Addiction

Addiction

A Poem by Zayir
"

Alchohol Addiction

"
You're everywhere 
I see you at family parties
I see you by my father's side 
I see you on TV 
You used to seem cool, everyone knew you
We met in middle school 
You helped with the pain 
The stress
And all the bullshit 
We were inseparable freshman year 
I couldn't sleep without you 
Because of you 
My life was hell 
You ruined my relationships with my friends and family 
But I needed you 
It got so bad that we snuck around together 
Few knew about me and you 
You introduced me to drugs 
You made me contemplate suicide multiple times 
You made me hit rock bottom 
So I stopped being with you 
I started hanging out with the right people
I stopped doing drugs 
Cold turkey
It was hard but my life became so much better
When I made the decision to never be with you again  
I admit you made me feel good 
Sometimes I actually miss you 
You changed my life 
So this is a warning
Don't make the same mistake I did
If you see alcohol, don't get to know him 
Or else you might get addicted too

© 2018 Zayir


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a good message for people. I never drank alcohol, but I was into drugs for over 20 years, I can relate. I was in and out of jail and didn't care. This was many years ago and my life is not perfect, but it is sure better without drugs and all that comes with it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

This is a combination of a poem, story and message. Congratulations on becoming clean and staying on.. read more



Reviews

i really like this one, how love is a drug in its own sense when dealing with chemical addiction. when they intertwine it can be heart-wrenching. people and pipes and pills are sometimes unhealthy habits we can't break.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It can be a very had habit to break but with support and patience it can be.. read more
I really liked this. At first, it sounded like a boyfriend, but in the end, you gave us a nice twist. I love that. Great piece.

Here are a few suggestions I have. You don’t have to use any of them, they are merely just suggestions.

* The “on my dad’s nightstand” sounded a little strange to me at first. Like, if this was your boyfriend (like you seem to be striving to make it appear early on), why would he be on your dad’s nightstand?

* “You seemed to be really cool, everyone knew you” I’d say, “You used to seem really cool” because it was a past opinion of yours. You know better now.

* And this one. “I couldn't sleep without you.” I’d say, “without a taste of you”. Otherwise, it sounds like you’re literally sleeping with alcohol, which sounds slightly awkward. Ha ha, or maybe that’s just me.

* I’d also switch these two lines. “My life was hell” and “Because of you….” Start with “Because of…” it seems to flow better.

* “It got so bad that we were together in school”. Maybe say “snuck around together” or something that implies secrecy. Otherwise, if the reader is thinking this was a boyfriend, they'd already know you were in school together. It would also tie into the next line when you say, “few knew about…”

Also, I would use the “addiction” or “addicted” somewhere within the piece to tie in the title.


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read my work. I really appreciate the criticism, and how you though.. read more
Black Kat

5 Years Ago

You're welcome! Glad I could help.
I used to party hard every night, and alcohol... I can still have a few. My problem was coke. To this day, if I see some, I've got to numb myself before I feel that premature rush that makes me want to take as much as I can handle.
But it all fucked up my life a little more than I'd like to admit.
This is good, even though the title is 'Addiction' it more or less makes you think of the antagonist in the storyline as a person, making the reveal kind of shocking at the end.



Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

That was the point. I congratulate you for being clean and recognizing that you needed to stop. I wa.. read more
This makes people aware that the best feelings are not always the right ones. Great work!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

Thank you! That is definitely the case with drugs/alcohol and sometimes even sex. Appreciate the rev.. read more
I know so many friends and family members who have been afflicted by substance abuse and it ruined their lives, many of them already suffering with mental health issues that predisposed them to addiction as a whole. I have a spending addiction which consequently landed me in overwhelming debt. I've been working on it but I know I spend to fill a void, I'm just glad that debt can be completely reversible, as a lot of substances can tackle you with life long aftereffects and symptoms. I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs and never have both because I never felt the desire, but also because of a fear of ending up in a worse situation than I have already been in. This was a good read.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

There is so much stigma behind substance abuse and often times (like you said), people who suffer me.. read more
Ariana Omnomnom

5 Years Ago

Thank you. ❤️
This is a good message for people. I never drank alcohol, but I was into drugs for over 20 years, I can relate. I was in and out of jail and didn't care. This was many years ago and my life is not perfect, but it is sure better without drugs and all that comes with it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Zayir

5 Years Ago

This is a combination of a poem, story and message. Congratulations on becoming clean and staying on.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 15, 2017
Last Updated on October 24, 2018
Tags: Alchohol, Addiction, Depression

Author

Zayir
Zayir

Fresno, CA



About
I do not go by my legal name for privacy and personal reasons. I am able to go in depth with my poems because I am anon. Still wish to know more about me? Well... What I do: I attend universit.. more..

Writing
Salazar Salazar

A Poem by Zayir


The universe The universe

A Poem by Zayir



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..