12. The Hershbergers

12. The Hershbergers

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Has Chrissy and Emily's luck finally changed? Is it too good to be true?

"

Micah Hershberger was surprised and a little alarmed when he found a strange, and rather wild looking, woman getting water from his well at the crack of dawn. But that concern quickly melted away to sympathy when she turned around and he saw the look of desperation on her face.


He was just as surprised as the woman was when he invited her to breakfast. He didn't know what made him do it and when he thought about it later he decided that the Good Lord must've put the idea into his head. And when he saw the woman's poor bedraggled daughter come out of his corn field and stand next to her shivering in cold and fear, well... that clinched it! Micah and his wife Sarah were friendly, charitable people with a strong faith and a quick smile. He wasn't going to let these two poor souls leave his farm without a hot meal.


“I'm Micah,” he said, still smiling, “And that's my daughter, Rebecca.”


“I'm Chrissy, and this is Emily.”


He beckoned to them. “Well, come with me and we'll find you a seat close to the stove.” They followed him as he entered the back door and walked through a small mud-room into the kitchen. There was the smell of a wood fire burning. Although it was beginning to get light outside, the kitchen was still quite dark and was lit with kerosene lanterns. A pretty young woman was busy at a wood stove with pots and pans.


“This is my wife, Sarah,” said Micah, “Set two more places for breakfast, Sarah, we have guests. This is Chrissy and Emily.” Sarah turned to look and froze with astonishment when she saw the two unexpected guests. She gave Micah an inquiring look. “Excuse us for a moment,” said Micah to Chrissy. He and Sarah went through a door into the dining room and spoke quietly in what sounded to Chrissy like German. After several seconds they came back into the kitchen and Sarah smiled at them.


“Welcome to my kitchen,” she said warmly. She pulled out two chairs at the table. “Please sit down.”


“Well, I don't mean to be rude,” said Micah, “But I have chores to do.” He gave them a smile and a nod and went back outside.


“I'm afraid breakfast won't be ready for another half hour,” explained Sarah. She was obviously feeling a little awkward with the unexpected guests. “But the coffee will be ready in a few minutes.”


“Could we please have some water?” asked Chrissy.


“Of course.” She got out two glasses and filled them from a pitcher. She set the glasses and the pitcher in front of them. She watched in surprise as Chrissy and Emily immediately downed the contents of their glasses. Chrissy refilled them and they drank half of those, too.


“Thank you!” said Chrissy a little breathlessly.


Sarah smiled and went back to work preparing breakfast. Rebecca came in carrying the bucket filled with water, set it on the counter and then began helping her mother. After a few minutes Sarah said to Chrissy, “The coffee is ready. Would you like a cup?”


“Please,” she responded.


She poured a cup and set it on the table in front of her and turned to Emily. “Would you like a glass of milk?” she asked.


Emily nodded, and then added, “Please,” after a poke from Chrissy's elbow. Sarah went to an old-fashioned ice-box and poured a glass of milk from a pitcher and set it in front of Emily. “Thank you,” Emily replied, this time without a nudge from her mother. She took a sip of the milk. Her eyes widened and she immediately downed the whole glass.


“Emily!” said Chrissy sternly, “Don't be a pig!”


Sarah laughed and said, “That's alright. She's probably never had whole milk straight from the cow before. Would you like another glass?”


“Please,” answered Emily.


“Make that one last!” Chrissy whispered harshly as Sarah refilled her glass.


The next twenty minutes were pure torture for Chrissy and Emily as the kitchen began to fill with the smells of a hearty breakfast being prepared. They had gone nearly two days with virtually nothing to eat and the delicious aromas were maddening. As Rebecca was setting the table a boy of about six came into the kitchen. He stopped and stared wide-eyed at Chrissy and Emily.


Without looking up from preparing breakfast, Sarah said, “It's not polite to stare, Noah. This is Miss Chrissy and Emily. They're our breakfast guests. Now run and tell your papa that breakfast will be ready in a few minutes.” The boy ran out the door.


As Sarah began to set the food on the table Micah entered with Noah. They all sat down and Micah gave a prayer of thanks. Then they began to eat.


For the rest of their lives Chrissy and Emily would remember that breakfast as one of the most delicious meals they'd ever had. Hearty oatmeal with fresh raspberries, cream and honey, biscuits with tomato gravy, bacon and fried potatoes. Chrissy kept glancing at Emily throughout the meal and was proud that, despite her hunger, she remembered her table manners and didn't make a pig out herself. The Hershbergers made small talk during breakfast. Micah talked about fixing some loose shingles on the barn while Sarah listed the chores that the children needed to do before they could play. She finally asked Chrissy, “Are you from the area?”


No,” answered Chrissy, “We're just traveling through. We... uh... were camping and... um, we ran out of water.”


Well,” said Micah, “You can have all the water you need.” He looked at Sarah. There was obviously more to Chrissy's story than she was telling, but neither he nor Sarah pressed the matter further.


When breakfast was over Micah stood and said, “Well, if you'll excuse me, I have a lot of chores to do. Thank you for joining us for breakfast.” He went outside with Noah close behind.


Sarah and Rebecca began to clear the table. Chrissy got up and started to help but Sarah gently scolded her. “No! Guests do not clear the table in my house. You sit back down. Would you like another cup of coffee?”


No, thanks,” Chrissy replied, “Listen, I can't thank you enough for breakfast. It was delicious. But we really need to get going.”


Perhaps you should stay and rest for awhile,” responded Sarah.


No... really. We should go. You've done enough.”


Sarah smiled and gave a nod toward Emily. Chrissy turned and saw that Emily was fast asleep at the table with her chin resting on her chest. Chrissy's shoulders slumped and she sighed. The poor kid! She'd been through hell the last couple of days. Her heart went out to her. “Well... maybe we could stay a little while longer I guess,” she said.


Sarah gently shook Emily awake and said, “Follow me.” Emily and Chrissy followed her through the dining room and into the living room where she led them to a sofa. Chrissy sat down while Emily laid down next to her with her head on Chrissy's lap. She immediately fell asleep again. Sarah smiled and whispered, “Stay as long as you want.” She went back out to the kitchen, closing the door to the living room as she went.


Chrissy couldn't believe their good luck at finding these people. Still... she couldn't help being a little suspicious. She was a firm believer in the old adage, 'If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.' But the Hershbergers certainly seemed genuine. She decided she would let Emily sleep for about an hour. Then they would have to get going again. Maybe the Hershbergers would give them something bigger to carry water in and directions for the shortest route out of the county. She looked at the clock on the wall. In one hour she would wake Emily up. One hour.


She awoke with a start several hours later.







© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Actually, a large number of Amish households nowadays do have running water and electricity, though the electricity is only for the basics like refrigerators and water pumps. Many use propane stoves instead of wood burning stoves, too. But Micah and Sarah belong to a more conservative order that still discourages those things.

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Glad Emily and Chrissy got a break. They sure needed it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like all the little details about this Amish family. You've made the Hershbergers seem very real.

And the cliffhanger at the end! In an Amish house may be a good place to hide from authorities but....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I did a lot of research about the Amish, not to mention I live in Ohio and have met a fe.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

592 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 15, 2013
Last Updated on October 15, 2013
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591


Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591