guitar.”
David and Alex come in.
 “Hey guys.”
 “Hi Jess. Get much sleep?”  Alex asks.
 “Nah not really.”
The guys take their positions. I grab the microphone.


My songs are personal to me and to all of us. Each of us has put in work writing them. I think in part they tell who we are. They’re not always happy, by neither is life. Later tonight we have all crowd to watch us play. I can hardly believe we’ve gained so much local popularity. Soon we’ll be out of this hell hole that’ll show that old man.

 

The guys play their instruments in a perfect rhythm. The beat feels my soul and I let my voice carry along with the tune. Going between a soft harmonious voice to deep metal vocals throughout the song.

A sudden thud vibrates throughout the room followed by another. The beat builds until it forms a rhythm. I scream out to them the eyes that are watching me. I lift the microphone and loose myself in the music. I let out an echoing cry that fills the room hands reach out to me. I enthral them with my deep echoing voice. They look to me as if I were their god. Worshipped and praised as divine.
Some are silent their voices unheard watching on as I scream out to them. Some bang their heads to every beat. Standing in the crowd all their eyes on me. There are more of them tonight than before. I think they are starting to notice us, it had taken time and practice.
I remember the first time. I was so nervous I could barely get the words out. My voice was almost quiet. But I pulled through. I proved to myself that I could do this. Thought I’d never have lasted this long but here I am standing above a crowd their eyes always on me. All that time trying to remember every word of my own songs. It wasn’t easy, hell I wrote and it took me time to memorise it all.
As I scream out the last lyrics, and then the last screech of the guitar, the last beat of the drum, all comes to a halt. Then a moment silence, before the roar of the crowd.
They f*****g love us.
I had dreamt of this moment since I was little. All I wanted was to be in my own band. F**k that pissed the old man off. Couldn’t take that I wasn’t normal like my sibling.
I hate family.
But I live for this. Here I feel wanted, like my life means something, like I’m just not piece of trash to be chucked away. I belong here. These are my people they understand me, they accept me. Hell, they even worship me.
I put down the microphone and head off stage. The crowd’s eyes still on me. I never knew anything like this before. I always worry so much about it every time. I get too nervous really need to find a better way to stay calm.
I’d stay longer but I need sleep seriously have had too many nights of being up and then being woken f*****g early.

I really shouldn’t drink while I’m doing this s**t but I get too nervous. I hate it. Always worrying I’m going to screw up. Which oddly enough usually just causes me to f**k up.

“You headed home,” Jack asks.

Jack’s been playing the guitar since well as long I’ve known him. He doesn’t know s**t about notes but if he hears a song he’ll instantly know how to play it. If you can think of a sound he can play it. He’s kind of special that way. It was his idea to start this band he got us all together.

“Yeah figure I better be getting back.”
“Are you sure I can’t give you ride?”
He always asks but well…
“Nah I could use the exercise.”

My throat hurts I should’ve drank more water. Ah well.
Number 1 rule of metal always have plenty of fluids. Anyone who has ever sung a metal song knows this. It’s impossible to perform otherwise.
Number 2 rule of metal always keep it brutal, or is it the other way around I can never remember.
I say my goodbyes and head for the exit. Guess the others are going to stay round f**k this makes me feel old. I can’t stay up like I use to. I’m not that old really barely even into my adult years but I feel worn out. Maybe I just need a bit of time to relax I’ll probably be feeling better after a good night’s sleep.

The moon hangs high above in a sky filled with stars glistening like diamonds. It’s quiet, that’s what I love about the night. Sure I love the beats of the club great music and all. But sometimes I just need silence. The night is calming and peaceful. I enjoy being alone no one to bother me. But damn it’s cold this weather really gets to me. I love how dark it gets in winter but I can’t stand the f*****g cold. Everything here seems dead and I like it that way. Sometimes I imagine what it would be like to be the only person left on this world. No one to bother me, no one to tell me I’m worthless, no one to treat me like garbage. Yeah, just me I think I could get use to that. Maybe it would get lonely, but I think I’m used to being by myself.

But then I would miss my friends. And maybe my sister too, even if she is a pain in the arse.

S**t some guy just bumped into me. He was wearing an old dusty coat. Looks like he got his clothes from a previous centaury.
I feel uneasy. Is he following me?
I keep seeing him on every corner. Besides him this whole block seems completely empty. Damn it must be late.
I didn’t even see him coming. Then like magic he’s right there. But I’m sure I only just past him earlier. He looks familiar somehow. He doesn’t look old, though from the look on his face I would’ve thought he’d seen quite a few lifetimes of s**t.
There he is again he’s staring at me. Ok calm down just ignore him. I walk past pretending I don’t see him. His gaze firmly upon me.
F**k what the hell does this guy want?
You’d think he’d have something better to do. I wonder if he was at the gig. Maybe he wants to talk or something. I don’t know probably better not to ask.
Ok stay calm. Just remember you can kick his arse if he tries anything. And when I get home I guess well on second thoughts what will it matter not like any at home cares enough to help.

Did someone just touch my neck? No there’s no one behind me.  I feel too s****y right now to deal with this.
No wait he’s behind me I can’t move his got hold of me. His teeth are tearing into my f*****g neck
He’s biting my neck, I feel numb I can’t f*****g move.
He lays me down on the concrete. I feel weak. He cuts across his wrist with his fingernails letting the blood flow freely. It slowly drips down between my lips. I can taste it. It’s sweet, delicious, like nothing I’ve ever had before. I can feel it inside me. My body feels strange. My insides feel like they’re being stretched. The pain spreads throughout my body. I’m coughing and choking. And now everything is fading I feel numb too weak to fight it anymore.

My eyes flicker open. Am I dead? No I don’t think so. I feel strange. my ears are burning. My head is pounding. What’s happening to me? I’m in a fancy looking bedroom. Where the f**k am I?

This bed feels a little too cozy. Red satin sheets. Who the hell is this guy?
There’s no window in this room. Has he got me trapped in here?
Okay calm down.
I touch my neck. There’s nothing not even a scratch. But he bit me I’m sure of it.
And he made me drink his blood, f**k what was wrong with that guy?
I just need to stand. I put one foot on the ground, now the other…f**k I fell over.
S**t, this a bad time to be kidnapped by some arsehole. But then there really isn’t ever a good time either.
Why is everything so loud here? I can here cars outside and I can hear the wind. There’s a noise beating. Almost like a drum in a perfect rhythm. It sounds like a heart.
Am I going crazy?
I just have to make it to the door. I stumble across the floor. My head is spinning. I feel like the world around me has come alive. Old portraits are spread across the walls. Statues that look almost life like. Where did he get all this junk?
I made it to the door. It’s not locked, good.

This house is big. I mean really big. I just passed a library. So I’ve been kidnapped by some rich guy. Maybe he’s looking for a kid. Why doesn’t he just adopt a kid from Africa? I hears it’s all the rage with celebrities.
Even this carpet feels soft. S**t I just realised I’m not wearing my boots. Where are they?
Screw it I just want to get the f**k out of here.
The front door is unlocked.
Why are there no windows in this house?
I open the door and above me I see the night sky. Did I sleep through an entire day?
There’s a sweet smell in the air. And that sound. I can hear it more. I feel compelled to follow it. I feel hungry. I can’t even remember when I last ate anything. F**k I don’t even know how long I’ve been out. It feels like I haven’t eaten in weeks.
There’s a man just standing there. Looks like the kind of person you’d expect to see working in some big office. This whole area looks fancy. Bet it’d cost quite a bit to live here. At least my kidnapper had the decency to take me somewhere nice.
But damn the guy smells good. Is it him I can hear the beat of his heart I’m sure of it now it’s his heart. And his veins I can see them as clear as day. I feel drawn to it. His heartbeat is like music.
I’m walking closer he’s not even looking at me. But without even thinking like it was instinct I bite him digging my teeth into his neck. And that blood it taste so good. His heartbeat slows. I can’t stop I need more I feel it flowing through me. I hear the sudden pattern of his heart. But how can I hear his heartbeat?
Raindrops fall from the sky, washing away my sins for tonight.
I’ve never felt so alive. The blood taste better than anything I had ever eaten. It’s a pleasure beyond anything I’ve known before. I feel it flowing through me.
Then it stops the sweet drum of his heartbeat is no more.
I let go of him. A sudden thud as he hits the ground.
This feels incredible I feel like a whole new me. I let out a deep growl like an animal.
What the hell is happening to me? Did I just kill someone? I didn’t mean to. I was hungry but it felt so right tearing into neck. I better head back to the house. Good thing I didn’t get far. I feel strange like I feel everything more yet I don’t feel the cold? And why could hear his heartbeat but not my own? None of this makes any sense.

The house is still empty. The library filled with books that look really old. This home looks rather clean though it feels old not just old but ancient as if perhaps it had always existed. I feel at home here. It’s strange but it feels like I know this place. Like I’ve been here before. No like I’ve always been here never left as if this had always been my home. Strange that I would feel so comfortable here of all places. Yet I could swear I remember being here. But no I’ve never been anywhere this nice.

It seems kind of obvious what’s happened. It sounds crazy sure but how else do you explain it. The whole blood drinking no windows avoiding daylight it seems. I always thought vampires were myth, pretty much everyone does. I don’t feel like myself I feel better than I ever did in my days of living. Am I even me anymore?
 I don’t feel like I truly regretted killing him. All I could think about was the taste of his blood. It felt like nothing I’d ever known in life.
I’m like a new person reborn into a life I don’t understand. I wish I could’ve had this explained to me where the hell is he? He turns me and then expects me to figure this all out for myself?  I need find him even the memory of him. I feel close to him attached. I need to find him but how?
Maybe I should just check in with my friends maybe they can help I can do this myself but they might be worried if I don’t show. S**t I was supposed to see them today.
I forgot all about band practice. I don’t even have a phone on me. And this house well it’s lacking phones from what I can tell. Very old fashion much likes it’s owner. I guess he probably is from a different centaury. If I can figure out where I am maybe I can still make it.
Heading outside I embrace the nights touch. The nights always been special to me but not like this. I truly am a child of the night now. Looks like modern day vampire stories got something right. But I know so little about my current state. I’m guessing sunlights a big yes. But what about stakes and the religious s**t like crosses and holy water? Am I going to have to avoid churches like the plague?

On second thoughts I always did anyway.

This city died long before I did. The s**t rolls downhill and I had been living at the bottom for too long. But now I’m f*****g dead yeah you know it doesn’t matter. Not really I feel fine I guess. But where the f**k am I?
I’m out of the rich snob land I know cause the houses around here have all gone to hell I think I’m close maybe f**k I don’t know my way. But wait there is a familiar scent in the air no not familiar not like this it’s scent is stronger than ever before but I know it a smell I never payed much attention to but now it feels so real even from here  I think I can follow it to it’s source. I smell there blood how do I know the scent of my friends blood?
I’m nearly there. They’re probably worried like f**k I have good reason for being this late though who would believe me bitten by a bloodsucking vampire yeah that’s a likely story might as well say I was abducted by aliens.
Death isn’t like life. No this isn’t life, neither is it death.  But then what should I call it? Unlife, unliving, no I think the proper term would be undeath.
A man stands in front of me. I hear no beating of his heart. Something about him seems calming and I feel like I know him from somewhere. Everything about him seems familiar.
"You should not go there.”
“What?”
“Your former life you cannot go back.”
“Why the f**k not?”
“It’s too dangerous. Mortals cannot know of us we must keep our secrets.”
F**k, what is this guy the vampire welcoming committee?
“Move the f**k out of my way now.”
“I will not stop you but beware the consequences fledgling. For what you are about to do the consequences of your actions will pay heavily. Not tonight but soon you will see that I was right and then you will wish you had listened to my words.”
“F**k off I don’t know who the f**k you think you are but I’m sick of arseholes telling me how to live.”
Oh wait is that right live?
He disappears he moves fast faster than any human f**k I’ve only just been turned and already I’ve got the undead breathing down my neck or not so much breathing but can’t I get a moment’s peace everyone’s got to have their f*****g say on what I do with my unlife.
It’s quiet now that I’m alone. The cold night air does not bother me I’m already cold as a corpse as it is.
The door opens and are overwhelmed by the scents I had followed this far but some more than other in particular I smell blood. This feeling is overwhelming.
“Hey you’re here, five more minutes and we were going to send out a search party”
Oh this smell it’s so f*****g incredible I need blood.
“Are you okay?”
Ok control yourself.
“Yeah I’m fine.”
“Ok well when you’re ready we can get started.”
Should I tell them?
“Are you sure you’re alright?”
No not yet.
“I’m fine really.”
Jack strums his guitar and a blast of beats fills the air I let out a growl like none I had ever down before my voice was stronger like the shriek of the damned.
There was power in my voice is not natural. They’re all staring at me. I need a way out. They’re not speaking f**k I’ve got to get out of here.
I run out leaving behind my friends. That strange guy was right I can’t go back to what I had before I just wish this wasn’t so f*****g hard. I need some answers.
The air is cold nothing like before. A chill that seems cold even to a corpse. A feeling of dread and despair. What’s happening?

“Something Old has awakened fledgling, even you feel it,” a voice whispers from the shadows.
“What do you want?”
“You have been brought into a new life unaware of the rules and what is at stake”
“Do you ever make any sense?”

What he disappeared he’s gone. He was standing right here but now he’s gone. Why do all these f*****g vampires have to be so goddamn cryptic? Can’t I get a f*****g straight answer for once?
But I still feel it like a sickness in the air like the stench of death. He said something old could it be a vampire. I don’t even know what the hell’s going on.  But I have a feeling something bad is happening and I’m at it’s centre.
I kneel down and scream out a shriek louder than anything I had before my lungs though they no longer breath the air sound out deeper than before.
That noise I’ve heard it before the sudden thud oh yes the heart. I smell blood I need blood I’m so f*****g hungry.
I turn to see a young man staring at me shocked he wants to run but he can’t move I move towards him at a speed I never knew I was capable of his veins are so beautiful I want to tear them out and suck his arteries dry.
I’m tearing into his neck my fangs sink deep and blood pours down my throat I can feel it flowing through me his life revitalising me. Oh this feeling it’s so overwhelming. Oh that’s so good I feel better now.
But now he’s dead. Pale eyes staring at me dead on as if to say Murderer. I can’t take this anymore this f*****g hunger is too much I feel it always if I don’t feed it takes over and I become this f*****g monster. Those eyes blaming me for my sins damning me. The damned yes I understand now why us vampires are called so.
“You look like s**t.”
A pale man stands before me.
“Come with me.”
Doesn’t seem to matter what I do at this point I’m following him but where is he going? His heart doesn’t beat. Maybe I’ll finally get some answers. I’m sick of these games tired of these riddles. I need a straight answer from someone anyone will do as long as they’re not talking s**t.
“What you pulled back there is dangerous for all of us.”
“I was f*****g hungry.”
“You let the beast take over and feed in public what if the living had seen you what then?”
“I could’ve handled it.”
“Handled it ha you can’t handle anything not this life look at you you’re not ready for this and where is your sire?”
“I don’t know.”
“Left you ha I should’ve none just another fledgling abandoned by your sire.”

He smirks he seems almost satisfied at hearing me say that proud of it in fact.
“What’s your f*****g point?”
“My point fledgling is that you need someone to teach you our ways.”
“And I suppose that would be you?
“Unfortunately it seems I have little choice it’s either that or put you down.”
“F*****g try it arsehole.”
“Rude and impatient these traits will get you killed fledgling luckily I am more forgiving than most of our kind so I will let that go but make that mistake again and I will tear your pretty little face off.”
His eyes almost appear to be staring right through me. There is something off about him other than being dead. I’ve got this chilling feeling that makes me sick. But I don’t really have many other options I need answers.
“Come with me young one.”
“Where are we going?”
“To meet the others.”
“You mean vampires right?”
“Yes fledgling I did mean our kind.”
We’re going through an alleyway there’s a door on side of a building with a strange symbol above it. It looks strangely familiar but I can’t quite place it.
“Come young one in here.”
It’s dark in here but it seems vampirism has allowed me to see quite clearly in the dark. I smell the undead below he was right there are others many more. But something seems off about all of them. In fact now to come to think of it the scent of their blood smells almost exactly like his
The dark hall he’s leading me down is filled with cobwebs. There are spider webs along the stone walls.
Ahead there is a chamber. S**t there’s a lot of them there eyes all on me like they’ve been expected me. Something is defiantly off about this. There’s no way this arsehole found me by chance. In fact I never asked him about that.
“How did you find me?”
“Whatever do you mean?”
“You know exactly what I mean where you looking for me?”
“Why would I bother looking for some fledgling b***h?”
“Stop with the f*****g games I know something is off all of these vampires they seem to be waiting for us and they smell like you what the f***s going on?”
“These are my childe”
That’s a lot of f*****g children.
“And they knew you’d bring me here right.”
“How very perceptive of you fledgling.”
“Who the f**k are you and why did you bring me here?”
“We share the same sire you know.”
“You know him.”
“Yes unlike you I was not abandoned by him he taught me all that I know and yet who does he leave his home his wealth his artefacts to some fledgling b***h that’s who.”
“What the f***s your problem.”
“I do not repeat myself I have made my intentions quite clear.”
“So what happens now?”
“Now I kill you and when your sire wakes he will see that I am far more worthy.”
What’s that f*****g song oh wait that’s my mobile?
 “Hold that thought Hello.”
 “Are you ok? What happened back there?”
It’s Jack.
 “Umm well it’s hard to explain but I can’t really talk about right now.”
Jeez these guys look pissed.
 “Umm can I get back to you?”
 “Alright but you should come by later.”
 “Uh will do I’ll talk soon.”
He looks really pissed.
 “Just kill this b***h already” He growls.
 “What was that?” Jack asks.
 “Ah nothing I gotta.go.”
 “Are you sure everything’s alright.”
 “Uh yeah talk to you later.”

Ok now how am I going to get out of this situation. It’s not my fault my sire chose me over this arsehole, but then I can kind of see why he didn’t get picked. This guy really needs to f*****g calm down.
 They’re all coming towards me but their master’s moved behind them. That f*****g coward can’t even face me himself has to have his little kiddies do all the work. 
I refuse to let this arsehole kill me I can be stronger than that I am I know I am There’s a lot of them but I feel strong I know I can do this can’t I?
 Ah s**t even dead all s**t rolls down my way.
Okay calm down there close to me and it looks like they’re ready to attack I’ve just keep calm.

Instinct. Maybe that’s what I’m driven by now, every reaction doesn’t seem like my own but some inner instinct driving me forward and I don’t know why. Even now as these vamps race towards me I feel myself reacting. I move fast and dodge their strikes almost touching me, but I am faster than them. My nails cut across a childe’s throat moving at a speed I never thought possible.
They’re like savages. They’re tough, but sloppy. I don’t know why but I seem to be faster than them and stronger. Perhaps the vampire blood is weaker further down the line. I dodge as the attempt to strike me moving around them almost gracefully as if it were a dance. I weave past their rows and slash them with my sharpened nails. Unnaturally sharp. Must be another vampiric quality.
“Enough” he screams.
He looks really pissed. His childer back off. He moves towards me faster than any of his childer. Ok, I just have to concentrate just react to his strikes.
 No wait he’s too fast. He moves like a blur, I can barely see him.
 Then there’s pain. I feel numb. I can’t move what’s wrong with me?
F**k there’s a f*****g blade in my chest. I can’t move. It’s in my heart. He’s standing over me. If I could only move.
I’m going to wipe that f*****g smirk off his face.
“You’re stronger than I expected much too strong for my childer. But you are no match for me. I am far older and more powerful than you, fledgling. Don’t worry you’re not dead yet. But when the sun rises you will not be able to avoid it’s touch.”
I’m so going to kill this arsehole.
He’s leaving but what now? I hear a sudden click and the roof above me opens up. I can see the night sky, it looks beautiful.
F**k, I can’t move, I can’t do anything. If only I could somehow move. I’m struggling but my body doesn’t budge at all. Now I really do feel like a corpse I’m dead and now all I can do is wait here for my final death.
The night is still and peaceful. It is empty cold and silent. Even in my last moments I am alone. I wish I could hear something, a voice, something familiar, someone close to me. I wish I didn’t have to leave my sister with that b*****d. I wish I could say goodbye. But more than anything else, I wish I didn’t have this f*****g blade sticking into my heart. The sun will rise soon. It’s call is echoing to me, it’s damning me. It’s like the cold chill of deaths fingers running down my spine.

 

I hear a voice a whisper floating through the night air it feels soft and warm. I know this voice it’s familiar somehow.
“So childe, have you learned anything?”
It’s that vamp guy, who was telling me what to do earlier. Is he stalking me? When I said I wanted to hear a voice I didn’t mean this arsehole. Death may be preferable to listening to his ranting again. But then there’s the old saying: be careful what you wish for.
He leans down beside me. “Choose your friends carefully. Trust should be earned, not given freely.”
Finally he makes sense. But I never really trusted that arsehole, I just wanted some answers. Ok, so it was a stupid mistake but what the hell else was I suppose to do?
“You want answers and in time they shall be yours. Your sire left you to this world to learn of it by yourself but there are things you must know if you are to survive in this life.” 
What the f**k is he talking about? What’s with always being so f*****g cryptic? So you’ve been around since the vampiric stone ages, so you have to be all dark and mysterious. He pulls the blade from my chest. I feel relieved; I thought I was going to die. But this guy actually saved me. For an old guy I guess he isn’t so bad after all.
“Thanks” He stands up straight, looking down at me.
“Perhaps I should show you what this new life entails. Then we shall see if you still wish to thank me.”
He’s leaving now. “Follow me, young one.”
Alright well now we’re getting somewhere. Where I have no f*****g clue but it’s better than my previous situation. I wonder how old this guy he is I mean he looks no older than 30 maybe but without the whole being dead and all, for all I know Fred Flintstone could’ve been his brother.
“So where we headed?”
“Someplace safe.”
“Wait hold on a second. The last time I followed one of you guys I almost got killed uh I mean killed again cause the first time wasn’t really all that nice. I really would prefer not to die a second time as I hear it’s a little more permanent.”
“I understand your reluctance but I assure you I mean you know harm.”
“That’s what the last guy said and look how that ended up.”
“As you wish then you will learn nothing tonight and be as empty as you were before.” He’s walking away. S**t I guess I’ve got no choice.
“Hey, hold up I didn’t mean it like that I’ll go with you but if this is another trap I’m going to break your jaw off clear.”
“Very. So are you coming?”
“Yeah, yeah I’m coming.”
So it seems I’ve dodged my second death for now at least. He tried to show me the sunrise, when I catch that arsehole I’ll be sure to return the favour.
“So what should I call you?”
“My name is Adelmar.”
“Ah, ok how about I just call you Bob?”
He doesn’t look too amused.  “Umm I guess not.”
This area looks familiar. S**t I’m back in rich snob town.
“Where are we going?”
“I think you know, young one.”
“Uh, yeah but why.”
“Because it is your sire’s home and you will be safe there.”
“So when do I get those answers?”
“In time, for now we must rest.”
I only have so much patience.
“How about instead you answer my f*****g questions now.”
“The sun will be rising soon, now is not the time for a chat.”
D****t he’s right but he better tell me something I don’t already know soon.
“Fine but when that sun goes down I want answers.”
“And you shall have them.”
The house calls back to me. It seems like it was meant to be. I feel drawn to my sire’s home as I feel drawn to him. Only I don’t know where he is or why he left me here. Maybe this old guy can help. I hope so I feel lost and alone here. I just wish I knew why.
Inside the house I feel at home. I think I remember some sort of party here, one that ended in blood. A woman in a red dress she’s smiling and laughing no she’s screaming oh f**k her throat. The man in brown blood dripping from his lips most of the guest are dead except a few. Those still alive are drinking blood. Are these vampires? They must be.
Adelmar’s staring at me. What the hell just happened?
“Those were Blood memories, young one.”
“Blood memories what the hell is that?”
“In your case it was a memory passed down from sire to childe. Whatever it was you saw was something from your sire’s past.”
“But how? What the hell is this?”
“There are many things in this life that will take some getting used to. You will understand in time.”
“I don’t want to f*****g understand I just want this out of my head.”
“That can never be. You and I are what we are. There is no changing that. Now we must rest. You have much to learn.”
“Sure whatever.”
I don’t feel much like sleep. What if I have dreams like this. But I guess I should, f**k this will take some getting used to, maybe a few centuries or more.
I lie down on the silk sheets and find that sleep comes easy for the dead. Dreams come easy, but so do the nightmares. When you have centuries of s**t to deal with is one thing, but my head is full of memories that aren’t even mine
.  I see blood dripping from a cold dead wrist, my teeth, no wait, they are his teeth. Blood dripping from his chin, a woman lay on the grass. Her cold dead eyes no longer filled with light or hope, nothing but darkness.
And then there’s a soft voice. Another woman young beautiful. Yet this one does not seem to be harmed. This seems like a peaceful memory one that I feel close to. I feel peaceful in this. But then this memory fades and a darker vision takes it’s place.
I see broken bodies, a beating heart torn from a chest. He sinks his fangs into it, the blood flows down his throat. He savours the flavour.
 On top of broken lifeless bodies, torn limbs stretched over a field. He looks over the chaos with delight. Then there lay one man near death. He tears the eyes from their sockets glaring down at this broken man. Basking in this man’s fear, he feels powerful. Driven by blood lust he tears his fangs into this mans neck almost tearing it right out. The man screams out in agony as he is savagely torn apart.

I can feel the rage, the desire for blood. I feel like I am him. Like it was me tearing people apart. I don’t like this, I want to wake up but I can’t. I feel trapped in these nightmares, like I can’t escape.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Finally I awake from the nightmares. I feel like screaming, but am unable to. Never again do I want to experience that. It was like a dark hole in my soul penetrating deep inside me filled with a torment centuries old, nightmares of dark atrocities committed over centuries.
 This house almost seems to be screaming out, it voice pounding in my head. This home has seen many dark deeds, of that I am certain.
 “You are awake, good.” Adelmar Says whilst standing over me. I had been so distracted by those nightmares that I had not even noticed him there. I don’t think I can ever forgot something that horrific.
“So, how about my questions then?” I say to Adelmar as I try to collect myself.
“Very well young one, ask and I shall do my best to answer.”
Good, I was growing sick of these f*****g games. Some straight answers would be nice, instead of all these f*****g riddles. I stand and I’m looking deep into his pale blue eyes. They look familiar, as if I know him, or perhaps my sire knows him.
“Well for starters where the f**k is my sire?”
“That I do not know.”
Well a lot of f*****g help he is then.
“He vanished, none of us can tell you where I suspect he has kept this well hidden for a reason. But more than likely he is sleeping.”
“Wait, so my sire left me to take a nap?”
“Indeed, a very long nap. Vampires as old as us sleep ages away.”
“Well that’s f*****g great. So which century should I expect him back by, or perhaps I should just tear him out of his f*****g coffin.”
“You will not find him, he does not want to be found.”
“We’ll see.”
“You leave now, and your questions may never be answered.”
“And what do I gain from staying here?”
”You are young, I can teach you what it is to be one of us. Show you our ways, our strengths our weaknesses, and all that you will need to survive in this new existence.”
 
Well, I guess could use the help. But can I trust him. I sense that I should. I think my sire did. But what of my sire, I still need to find him.

I need to find him. Until then, I am lost. He made me what I am, and I was left with so much unanswered. This old guy may know a lot. But there are questions only my sire can answer.
“Alright, where do we start?”
“At the basics of course. First I think I should tell of potential dangers. First the most obvious, sunlight will kill you, it burns through our flesh. Next, piercing the heart as if you have already seen will not kill you.  It will however cause paralysis. Religious icons such as holy water and crosses have no effect on us.”
Seems straight forward enough.
“So how can we be killed, other than sunlight?”
“Well I often find severing the head from it’s body usually does the trick. Killing one of us is not easily accomplished, it often takes a quite serious wound to do so.”
As soon as I catch that arsehole, I’ll make sure to tear his head off, along with all his f*****g children.
“Right, I’ll remember that.”
“Good. Now have you learnt of your Dark gifts?”
Ok more riddles, that’s f*****g great. “What do you mean?”
”Well for each of us the vampirism grants us Dark Gifts. These abilities are different for each of us; over time we gain new abilities. But for each of us, it is different.”
“So what tricks do you know?”
“If you survive long enough, perhaps you shall see for yourself.”
What does he mean if I survive long enough, I’m not planning on dying again anytime soon. I mean sure I came close to my second death, but when I find him I won’t fall for his tricks a second time.
“So what about being turned, how does that work?”
“If a mortal drinks the blood of our kind when near death they will become one of us. However if they are not close to death, the blood will grant them some vampire power. However the effects of this are only temporary.”
“Right, vampire temp work, got it.”
“Also as you already have experienced, if we become hungry we often lose control of ourselves, a sort of rage takes over, we become like a wild animal. So you must remember to feed often. Don’t let the hunger take over.”


“Right, I’ll make sure I visit the local blood bank then.”
“Vampire society exists from behind the scenes. We control governments and corporations, and mortals do not know of our existence. It is how we keep our kind safe. Do not feed in front of mortals, unless you plan to kill them, and never tell them our secrets. You cannot go back to your mortal life, as mortals must never know you exist, and amongst them you risk exposing your secret, and in doing so you endanger all our kind.”
“Yeah, yeah I get it you’re the big bad bloodsuckers hiding in the shadows, like the bogeyman.”
“Perhaps in time you will learn why it is so important that we remain hidden.”
“Doubtful, unless I all of a sudden become a coward.”
“Then you have learnt nothing.”
I’m getting sick of this guy, f**k this I don’t need his help.
“Was I suppose to? Oh that’s right you think you’re some sort of teacher going to give me the vampire rulebook, well I think I’ll pass on the lectures.”
“Fine, but remember you walk a dangerous path young one, and it will not end well.”
He disappears seemingly into air, it’s almost as if he had never been there.
Finally I’ve got that old guy out of my hair. I actually got some answers out of him, so I guess that’s something. I got enough lectures when I was alive, but I didn’t waste my time listening to then, and I sure as hell aren’t going to now that I’m dead.
 I do not know where to find others like myself. For all his answers he never told me that. Maybe he didn’t want me to. But why? Was it his way of controlling me, or protecting me?
 I walk through my sire’s home. This home is old, yet it looks quite new. The paint on the walls is almost fresh. A chandelier dangles from the ceiling. Paintings on the walls, the artwork that may have very well been centuries old.
Rain spatters against the windows, the sound of distant thunder. I open the front door and step out into yet another storm.
 I smell blood. It has occurred to me that I have not yet had any breakfast. And that old guy was right; I can’t let myself go hungry. The smell is so sweet, the smell of warm blood.
 A man hurries through the rain trying to avoid the storm. I can barely control myself; this feeling is like nothing else. I leap on to him sinking my fangs into his neck. The blood rushing down my throat. It’s like no pleasure I have ever experienced, nothing any human could ever understand. The blood flowing through my body, there is nothing like it. His heart slows, and then comes to a stop. I have killed him, yet this feels so natural to me. I wipe the blood from lips. I have much to do before the dawn.
 
As a vampire I have noticed my senses are sharper. I can hear people talking from quite a distance. The people in their homes chatting about their jobs and family. I can smell the scent of their blood. I could see not only more clearly, but I can now see in the dark.
 As I observe the life that settled into these homes, I have become aware of how mundane their lives seem. Here I am an undead predator amongst mortals, and around me were humans in their homes, becoming part of the everyday recycling of human life. Working jobs that most of them seemed to hate. I wonder why my sire chose to live here, of all places. Maybe he likes all this fancy s**t. Though I must admit his collection of art was quite good. But why would he want to be surrounded by the rich and snobby. Although they do taste quite good.
 Here amongst the death of society. Those who live only to serve the every growing wheel that is the system that controls society.
Part of me dreads being here. I know I don’t belong. Yet there is an attachment I feel to it, a memory from long ago.
 But now I need to be somewhere familiar to myself. Not to be acting on the feelings and memories of my sire. I need to know that I am still me.
 I will find my way back home, my real home. It was never much of a home to me. But I know it’s real to me, a piece of my former life. I am not about to let go of the life that was stolen from me. I refuse to be dead to this world.

My old home is silent, with the exception of television. It’s was always a run down, rat infested s**t hole. But it was all I had known for so long. Though I dread returning here, too many bad memories. But there is one piece of my past here, that I wish to hold on to.
 The wooden door’s lock broke a long time ago. But then we never did have anything of value, so it never seemed to matter. All the s**t that old man put me through, when I think about it I feel like snapping his f*****g neck.
 I see the old man is asleep in front of the television again. This place still stinks, though now with vampyric senses it is so much more unbearable. I can barely believe I had actually lived here for so f*****g long. But when everything turns to s**t, you’re not left with many options. I can’t smell anyone else here; neither do I hear another heartbeat. Where could she be?
 There is little point in remaining here. This place holds too many of my own nightmares, and the old man won’t be of any help. He never bothered to keep track of either of us. I may check back later, but for now I should make the most of what hours I have left before sunrise, and I no longer wish to remain here.

The streets here are almost empty. The mortal world slept, while the immortals roamed the night. But there were those even amongst the living, who lived their lives during the night, and I was once one of them. It may not be much this part of town, but at least there’s always something happening here. This part of town, it has a soul, real life.
 Somewhere, not too far away I can hear a familiar sound of heavy metal. I know it is close. I’m moving at a speed unnatural to the mortal world. I am like the wind blowing through these decrepit streets.
 Not all memories here were bad. F**k I mean sure hard times happen, but there would good memories as well. The old garage had seen better days, yet it was better than my old home. Here I knew they had been waiting for my arrival.

“You all started without me?”
They stop and now they’re looking at me. It seems band practice started without me. I haven’t been gone that long have I?
“Hey, what happened to you?” Jack asks.
A lot has happened to me. Starting with being raised as a f*****g vampire, and dealing with undead arseholes at every corner. Oh and I almost died for a second time.
“It’s a long story?”
“We have plenty of time?”
I only have till sunrise.
”Not now, maybe later.”
F**k I know that look. He’s got that concerned look, and here it goes.
“Are you alright?”
Well besides being dead and all, I’m f*****g peachy.
“Yeah, I’m good. Just had a long night.”
There is someone standing at the door. It’s my sister’s best friend. I can never remember her name. I think it begins with an S, or was that her other friend.
“There you are.”
What the hell does she want now?
“Your sister’s sick, and you’re playing rock star.”
Then again maybe it begins with a B. What the hell is she talking about anyway, besides being annoying at times my sister was fine, last time I checked.
“What are you babbling about?”
“Didn’t you hear?”
Oh just f*****g spit it out.
“Hear what?”
“She’s in a real bad state, dying maybe, I don’t know, doctors wouldn’t tell me.”
“What, when did this happen?”
“Yesterday, I thought you would have known.

Well clearly I didn’t receive the memo. I need to get to her. F**k why does all this s**t have to happen at once? I can’t deal with this now. That brat better not die on me. We may not always get along, but she’s the only real family I have left.
 There’s only place nearby that they would have taken her. Our hospital is well it’s not a lot. I keep hearing about how they’re understaffed and ill equipped.
 Inside I can hear all the noises that a hospital would usually make. And the smell of blood here is very strong. It’s a beautiful scent, the smell of blood it makes me hungry. I really could go for a snack right now, I wonder how a PHD would taste?
 But I can’t think about food now. I have to f*****g concentrate. So many people here, are they looking at me? No nothing’s wrong. Oh I really need to feed, maybe just a quick bite. No I can’t not now, find her first then feed. But what if I get hungry and bite her? No I could never do that. But then I am hungry, ever so hungry, and the scent of blood everywhere it’s euphoric.
There’s blood everywhere here, stained with f*****g blood. I feel the tinge inside me. This hunger is f*****g unbearable. I can’t f*****g take this anymore. S**t everyone’s looking at me; I can’t take their stares. Their heart beats pounding my f*****g head. This sweet scent of death, it’s beautiful and overpowering. But no I can’t; not now she needs me.
 I smell her blood, I’m following the scent, and there she is. She looks so fragile. How the f**k could this have happened? She always seemed so healthy, so lively. And now look at her, it’s a f*****g mess all of this. And I couldn’t even be there for her when she was suffering. Everything has turned to s**t.
She’s not awake, is she really dying? Her heartbeats in a rhythm, though it doesn’t sound strong. She seems still alive, but wait the beats are slowing.
No, I refuse to give up on her. I refuse to allow her to die; I will lose my only family.
She is close to death. I know this; I never really knew if we were close. We argued so much. But then perhaps all families do. But then we also looked out for each other when no one else would. So here it goes, she may die tonight, but she will awaken again into a strange new life. I run my nails along my wrist allowing my immortal blood to flow freely, now I move my wrist above her mouth, letting her drink my blood, so that she will come back to me, and I will not be alone anymore.
Her eyes open to a new world. Scenes souring high, her eyes look to me.
“What happened?” She asks.
“You died.”
“That’s not funny.”
“It wasn’t a joke. Your dead, we both are.”
“Yeah sure we’re f*****g ghost.”
“Vampires actually.”
 “Stop f*****g around my heads pounding enough as it is.”
“That’s not your head, don’t you smell it?”
“What so there’s a smell, it smells good actually real good. I feel hungry.”
“It’s blood, you need to feed.”
She does look rather hungry.
“I’ll be right back.”
Alright, I’ll leave her be. She should be ok for now. I need to find her a meal. F**k I’m hungry too. I really need to grab a snack for myself while I’m out. What about that doctor he looks tasty, I just need to get him back to my sister.
Wait what the f**k was that scream….S**t what has she done now. I better check on her. S**t she’s eating a f*****g doctor.
“Could you possibly be any less subtle?”
She looks up at me, her mouth dripping with fresh blood. Sitting up from her fresh meal.  She looks horrified at what she has done; she backs away from the body.
“What the f**k has happened to me?”
“I told you, you’re a vampire now.”
“Wait what, are you serious? How the f**k did this happen?”
“You were dying, so I turned you.”
“Why the f**k did you do that.”
        Could she be any less grateful?
“Gee I don’t know why did I save your life.”
“You turned me into a f*****g monster.”
“I saved your life.”
“No you killed me.”
F**k this.
“Fine, do whatever you want I don’t give a s**t.”
F*****g ungrateful F**k. Alright screw this; I’m out of here. But first I need a meal. He looks tasty. There’s a doctor all alone, how convenient. I sneak up behind him and as always instinct kicks in. I tear into his throat, the sweet blood gashing out invigorating my senses. Doctors taste good, real good. His blood drains, and his heartbeat dies. I let go of my tasty meal. Ah blood, so refreshing. I feel like a whole vampire.
I’ve made my way outside, back out into the night. F**k her, I saved her life and all she can do is insult me.
“Now you know how I have felt. Frustrating isn’t it?” Adelmar says from the shadows, that sneaky old b*****d.
“I’m not in the mood for another lecture.”
“Why would I bother, when clearly you have still learned nothing from my words.”
“What the f**k was I suppose to do let her die?”
“All mortals die, it is quite simply nature.”
“And what about us?”
“We are special young one.”
“Well now she is too.”
“Perhaps, but she walks a much more dangerous path than you, she seems far more reckless, and will do much to spite you.”
“Well that’s just f*****g great.”
“Be careful, she will cause much trouble. It was not wise to sire her.
“I don’t care about your f*****g wisdom, that’s still my sister in there.”
“Very well, but when the time comes do not say I did not warn you.”
And now he’s disappeared again, one moment he’s standing in front me, next it’s like he just vanished. That guy gives me the creeps. But he was right about one thing; my sister is going to be trouble.
Maybe I shouldn’t have left her alone, she may be ungrateful but she is still my sister. I really check on her. F**k I hope she doesn’t cause too much trouble. I didn’t want this for her but I couldn’t let her go. No, I did the right thing. After everything I’ve lost I’m not losing her too.

 

© 2012 Zarok


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on June 14, 2012
Last Updated on June 14, 2012

Author

Zarok
Zarok

Australia



About
Well where should I begin, I'm male my hair is naturally brown, though it was blonde as a child, I've dyed it black now, my hair is quite long reaching more than half way down my back. When it come.. more..

Writing