The Universal Deficiency of the Teenage Heart

The Universal Deficiency of the Teenage Heart

A Story by Aaliyah Payne
"

A one page story loosely inspired by the movie Stuck In Love.. a look into the heart and mind of a teenager.

"

When you’re young, you feel like everything is forever, and you're as strong as they come. You feel like you're at the very peak of the mountain, and you feel this intense satisfaction as you're looking over the entire land. You feel like you're the ruler of your country. You wear your crown, and you have your cape. It’s endless. But, that was when you were young.

 

When you’re a teenager, you feel like everything is rushed, and you're running out of time, of breath, like everything is crumbling. You can’t make up your mind about things. You’re confused. You don’t know what to do. “Which way should I turn? Why am I like this? Is this normal?” You’re either too much of something, or too little. Nothing’s ever right, and you are always judged. You want love, but you look for it in the wrong places. The hurt, the pain, the bruises on your heartthe panicked motions and fearful hands. The too strong grip on your arm, or the careless way they talk to you.  “This must be love. This has to be it.” You don’t know any better. You’re confusing it with the things you see, with the things you think ought to be true.  You want to feel the high that you felt when you were at the peak of that mountain all those years ago, but you can’t quite catch it. So you look for it in other things, and you inhale poison. You’re nervous. Being a teenager isn’t quite what you imagined. It’s different on TV, and you feel as if some books are more real and honest than the pretty images that Hollywood tries to feed you.

 

While you’re a teenager, you begin to realize that nothing stays the same, and the term forever is just a figment of your imagination. You put things and people above yourself. You don’t give yourself enough attention. You compare yourself to everything. You compare yourself to people. You compare yourself to other friends. You begin to tear yourself apart, all the while you’re wondering, “Why am I like this? I don’t know why I’m like this.” You crave affection, but you don’t give yourself any. You feel as if you don't deserve anything good. “This has to be some kind of joke isn’t it? I don't deserve you.” When something good happens, it’s basically second nature to wonder when it’s going to go wrong.

 

Why are we conditioned this way? What happened in that tender in-between stage of childhood and adolescence? Is there a universal deficiency in the teenage heart that causes all of us to feel this way at some point? Why are we denying ourselves happiness? Why are we denying ourselves the right to love, the right to love others, and most importantly ourselves. Life is rushed, yes. Life is short. Each and every single day we’re running out of time. So don’t waste it. Act like a child again. Be happy. Run through fields. Listen to your favorite song on repeat for hours. Find new songs to love. Find new books to read. Re-read your favorite books. Cherish the good things in your life. Don’t question it. Accept it. Embrace it. You go to that concert. You go to that game. Write a song. Explore old places, and explore new ones. Try new things. Laugh, and laugh again. Mean it when you laugh, and when you smile, make sure it’s so genuine it hurts, and that your cheeks ache from it. Fall in love, and make sure its truly and madly and deeply in love. Love honestly. Love your friends, and make sure they know it. Allow yourself to be loved. Forgive others, and forgive yourself. Don’t let the diseases that are hate and envy pull and drown you in that dark abyss. It isn’t worth it. When you wake up, don’t think, “God, another horrible day.” No! Wake up and think something positive, and I promise you with all my heart, your day is going to be positive too. Appreciate the little things! Appreciate the big things. Life is not going to stop for anyone. It keeps going and going in an endless cycle. Have a young heart. Embrace diversity. Most importantly, embrace yourself.

© 2015 Aaliyah Payne


Author's Note

Aaliyah Payne
what do you think? any constructive criticism? ways to expand?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on February 27, 2015
Last Updated on February 27, 2015
Tags: writing, teenagers, heart, mind, universal, deficiency, movie based, open, true

Author

Aaliyah Payne
Aaliyah Payne

About
I write everyday about everything, and I would love to share it with you all. I listen to too much music, and I read too much, but all is well. more..

Writing