13. Friends in Need

13. Friends in Need

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

A sheriff's deputy stops by the Hershbergers looking for Chrissy and Emily. Will they turn them in?

"

Chrissy looked at the clock on the wall and silently cursed herself. She hadn't meant to fall asleep at all, let alone for four hours. Emily stirred beside her.


“What time is it?” she asked sleepily.


“It's eleven A.M.,” answered Chrissy, “I didn't mean for us to sleep that long. We need to get going again.” She got up from the sofa and stretched. She had to admit, the sleep felt nice and probably did them both a world of good.


“I have to go to the bathroom,” whispered Emily.


“Me, too,” Chrissy replied. She looked down a short hallway for one and then remembered, “Oh, yeah. They're Amish. Their bathroom is probably outside.”


“Outside?!” asked Emily.


“Yeah. Come on.”


Emily followed Chrissy as she walked back to the kitchen. Sarah was busy preparing to make raspberry jam with Rebecca's help. Micah was sitting at the kitchen table repairing some sort of gear for horses... a bridle?


“Well,” remarked Sarah with a smile when they entered, “Did you have a good rest?”


“Yeah. More than I wanted, actually,” responded Chrissy, “I was wondering though, where's... uh... your... um... you know...”


Sarah looked at her inquiringly. Without looking up from his work, Micah smiled and said, “She's looking for the privy, Sarah.”


“Oh, yes,” she smiled and beckoned, “Right this way.” She led them to the back door and pointed. “That little building right there.” She returned to the kitchen.


“You first, Kid,” said Chrissy. She waited by the back door until Emily finished.


“It stinks!” whispered Emily as she came back in.


“Shhh!” Emily was right though, it did stink. But Chrissy had been in parking garage stairwells that smelled worse. When she returned to the kitchen she said, “I can't thank you guys enough for everything you've done, but we really need to get going again.”


Sarah set a cup of coffee on the table and responded, “Sit for just a little while longer. There's something we would like to tell you. Rebecca, why don't you show Emily your room?”


Rebecca smiled and took Emily by the hand and said, “C'mon. It's upstairs” Chrissy watched with some concern as the two girls left the kitchen. What did they want to tell her that they couldn't say in front of Emily? Sarah and Micah kept working silently for a couple of minutes. Micah finally spoke.


“A lawman stopped by while you were resting,” he said without looking up from his work.


Chrissy froze and eyed them warily.


“He told us to watch out for a deranged woman with short, black hair and a little girl. He said she kidnapped the little girl and tells everyone it's her daughter.”


Chrissy was about to bolt for the door when she remembered, Emily is upstairs! They did that on purpose!


Micah continued to work as he spoke. “He said she's dangerous and violent and that she attacked two men with rocks that were trying to help her. He told us to contact them right away if we saw her.”


Chrissy furrowed her brow. What were they up to? Why didn't they turn her in?


Micah looked at Sarah. “Sarah, have you seen anyone matching that description?”


Sarah paused in her work and looked thoughtful for a moment. “No, Micah,” she replied, “I haven't seen anyone like that. I've only seen an exhausted, desperate and wary woman who's main concern is the safety and welfare of her daughter.”


Chrissy was getting confused. It was obvious that she was the one the sheriff was looking for. These people weren't that stupid.


Micah finally looked directly at Chrissy. “It's plain to see that you're not deranged or dangerous,” he said, “And it wouldn't be the first time the law around these parts has lied to us about something. We don't know why the sheriff is looking for you, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're a criminal.” His face grew stern. “But we need to know one thing. Is Emily your daughter? I don't mind telling you that we see no resemblance between you.”


Chrissy looked down at the table. “Emily's parents were killed in a car accident when she was six,” she said, “My husband and I legally adopted her two years ago.” She looked Micah in the eye and said with conviction, “She's my daughter.”


Micah looked at Sarah. She gave him a nod and he looked back at Chrissy. “That's good enough for us, then,” he replied, “We won't turn you in. And we won't ask why the sheriff is after you.”


Chrissy looked back down at the table and sighed. After everything they had done for her and Emily she owed them an explanation for why they were in such need of help. She took a deep breath and told them the whole story from the beginning.


When she was done, Micah and Sarah looked at each other for several seconds. They don't believe me, thought Chrissy, Why would they?


It was Micah who spoke next. “Well, that's a pretty wild story, Chrissy, and under normal circumstances I wouldn't believe it. But ever since Karl Horst became our sheriff things have gotten bad in our county.” He shook his head. “Now, I'm not naive. I know that every community in America has a drug problem. Even among our own Amish youth sometimes. But it's gotten really bad since he became sheriff. Marijuana, cocaine, meth... meth...”


“Methamphetamine,” interrupted Chrissy, “I know all about that one. I was addicted to it once.” They both looked at her with mild surprise. “That was a long time ago,” she added with a dismissive gesture.


“Well,” Micah continued, “Like I said, it's gotten worse and the sheriff doesn't seem to want to do anything about it. Some folks think he's protecting someone.” He looked down at the table for several moments before he went on. “There’s a farmer on the next road over named Palmer. He's English, like you.”


“I'm not English, I'm French-Canadian.” Chrissy interrupted.


“English is what we call anyone who's not Amish,” explained Sarah.


Chrissy nodded.  "Oh."


Micah continued, “One of his fields butts up against mine, so we stop and chat sometimes. Last fall he told me he found a whole field of marijuana on the west end of his land. He reported it to the sheriff's office, but they didn't do anything about it. So he threatened to go to the state police about it. Well, then his barn burnt to the ground in the middle of the night. It was ruled an electrical fire, but the next day he got an anonymous phone call telling him that his house was next if he didn't mind his own business. 'Micah,' he said to me, 'I get mad when people threaten me. But I've got my family to think of!' I could see the fear in his eyes. I knew he was telling the truth. There's other stories just as bad floating around, too.”


“Why don't you just elect a new sheriff?” asked Chrissy.


“Things happen to people that run against him,” explained Sarah, “Bad things! A couple of people have complained to the state Attorney General's office, but they won't investigate without hard evidence.”


“People are scared,” added Micah, “Your story doesn't surprise me.”


Chrissy gave a sigh of relief. “Thanks. You guys have done so much for us, but we need to get going again. If you could give us something to carry water in and give me directions to the county line it would be a big help.”


“Excuse us for a moment,” said Sarah. She stood up and took Micah by the arm into the next room. Chrissy could hear them speaking in hushed tones for the next several minutes. Once again it sounded like they were conversing in German. Sometimes the discussion became a little heated. They finally finished and reentered the kitchen.


“Chrissy,” said Sarah with a touch of authority, “Micah and I have discussed your situation. We agree that you can't stay here and that you must try to get to the next county and ask for help. But we also think that it is a very dangerous undertaking, far too dangerous for an eleven-year-old girl let alone a woman.” She paused and cleared her throat. “So... we are offering to watch Emily for you and keep her safe while you attempt it. She will be much safer here with us. You can trust us to care for her as if she were our own daughter.”


Chrissy was astounded. These people never stopped surprising her. But, it was too much to ask. She couldn't allow it. And yet... it would sure be easier to make a run for the county line without having to worry about Emily. And if something happened to Chrissy, the Hershbergers would see to it that Emily was taken care of and protected from harm. They would find a way to get in touch with Ian. It would be such a load off of her mind. But could she leave her daughter here with people who were practically strangers to her?  She thought hard.  She had a gut feeling that they could be trusted.  She didn't want to trouble the Hershbergers any more than she already had. But, as Emily's mother, her top priority was to watch out for her and keep her safe.


After a long pause she nodded. “You're right,” she said, “It would be best to leave her here. You people are too much! I can't thank you enough.”






© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hello Craig! I am here to do what I always do, provide a review when requested. My biggest issue is your use of the word 'Englisher.' The Amish refer to the non-Amish as 'The English' or just 'English.' Englisher, is actually a derogatory term used by anti-English people to insult the English. I suggest looking it up, don't want anyone being offended!

Another item that caught my attention was when you said, 'Chrissy tensed!' I don't think the exclamation point should be there, simply because it's not an interjection or exclamation, it's just a movement. In my opinion, it should be a period. Perhaps "Chrissy tensed; her heart fell into her chest/Stomach went up into her throat/ adrenaline coursed through her veins etc."

Other than that...I find it interesting. It will be interesting to see why she was willing to leave her daughter there, as I know personally, I wouldn't. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the Sheriff I think that could be a great addition to the story line...or a part of your story where another story could take place. And the two story lines just so happened to cross paths temporarily. I'll be waiting to see what you do with it.

-N. Van Avery

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I guess I shouldn't have sent a read request in the middle of a story like that. This is chapter 13.. read more
N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

Awesome I am looking forward to the next chapters. I was lost for sure, as I had not read your previ.. read more



Reviews

I love how Chrissy loves her daughter so much!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A Nicely done chapter. I'm enjoying your story. Chrissy is very trusting to leave Emily with these people. But she is a survivor so I'm sure her instincts are excellent. How is Emily going to take this being left behind I wonder?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing.
Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Actually, Emily does react negatively, but for a different reason than Chrissy expected.
Well, Craig, you know I love your work, but there is one flaw to this story-the chapters aren't coming fast enough! LOl

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

That's a complaint I can live with. Thanks, Barb.
These Hershbergers really are special people. It was so fortunate that Chrissy chose that particular house to get water from. I really hope Emily (and Chrissy, and the Hershbergers!) is going to be okay. Thank you for another great chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

You're very welcome and thank you for the review.
Hello Craig! I am here to do what I always do, provide a review when requested. My biggest issue is your use of the word 'Englisher.' The Amish refer to the non-Amish as 'The English' or just 'English.' Englisher, is actually a derogatory term used by anti-English people to insult the English. I suggest looking it up, don't want anyone being offended!

Another item that caught my attention was when you said, 'Chrissy tensed!' I don't think the exclamation point should be there, simply because it's not an interjection or exclamation, it's just a movement. In my opinion, it should be a period. Perhaps "Chrissy tensed; her heart fell into her chest/Stomach went up into her throat/ adrenaline coursed through her veins etc."

Other than that...I find it interesting. It will be interesting to see why she was willing to leave her daughter there, as I know personally, I wouldn't. It will also be interesting to see what happens with the Sheriff I think that could be a great addition to the story line...or a part of your story where another story could take place. And the two story lines just so happened to cross paths temporarily. I'll be waiting to see what you do with it.

-N. Van Avery

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I guess I shouldn't have sent a read request in the middle of a story like that. This is chapter 13.. read more
N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

Awesome I am looking forward to the next chapters. I was lost for sure, as I had not read your previ.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

731 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2013
Last Updated on October 24, 2013
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591