14. Home Stretch

14. Home Stretch

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy prepares to make a run for it.

"

When Emily found out that Chrissy was going to leave her with the Hershbergers she threw her arms around her and started to cry, “No, Chrissy! Please! Don't do it!”


“It's okay, Squirt,” she reassured her, “You'll be safe with the Hershbergers. Don't be afraid.”


“But, I'm not afraid for me. I'm afraid for you!


Chrissy felt a lump form in her throat. “Hey, Kid. You know I'm a survivor. I'll get through and come back with help to get you. You'll see. Now, why don't you go play with Rebecca for awhile.”


“You won't leave without telling me?”


“I promise.”


“C'mon, Emily,” said Rebecca in an attempt to cheer her up, “Want to help me gather the eggs?”


As the two girls headed for the chicken coop Micah smiled and said, “I think Rebecca's found a new friend.”


He unfolded a county road map on the table. “Now, the quickest way out of Spencer County is over the Spencer River. And the closest bridge is in a little town called Sycamore. Here's where we are,” he pointed. He started tracing along a line with his finger. “If you follow this road East about two miles, it dead-ends into McMillan road here. That's a fairly well traveled road. Go North on McMillan for about eight miles to River Road. Now, we don't get out that way much so I'm not familiar with the area. It's quite a trip by horse and buggy. But if you follow River Road for about six miles you'll come to the bridge at Sycamore. Cross that bridge and you're in the next county and out of Sheriff Horst's jurisdiction. Of course, those drug dealers can still come after you, but they won't have Sheriff Horst's protection anymore.”


“It looks like about a fifteen to twenty minute drive,” commented Chrissy.


“There's more,” he added, “When I was eighteen years old, some of my friends and I took jobs at a construction site as laborers over that way. Every morning an English fellow would pick us up in his van and drive us to the site. As I recall, we passed a State Police post about two or three miles after the bridge... right about here,” he pointed to a spot on the map, “That was a long time ago, but I imagine it's still there.


Chrissy looked at him wide eyed. “State Police?! That's who I need to talk to! I can trust them better than another sheriff.”


“Yes, but, that's the shortest route out of the county and you can be sure your enemies will be watching it closely. I think you need to find another way.”


“But I need to get to that State Police post,” said Chrissy.


Micah shook his head. “I think it's too risky, Chrissy,” he argued.


“If we could create some sort of a diversion. Something to draw them away.” She grew thoughtful for several moments. Then she looked at Micah with an evil smile. “And I think I know just how you're going to do that.”





© 2013 Craig2591


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Again, marvelous work craig. I'm enjoying your story, but as you know...I'm here to help point out some things, only to help you which at this point I'm sure you're understanding. Honestly, everything was great! I feel perhaps it's a little too short for a chapter, if you combine the next chapter you plan on writing with this one it'll be perfect. I have an odd feeling about the state police post, for some reason I feel they're on Sheriff Horst's side. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the feeling I get, almost like it's too easy.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

in relation to state police post being on the sherriffs side, I meant almost too easy...as Chrissy i.. read more
Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I don't want to give anything away, but... nothing in life is easy. : )
N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

Great! Looking forward to the continuation of this story. Keep up the good work!



Reviews

Very good chapter. I'm sure Chrissy will gt herself and Emily out of the mess they're end. Emily really does care for her mother. What a tale they'll have to tell someday!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
Again, marvelous work craig. I'm enjoying your story, but as you know...I'm here to help point out some things, only to help you which at this point I'm sure you're understanding. Honestly, everything was great! I feel perhaps it's a little too short for a chapter, if you combine the next chapter you plan on writing with this one it'll be perfect. I have an odd feeling about the state police post, for some reason I feel they're on Sheriff Horst's side. Maybe I'm wrong but that's the feeling I get, almost like it's too easy.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

in relation to state police post being on the sherriffs side, I meant almost too easy...as Chrissy i.. read more
Craig2591

10 Years Ago

I don't want to give anything away, but... nothing in life is easy. : )
N. Van Avery

10 Years Ago

Great! Looking forward to the continuation of this story. Keep up the good work!
I can't wait to see Chrissy's idea; her last one (the panties) was so good. Hope it works out and she can get out of the county.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks. I'll try to get that chapter up as soon as possible.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

517 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 25, 2013
Last Updated on October 25, 2013
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591


30. Unsung Hero 30. Unsung Hero

A Chapter by Craig2591