And We Were Wall Watchers

And We Were Wall Watchers

A Poem by abejoyal

 

And We Were Wall Watchers
We were those who grew up next to playground fences
Who befriended traffic
Who had inordinate fears
We were those who walked in circles
Stared off into space
Watched walls as we thought
We were those who could love ourselves
Though we’re not the best at anything we didn’t do
We all definitely became writers
Our silence consumed us
Unpopularity embraced us
But its quite alright, we’re just happy to be thinking

© 2009 abejoyal


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

In the reading of this piece, I equated wall watching with the simple act of daydreaming. Perhaps because that is what writing really is in a sense. Daydreaming in words. Perhaps most writers were excessive day dreamers, hard to say really, but we know they day dream now. Or that creative knack would be lost in adulthood. I enjoyed this write - but that might be due to the fact that yes, I have to say that as a child I was often lost in worlds created by my imagination, though I always kept a foot strongly in reality as well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like this poem also. It has a distinct voice and flows really well. I really like the use of the image of drifting off (we are those who walked in circles/stared off into space) but at the same time aligning it with that creative force that drives us (watched walls as we thought ).

The only suggestion I have is changing the tense of the poem to the present (grow; instead of grew, etc).

Excellent construction and intuitive. Great read.

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is great. it speaks to me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I really like the simplicity of this and it hits weirdly close to home for me, although I guess I shouldn't expect any less.
It seems like it would make a really good excerpt of internal dialog from a novel.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the quaintness of this. It made it's point clearly from the start, didn't deviate from elaborating on it, and was easy to read.

Incidentally, I disagree with it. I may by a writer now, but the only time I watched walls as a younger youth, was when a mall cop pushed me against one.

Still, enjoyable write.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 28, 2009

Author

abejoyal
abejoyal

everywhere i am



About
I'm unpublished and stereotypical, hoping to one day become a novelist. I'm currently nearly finished with a novel, which hopefully I'll be able to get published. I've been reading my entire life and .. more..

Writing
Anatomica Anatomica

A Story by abejoyal



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Words Written Words Written

A Poem by Rain