The white owl

The white owl

A Story by aerchus
"

What can never be reached?

"
An old man waited for his boat ride over an endless river. Sometimes the water looked red, sometimes it seemed colorless. The frail man looked into the water, but could not see his reflection. He looked up and saw that the boat has arrived. It was a small, grey boat and on it was a cloak. The old man gave the cloak his name: Charlie. Charlie calmly went onto the boat and tried to enjoy the eerily quite ride. At the other side he made sure to get to death as quickly as his old legs could carry him. He had one last wish and he wanted it fulfilled immediately. Death turned around and saw the old man holding his black drapery. " What do you want?", asked death. "A wish" ,Charlie said right back. "I cannot give you any money, I cannot give you any success here. Go along." "Oh I do not want that", said Charlie. "I want to visit an old friend. The white owl." Death raised his brows in surprise "the white owl?". Charlie nodded. "Not the golden gate? Not the rainbow oasis? The white owl?". Charlie nodded violently. Death bowed in respect "This is a noble wish indeed. I shall grant it.". He proceeded to tell his minion to bring the man to the white owl. Before death let the old man go, however, death asked "did you ever get to talk with the white owl, while you were alive?" Charlie responded "no, no. that is impossible." Death nodded in agreement and let the old man go. Only here, after death could he finally see the owl. A very curious young man overheard the conversation of Charlie and death. He died of an illness and could not understand the monotonous place he was put in.
" What is the white owl?", he asked. Death scowled and looked at him angrily. "I see that you have never tried to reach a noble goal like this." "So the white owl is a goal." "A symbol", said death. "Representing what?", asked the curious one. "unlimited knowledge. Enlightenment. Understanding", said death. The ill man opened his eyes wider "something that can never be reached!". " Exactly" said death.

© 2018 aerchus


Author's Note

aerchus
You can say whatever you like. I appreciate any kind of feedback. I know that I'm not good, don't worry. English is only my second language after all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

76 Views
Added on April 21, 2018
Last Updated on April 21, 2018
Tags: #death, #life, #owl, #symbol, #symbolic, #wish, #short, #story

Author