15. James Bond

15. James Bond

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Micah has a Walter Mitty moment.

"

Micah Hershberger climbed down from the seat of his buggy and tied his horse to the hitching post in front of the general store. He took out his pocket watch and checked it. It was eight minutes until five. Almost time.


He entered the general store and walked over to the freezer and got himself a Fudgsicle. He paid for it at the counter and went back outside and unwrapped it. Fudgsicles were a rare and favorite treat for him. He didn't get them very often. He checked his watch again. Three minutes to go.


He felt just a tinge of excitement. He remembered a movie he had seen when he was a teenager. He had been at the house of an English boy that he knew. Watching movies wasn't allowed, but he hadn't officially joined the church yet, so technically it wasn't forbidden either. The movie was about a man named James Bond. A very clever and talented fellow. Like any other teenage boy, Micah liked to imagine what it would be like to be a secret agent like James Bond, with all the excitement and pretty girls.


He felt a little like James Bond now because he was on a secret mission for Chrissy. His task was simple. At five o'clock he was to take out Chrissy's phone, insert the battery and hold the power button down until the display lit up just like she had shown him. Then he was to toss the phone into the trash and leave. When the criminals that were after Chrissy and Emily picked up the phone's signal they would all rush to the store and try to catch them. But Chrissy would be on her way to the Sycamore Bridge instead.


He checked his watch again. It was time. He took the phone out of his pocket and powered it up. As he started toward the trash can a young couple with a little boy came out of the store and got into a pick-up truck near him. He paused as an idea came to him. As the truck began to pull away, Micah surreptitiously dropped the phone into the back of it. Then he watched as the truck pulled onto the road and drove away. Now those criminals would have a moving target to track down.


He untied his horse, climbed into the seat and turned his buggy toward home. Pride was a sin, but he couldn't help smiling a little at his cleverness. Not unlike that James Bond fellow.



© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Hmm... I smell a chase scene coming up.

Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very clever idea. I just hope those people don't get in trouble with the bad people, like taking their frustrations on being so tricked out on them.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you.
Simple, yet ingenious! I only hope that family isn't going to Sycamore Bridge as well.

On a second note, I didn't know the Amish used wristwatches?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Good point! I checked and you're right about wristwatches. They are considered an adornment and no.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2013
Last Updated on October 28, 2013
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591