SlapJack

SlapJack

A Story by Agyani
"

Another abnormal day in the life of a normal guy

"

 

“SlapJack strikes again!” Vipin hurries to squat next to Ranjit. The two read the news about the recently active ‘SlapJack’ of New Delhi - a white guy slapping pedestrians who cross roads without adhering to traffic norms and rules. He holds a Jack of Clubs in his slapping hand, which is often imprinted on the victims’ cheeks, inducting them into the Club of Jack.

The article transcribes various theories about the man: from being a B-grade vigilante to an overseas hippie. Cognoscenti and laity have more theories. He is all the rage among youngsters, who have even more theories.

“Now that’s a drive-by I would love to do!” says Vipin.

“Having him as your pillion rider and watching him slap heedless pedestrians?”

“Hell yeah! It’s their fault for sashaying through traffic with no regard for the safety of others. I wonder though, if his sudden movements would sway the bike more than when you adjust your bum.”

Ranjit pushes him in a friendly manner. “I thought you hate driving in traffic.”

“Who doesn’t? But yeah, that’s a strict no for me. Too bad you get to do so every day.”

“Not something I’m proud of,” says Ranjit, picking up his keys and helmet.

Business that day was quiet, and so Ranjit gets to leave before sunset. He still complains though, for the scorching sun, sultry air, and murderous traffic never fail to make him rail against the circumstances. Even his helmet sticks to his head as he manoeuvres his motorbike dexterously, slithering through narrow gaps between larger vehicles. He’s only able to breathe properly when traffic relaxes.

As he throttles, he notices a girl with white cotton sleeves on arms, handkerchief around the mouth; typical road travelling apparel during summers. Their eyes meet the next instant, and an arm with an erect thumb rises.  

The motorbike stops.

“Where are you headed?” asks the heat-annoyed driver.

“Rajouri Garden.”

Another arm with an erect thumb rises. Another rider mounts the motorbike.

It’s only a couple minutes later that Ranijt realizes the voice he heard earlier was masculine. Then he notices that the white sleeve on the arms behind him is actually white skin. Then he recalls the article he read. His brain is abuzz with connecting these dots, but the process is impeded by the sound of screeching tyres. He narrowly prevents his vehicle from connecting with the adjoining car.

He glares at the driver and accelerates, but his path is strewn with a group of youngsters, chatting and walking, paying no attention to traffic.

Tyres screech again. Ranjit accelerates again. But this time, the air is graced with two more sounds. The first is a string of profanities that spouts from Ranjit’s baby-face. The second is a loud bang, like a firecracker. More screeching tyres and profanities are heard behind him, and Ranjit knows why. The dots have been joined for him. He takes a deep breath to let it sink.

When he drops his co-rider, he shakes his hand.

“Big fan,” he struggles to say through stretched lips.

“Oh, wow. Thanks!”

Ranjit takes in the image of the man who’s as big as him, barring the extra fat. His eyes rest on a card protruding from his shirt pocket. The exalted stranger notices it, produces it, scribbles on it, and hands it to him. The grin doesn’t leave Ranjit’s face until he reaches home.

He notices Vipin returning from football training and almost runs him over in the parking lot.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” he roars, eyes bulging.

“The bike doesn’t sway an inch when he moves. He’s like an artist!”

Vipin reads what’s written on the card he’s handed.

‘Club of Jack �" 17

Friends of Jack �" 1’

His eyes grow larger, Ranjit’s smile grows wider.

 

 

     

© 2019 Agyani


Author's Note

Agyani
Did it make you smile?

There's more where that came from:
https://agyaniapproach.com/agyanis-stories/stories/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, it did make me smile. Your character description and dialogue is simple and easy to understand, but also rich with the character's own thumbprint. The way Vipin eagerly squats next to his friend and Ranjit's realization of the back passenger's identity. The way he plucked up the courage to admit he's a fan and hint at wanting a signature. And how we shouldn't be fooled by his childlike facial features because things get bad when he's angry and tired and stuck in traffic and he won't be silent about it.
And as for 'SlapJack'? Good one! I'm glad to be able to read your work again. Never stop writing.

~Aysha

Posted 3 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
I think I saw it on Instagram... I finally got to read this. You are a clever man who can tickle his readers with words.

Posted 4 Years Ago


I liked the rapport between the two friends. Is this an excerpt from a longer story? The story makes me curious about what being in the club of Jack means? Is it a fraternity, a cabal, a curiously chosen group that somehow bands together? Nice teaser.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Agyani

4 Years Ago

Haha, no no, this is a story in itself. So in the beginning the newspaper article says how there are.. read more
Ha I get so angry at those folks too! and the drivers that don't stop for crossings the worst is when i see them... drivers and walkers on there cells this makes me want to slap them silly. Love your character Ranjit

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Agyani

4 Years Ago

The urge to slap everyone on the road is too strong! Traffic really gets the worst out of everyone
Robert Trakofler

4 Years Ago

Very true but people that drive and text kill and injure people from pure thoughtlessness
Agyani

4 Years Ago

There are various kinds of driving and roadside callousness and stupidities we can list here.
.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 26, 2019
Last Updated on May 26, 2019
Tags: humour, babyfaceranjit, slapjack, traffic, heat, public servant, vigilante, cult hero, blog story

Author

Agyani
Agyani

India



About
A novelist by heart, but a freelance ghostwriter by necessity. It's only pen and paper (or my keyboard) that help me 'show' who I am and not just 'be' who I am. I am a storyteller and try to m.. more..

Writing
Year of the Dog Year of the Dog

A Story by Agyani



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..