The Bright Side

The Bright Side

A Story by Troy Davis
"

Inspired from the songs "Mr. Brightside and Miss Atomic Bomb" (The Killers), Brandon tells his story of why he left Amanda on the night he was about to propose to her.

"
Brandon sat anxiously in the restaurant. In front of him sat Andy, the cousin of Amanda. Andy had requested that Brandon would meet him somewhere to talk about what had happened in the past ten years since Brandon and Amanda had departed from each other. 
“So, what do you want to talk about?” Brandon earnestly asked.
Andy chokingly said,  “Are you aware that Amanda has been put into rehab for attempting suicide?”
Concerned, Brandon said, “No, I have not heard anything from her in ten years.”
“She attempted suicide right before her next big show a couple weeks ago.”
Brandon remembered her being a dedicated dancer back in the days. He always wondered what she had come to be. 
“Why are you coming to me after ten years?” Brandon asked.
“We had a fair relationship back then, and you and Amanda were so strong together. I want to understand what happened that night you left her.”
Brandon stared interested. He had completely cut off communications with Andy and Amanda for ten years, so he felt like it would be reasonable to explain why.
“Well, it would be easier to explain starting from when we met. I was new in town, the one the girls said had the such eager eyes.”
“Ha, I remember that.”
“Amanda was doing her first show in town. I remember how big that was for her. It was done so well, and she became quite known in the local area. She didn’t really get out much because her mother was so strict about her learning academics and then perfecting her dance, but I was a talented singer, so I met her while we were both practicing in the same house. She complimented my voice, and I in return complimented her dance and beauty. I really don’t know how we became so close from that point. We just started talking every evening that we would practice in the same house. One evening she took me out on the balcony of the house and showed me the stars and oddly told me that I was her bright side. From that night, I was convinced that destiny had called us to be together. On Friday nights we would take my daddy’s car and drive through the desert. On those hot nights we would lay on the hood of the car watching the stars put a show on for us while the radio was on. For just a second there we won, and it was perfect.”
Andy curiously stared at him and then asked, “So, what happened?”
Brandon silently thought about the neon nights he had spent with Amanda for a few more seconds and then continued, “Amanda was about to have another big show that she had to thoroughly practice for. She was to be represented as human bomb that would explode and kill thousands unless a charming man was able to disarm her.”
“I remember the story.”
“It was then I learned that she was practicing and dancing with another man. She was no longer dancing in the same house that I would sing in, but instead in this ugly pink building the man had owned himself. The man was rather wealthy and aged, maybe in his forties. They spent so much time dancing together that I only got to see her on some Friday nights. She and this man seemed to have grown close. It began to disturb me. The Friday night before the show I waited by the balcony of her room and called her. She looked out and told me she did not have time to go out, for she had to rest for practice early in the morning. As I walked away, I turned to look at her window, and I could see the shadow of the man standing by her. My stomach was twisted and sick, and though it was all in my head I could see them dancing together in her room and then sleeping together. That night I could hardly sleep, and for the next couple of days I couldn’t get him out of my head. The night came for the show and I had front seats. Before she left to start the show she kissed me on the cheek and asked me to wish her luck. I tried forgetting that the man had existed for just this night, and I bought a sparkling ring to propose to her.  That night I watched her dance so gracefully with him, and it stung. I swear he was starring and smiling right at me. It made me weak. The dance ended and it was perfect, but I felt like a dagger had been buried deep in my back. She had returned home that night, and I was waiting by her balcony. While waiting, I could see her performing the dance by herself. She was thinking about that wonderful dance with the man she had done it with, and it hardened my heart. She came out onto the balcony excited and said, ‘Oh, Brandon, wasn’t it wonderful! We can now return to seeing each other on practices and Friday nights!’ I said nothing in return, but instead turned around and walked away. Her face was puzzled and disappointed, but I did not pay any more attention to it. Just a couple weeks later I had taken a job offer out of town just to get away. I would let her live her fantasy with the man she grew to love.”
Andy starred bluntly and said, “Brandon, you were so ignorant! Amanda had loved you with all her heart. Franklin, the man you have spoken of, was a married man and left town right after the show. The shadow you saw that night through her window was me bringing in her costume for the show!”

© 2013 Troy Davis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
Added on August 22, 2013
Last Updated on August 22, 2013
Tags: The Killers, Mr. Brightside, Miss Atomic Bomb, Love, Tragic, Twist, jealously, paranoia

Author

Troy Davis
Troy Davis

Suffolk, VA



About
I enjoy writing, but usually when I start a story, I never finish it. However, I am hoping a writing community will inspire me to actually finish my stories. I also hope that it will help me improve m.. more..

Writing