"I'm Sorry"

"I'm Sorry"

A Story by The Fallen
"

Regret can be a heavy burden, but eventually you have to face the source of it...

"

Mickey barely noticed the torrential downpour of rain all around him, despite the fact that he

was already soaked and only getting wetter. He was much too focused, with his attention solely on the object in front of him. It was a very intricately designed headstone marking the site of a lone grave, atop Headhunter Hill. With every flash of lightning and clap of thunder, the detailed engravings that had been etched into the granite seemed to glow unnaturally.

As he stared down at the grave at his feet, so many thoughts passed through his head, blocking

out the world around him. Mickey idly wiped his cheeks with the back of his hand, feeling the wetness that had been there. Despite the heavy rains, he could feel the difference between the water and tears that had been trailing down his face. 'Its okay to cry sometimes' he told himself. It was something he'd been told throughout his entire childhood, by the very person who was no longer around to tell him again.

Mickey crouched down and ran his hand through the grass underneath him. His gaze fell from

the headstone, down to the grass of the grave before returning back to the headstone. He eyed the two dates etched into the stone, but it wasn’t the birth-date that made his heart wrench in his chest. It was the other one. The day the last of his family had passed. The day that the world had lost a great soul. The day that had passed over four years ago…

Yet this was the first time that Mickey had actually come here to visit, and that fact racked him

with guilt. He had avoided coming here for years. He was afraid that visiting would make it real. That by not visiting, it would somehow not be true. Possibly more so than any other reason, was that he was ashamed…As more tears fell from his eyes, Mickey finally spoke. "I am so so sorry" he choked out, holding back his sobs.

"I'm sorry that I didn’t come sooner. I'm sorry that I wasn’t there all those years ago…when you

needed me. When you needed anyone…I am so f*****g sorry." Mickey finally gave up trying to hold back his cries and broke down. He sunk to his knees and sobbed into the grass, letting his tears and anguish flow into the earth. He didn’t know how long he cried there, but it had to have been for a while. Mickey didn’t care about that though. He had years of grief and pain to let out, and when he was done, he slowly began collecting himself.

Mickey rose to his feet, sniffling one last time before he hardened his expression and his resolve

with determination. "I let you down in life and I will regret there for the rest of mine, but I wont let you down in death. I promise…" he said before turning away from the grave and walking away. After a few feet, he paused and glanced over his shoulder to look at the grave one last time. "I promise little brother…" he said before walking down the path, noticing that the rain had finally stopped.

© 2017 The Fallen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on March 2, 2017
Last Updated on March 2, 2017
Tags: Regret, Sorry, Brother, Grave, Dead

Author

The Fallen
The Fallen

About
I am a young writer, student, philosopher and many other things. I enjoy the beauty of life but I am cursed with the ability to see the darker side of humanity in its truest form. We all seek to rise .. more..

Writing
"Apollo" "Apollo"

A Story by The Fallen