Our Self Image

Our Self Image

A Story by Italian Pride
"

This was written for a class of mine on something I was into, that being improving and understanding ourselves so we may always improve.

"

Part of ourselves have formed this mysterious thing called "self image" or how we portray who and what we really are. This image of ourselves is built upon past experiences, whether they be good or bad. This is a crucial part in understanding our ability to control our events for the good. Whether we like it or not though, we affect all of the conditions we draw to ourselves, even if we don't consciously attract it. If we don't consciously draw a negative event to happen to us, then it must be drawn by the unconscious! And this unconscious is what is known as our self image. Some associate themselves with being clumsy or forgetful. Well guess what, you're going to out to act according to your held self image, so why not choose something positive to be?? Why can some people see themselves as poised while others see themselves as chronically clumsy? Why is so much of the public led to criticise themselves so negatively?

As I said, our self image is made on both positive and negative experiences. The one who walks fine most of the time, but trips or stumbles once and suddenly begins to dwell on this experience is dooming himself to constantly trip! This concept can be applied to any area of our lives and is one of the components to controlling our lives. I mentioned in my other blog that we have a success mechanism that steers us in the right direction similar to a self-guided torpedo; it might veer off track for a little time, but will automatically correct itself to stay on target and head towards the programmed target. This is absolutely essential to understand, that error will occur and is a part of our success. The key is that after the mistake is made, you correct yourself based on it and forget it. The building of our self image is the most crucial of our functions because it dictates how we shall act, since we are always striving to create a true picture of what we conceive ourselves to be. You might have failed a test, all that means is that you failed the test, not that you're a failure!!

The first step to breaking down the walls of Jericho guarding your false, negative self image is in understanding. So I advise you to look at how you view yourself, and use your external circumstances to judge yourself. If I haven't said it before, as within is without! The external events in our life only affect us when we allow them to, but our inner thoughts dictate our lives and therefore we must bring that inner image of ourselves to be beautiful. Our only way to break down old beliefs and allow us to rebuild a perfect temple within ourselves is to understand that being negative is incorrect and that we are possible of so much more!! Even positive thinking won't be effective until your self image is made to act in unison with it, we will with proven study be prone to act in accordance with the self image. Once this recognition is made we can start to master the successful personality instead of nurturing the failure personality several of us have.

I'd like to wrap this up saying you are in the right direction learning your inner potential. So many people let the negatives of the world, which are brought about unconsciously by people, affect themselves. Wouldn't it be nice to know we will succeed and live happily? Well I'm here to tell you YES YOU CAN!!!

I have an exercise you can do to stimulate that desired success. I'm sure everyone has succeeded in the past, as well as failed. For a little time out of your day, relive this moment of success you've experienced, the people there, the emotions you felt. Really utilize all of your senses so that your brain believes it to be a real experience. The brain can't distinguish the difference between a descriptive illusory event and a real experience. I do this exercise when it comes to communicating with people. A few weekends ago I was volunteering for the Tukee Home Tour and began to chat with a couple of girls. As the event came to a close, I asked for the girls' numbers and they gave them to me! Well I've been reliving that experience for a couple weeks now and this past weekend, during the Pat Run, I was volunteering and met this very lovely girl and towards the end I also got her number. Be grateful and cherish past successes and focus on them to bring more of those experiences to occur. It is as described in Bible, when Jesus blessed the food and it multiplied; in our case it can be done with experiences and feelings we have.

© 2009 Italian Pride


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on June 19, 2009

Author

Italian Pride
Italian Pride

Phoenix, AZ



About
I am half-blood Italian, but don't let that fool you; I embrace it as if that's all I am. I have inherited several Italian traits, some good and others bad, ranging from my ardency in relations to th.. more..

Writing