Why?

Why?

A Story by Gary

When I first opened my eyes, everything was a blur. But slowly the room came into focus. Cold cobblestone walls, metal bars across the doors and a small, barred window near the ceiling. I let out a groan as I sat up in my small bed that was chained to the wall. When I put my head into my hands, a sudden pain shot through me when I felt the large knot near my temple.

“Why?” a voice said.

I looked over into the corner of the room, and there sat a small girl in a frilly pink dress.

“Why?” she said again.

“Do you know where we are?” I asked.

Slowly the little girl faded until she completely disappeared.

The room felt like it was spinning when I suddenly stood. “Okay…what is going on here?” I said as I sat back down and held on the bed for dear life.

“Why did you do it?”

The little girl was now sitting next to me on the bed. “Why did I do what?” I asked confused.

“Think…why did you do it?”

Again, the little girl slowly disappeared from my sight.

“Alright…think,” I said to myself. “What’s the last thing you remember?” I closed my eyes and desperately tried to remember. “Julie,” I said as I jumped to my feet. “Julie and I are supposed to get married today.” I could feel my heart began to pound as I ran to the door of my cell. “Guard.” I shouted. “Guard…you have to get me out of here.”

“The guards won’t let you out,” an all too familiar voice said.

“Why not?” I asked the little girl who was standing outside of the barred door.

“Think.”

I grabbed the cold metal bars and rested my forehead against them as I again closed my eyes. “I was with Steve and Mark last night. It was my bachelor party. Yeah, now I remember,” I said as I opened my eyes and began to pace. “I was at Steve’s house. We were doing shots at his kitchen table.”

“Then what?”

“We emptied the bottle.”

“Why did you do it? Why did you dive to get more?”

Tears began to well up in my eyes. “I got into my car and headed to the liquor store. That’s where I’ve seen you before. You were on your bike. Oh my God…Are you okay? thank God you’re okay."

“I’m dead…we’re both dead.”

“No…no…It can't be.  I can see you. If we are dead how can I see you?”

The little girls dress was now covered in blood. Her little arms and legs now twisted and disformed.

“You’re in Hell…you get to see me everyday for eternity. Why? Why did you do it? Why did you kill me like that?

© 2021 Gary


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was a very good suspenseful story I definitely love it very good and its very sad yet entertaining dose not feel like the right word well anyway you captivated me into your story completely

Posted 4 Months Ago


Gary

4 Months Ago

Thank you very much.
Oh, no.. what a heart-wrenching turn. :(

You did a fantastic job on this! It gives a sense of that eerie and dark atmosphere you'd find in an Edgar Allan Poe story. The pacing is absolutely spot on – I was seriously hooked right from the start.

Posted 7 Months Ago


Gary

7 Months Ago

Thank you so much for the kind words.
Great short story. Packs a punch even though as soon as the little one appeared I kind of expected death to be the outcome.
Look forward to more of your short stories.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ouch! Wow, this should be required reading. A great lesson. Think I would omit the last line.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Very good Gary. Your story works well and your dialogue flows well. I suppose another option was for him to have lived but your storyline is good.
Well done!
Alan

.


Posted 2 Years Ago


Gary

2 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
Well done! Vivid description and it sparked emotion for me

Posted 3 Years Ago


Gary

3 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 16, 2021
Last Updated on March 16, 2021

Author

Gary
Gary

anderson, IN



About
Writing is one of my many hobbies. I know that I will never be published, but I still want to learn and be the best writer I can be. So, any advice would be helpful. more..

Writing
Family Secrets Family Secrets

A Book by Gary