Unanswered

Unanswered

A Story by Pressed and Prim
"

The beep beep beep of an unanswered call.

"
Beep beep beep.
Does anyone ever count how many times the phone beeps before someone answers? How many beeps is it until the creepy, badly recorded voice of that woman tells you the "subscriber cannot be reached, please try again later?"

It varies from place to place, but whenever she speaks, I would like to scream.

Sometimes there is an interference that fools you in to thinking that the person has picked up. Your heart jumps at the disruption of the monotony; sometime you might even say "hello?" But then the beeps keep going. You are not acknowledged. I sometimes imagine that this interference, this shift of beeps, is a result of the person on the other end's moving, or holding of the phone. Is that possible? Or is it just wishful thinking?

The phone continues to beep and you reflect on how if it were you, you wouldn't miss this call. Not something as urgent, though you know the other person couldn't have any idea of how much you want them to pick up. But isn't a call always urgent? The immediacy of contact. It cannot wait for a reply through text, it needs the quickness of brain to mouth, of responders flowing through nerves that can give you most answers in under a minute. A call is the fast solution that nothing else can suffice. 

But even if all this is true, your phone still beeps. It beeps and beeps until the goddess of phone calls takes pity on you and tells you that you might as well give up and try again later. Maybe the person on the other end will change their mind. Maybe they will remember that you still exist. 

Maybe, just maybe, they'll call you back.

And revenge is as sweet as an incessant beep.

© 2013 Pressed and Prim


Author's Note

Pressed and Prim
please comment what you think ^___^

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

beep beep beep beep beep beep beep

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013
Tags: phones, calls

Author

Pressed and Prim
Pressed and Prim

Philippines



About
I try to be out of the box. But I usually end up being a hopeless romantic. I write likeChuck PalahniukI Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing! more..

Writing