Hearth

Hearth

A Story by Aaron Astle
"

The value of a daughter to her father.

"

"Look, you see there, atop the hill, there's a tree"

"It's so big, are we going there?"

"Indeed, for that is a tree I planted ten winters ago, do you remember when you were born?

"Ten winters ago, you said the country was at it's coldest that year"

"Right. It is however my dear, that the tree you see in the distance proves the contrary"

"What do you mean father?"

"As you came into the coldest winter I've experienced, your mother and I threw aside our shawls as we held you"

"But why if it was so cold?"

"You see the tree dear?"

"Yes?"

"I withdrew a seedling from my grandfathers oak, and laid it there on the hill, for it is there you were birthed, and it is at the time you arrived that I buried the seed into the earth of the hill, and as I finished planting, your mother held you over the mound, her tears of labor and yours of infancy fell on top of it, it was then your mother gave you to me, and as you blessed me with your first glimpse of attention, tears of love fell lastly onto the mound in which the seedling was buried, for it was then I had forgotten the cold in the warmth of your graceful gaze. So the tree you see dear, remains my hearth and warmth on winters like these, for the tears of that evening you were born from your mother and I as well as you, warm the bark of the tree in the winter, which is why on a snowy night, there remains none on this particular tree"

"Lets go then! I want to see it closer!"

Violets dress flickered and darted in all ways that the wind passing her rushing feet could carry, her father hastily following. She nears it and finds it to exceed her height four-fold, a young oak tree, with but a single branch resting not a young lass's height above the ground. The father tiredly summiting the hill to find Violet sitting on the branch, he slowly approaches the trunk of the oak and removes his shawl at the feet of the tree, as does Violet, and together they place their faces onto the trunk.

"Can you feel the warmth dear?"

"I can!"

"Good".

The two share in silence, a smile at one another across the trunk of the oak.

"Happy birthday, Violet"

© 2013 Aaron Astle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on March 25, 2013
Last Updated on March 25, 2013
Tags: dreamy, tree, winter, old, father, daughter, violet, short story

Author

Aaron Astle
Aaron Astle

Auckland, Mt. Albert, New Zealand



About
I free myself in many ways, and yet ironically they all feel very isolating to an extent. Among many things, writing keeps my mind occupied for what little time it has to remain in one place. I wake u.. more..

Writing
Patience Patience

A Story by Aaron Astle