A Woman In Solace

A Woman In Solace

A Story by Adeline E. Weathers
"

[Unedited. Rough Draft.] A woman who sought and drowned in the comfort of loneliness. Simone Finley tells a story of her own.

"

I


Through the acts of apathy, I simply ran. I ran away from it all and it’s the best, damned thing I could have ever done, or so I thought for at least about 2 years before regretting it all.

The thought of needing to run away, just redundantly complaining and dreaming, turning out to be packing up my bags, taking my cats and booking a ticket. The autopilot from an overwhelming desire of finally having done it, and I have done it, I finally left everything and everyone. I went to a place where only a single friend of mine will recognize me. The most convenient place I could afford with the money I have and having to only feed my cat and me. I’ve never felt so alive, never felt so good, and I felt good at that moment. I wanted that feeling for so long. It’s what I’ve always wanted, now snatched by careless hands.

The freedom after years of endless yearning. I have finally tasted it; I have achieved it in the most cowardly way. Running away is a petty choice, but it was a step closer to my dreams and reality. It was a step closer to my calamity.

The first six months, wandering around. I looked for the place where my friend I’ve met on the internet a long time ago and stayed there. Now having a solid place, I then looked for a job until I could be on my own. Adjusted into my comfortable livelihood only after a few months, I now have my apartment studio. I finally have my things. I have made money, done making money from my habits. With a clear head and hard work, one of my life’s fulfilment wishes has been granted when I took off writing 4 books. I still live alone with my cat who died, and I have not talked to anyone for years now. I endured all my selfish needs for people and made it into life. I felt nothing like back then; I felt like a whole new person, a different one, but not quite.

I felt old. Having thoughts all by myself, I realized I’m alone, truly alone. The dreams I had as a kid, now as an adult, I’m still dreaming, but why does it feel so different? The purpose of me having those dreams, they felt so wrong. I finally felt the long-awaited happiness, but I felt so wronged. I know why and I don’t want to think about it. I refuse to listen to it and I’m not going back there again. I don’t belong there anymore. I never did. I’m here now, and living, sad but living. I wasn’t sure either.

I feel unattached to my body. I feel a lot of things. I do things on impulse and it’s… tiring. I’m so tired, I don’t know what to feel anymore. What’s the purpose… there is no further to the things I’ve accomplished and yet to do so. I don’t have to think of the things I did back then. I’ve set the goals myself and carried them on with me alone. You can’t take it back. Life goes on that way and that’s how I thought…

Don’t think about thinking. Few words have always affected me, everything affects me. But when those months came, I suddenly had a thought. I don’t want to feel alone.


Fin


II


After those six months, it started again. My mental health declined, and I shut down. I stopped coming to work; cutting off again. I couldn’t keep everything up with all the silent pressure emitting from my head. The bills, my comfortable hobbies became tiring, the art supplies and letters became a part of the walls I’m suddenly and yet again rebuilding.

Somehow, I found solace in loneliness. I became more aware of the things I declined and all I know is that I shut down, my place always a mess, becoming messier as the day passes. The foul, disgusting stench of rot felt in sync with my soul. Old emotions broke the spineless wall and embraced me. I became someone so out of reach, even with my own hands later on. My brain melted, and I did all the things I feared, facing them with more toxicity, and I could only be aware and not do anything about the situation, I could only watch myself ruin everything I have ever worked for, for those nice few months I came committed but felt wronged to do.

I couldn’t run away, not this time. The pretty colours I skipped, the fragrance of flowers that slipped from my nose as I overworked myself with obsession. Only to spiral into my dull, resurfaced habits. I had nothing and no one to rely on this time. The cat who had been my sole life and light, now gone too. The only one who I needed and stayed throughout my redundant and discombobulated thoughts. My selfishness felt damned.

These days, I keep forgetting a lot of things, and for a moment I could only cherish what I could and couldn’t remember since it helped ease the aches for even a while. I didn’t even know how I managed before then, but the realization of pushing everybody away and that I had become truly alone made it harder. This undeserved happiness...

My comfort is not enough for someone like me.


Fin


© 2021 Adeline E. Weathers


Author's Note

Adeline E. Weathers
Note this is unedited and only a rough draft. Would like to receive any kind/form of criticism to learn from(e.g parallelism, punctuations). Would take an honest and even harshest review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on October 13, 2021
Last Updated on November 6, 2021
Tags: Sad, Literature, Short Story, Fiction, Psychological, Memoir, Adult Fiction

Author

Adeline E. Weathers
Adeline E. Weathers

About
> a queer ace asian kid disappointing in all forms. If you come across my profile, thank you and hope you have a pleasant day!! >I like cats and coffee:v >Writes at her own pace, on a random ba.. more..

Writing