Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Addi
"

Please read and review :)

"

“Eddi, wait!” I ran, dodging speeding cars and bustling crowds as I fought to keep up with the figure in the distance. I was losing her. Shouts of “hey, watch where you’re going, kid” and “what the hell are you doing” followed me as I ran, but I barely heard them.

“Please listen to me Eddi! I’m sorry!” I screamed after her, my breath coming in short, ragged gasps as I pushed on.

“You really expect me to listen to you?” was the answering yell. At least she’s answering, I thought.

“God, Eddi, I’m so sorry. If I could make it up to you, if there’s anything I can do…”

“It’s a little late for that now!” Eddi shot back, still running from me. “What you could’ve done was not kiss Angela. But you already did that, didn’t you? Get stuffed, Jacob.” A few horns beeped as I tore across the road, following that flash of red hair turning the corner.

“Eddi! If I could take it back I would. It was just… look, I’m sorry, ok? Would you just stop for a second, so we can talk?” There was no response. Finally I made it around the corner… and into absolute chaos.

 

Eddi had stopped running and was staring across the road, where a hooded robber was slipping out the door of a jewellery store. Almost immediately, an alarm started up, and the shopkeeper ran out of the store, frantically punching numbers into a phone. The street was practically deserted, apart from a few stragglers that quickly escaped the hectic scene. Eddi and I just stood there, frozen and staring. The thief had a large bag slung over his shoulder and was already sprinting away. That was when the cops showed up. Sirens blaring, two police cars cornered the hooded figure and the officers sprung out of their seats. But not soon enough. The criminal wrenched an automatic pistol from his belt and turned it on the cops.

“I’ll shoot,” promised a high-pitched, shaking voice. “I swear I’ll shoot.”

“Put the gun down,” ordered one of the cops. “You’re only making things worse for yourself.”

“You don’t think I’ll shoot, do you? You think I’m just another kid with a traumatic past, that I don’t have the guts. Well you’re dead wrong, buddy. I grew up in a nice house in the suburbs. My parents were good to me. I would’ve loved them, but I can’t. I’m dead inside. Always have been, always will be.” The thief grabbed at the trigger. It happened so quickly, it took me longer than it should’ve to react. As if in slow motion, I dropped to the ground, hands locked over my head as bullets flew everywhere. I don’t know how much ammo the dude had, but it must’ve been a lot, because he just kept firing. The cops had their own guns out by that time, but it was useless. The criminal had used the commotion from the shooting to distract everyone and had already started running again. The police cars were soon on his tail, but I had no doubt he’d escape.

 

I didn’t notice Eddi at my feet, blood pouring from her stomach. I just… didn’t notice. I wasn’t thinking about her. I was thinking about myself.



© 2013 Addi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very interesting.... But excellent!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addi

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
S
really amazing opening.....waiting for the following chapters!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Addi

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I will post as soon as I can.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 1, 2013
Last Updated on March 1, 2013


Author

Addi
Addi

Australia



About
I'm really just looking for some feedback on my work so please check it out and let me know how I've done! :) more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Addi


Two Two

A Chapter by Addi


Three Three

A Chapter by Addi