The Commodore Hotel..by Michael

The Commodore Hotel..by Michael

A Story by Michael Reisman

In 1986 I made a reservation at The Commodore Hotel for July and August. It was upstate in the popular Catskill Mountains. My two suitcases sat on the single bed and were unpacked one at a time as things were put away. Then on that late morning, exhausted from the long drive I took a well needed nap. It lasted longer than expected as it was suddenly four o'clock in the afternoon. Dinner started at five so I took a quick shower and then looked in the closet for something to wear. Down the hall in another room she woke up from a nap that lasted longer than expected. After a quick shower she looked in her closet for something to wear. I noticed an envelope on a shelf just above the clothes that were hanging there. My name was the sender and a girl that I wrote to some twenty years before sat there in my hands. It was unopened, maybe intentionally, maybe just put aside and forgotten. A girl I once loved who stayed there during the summer of 1966 who never responded. It opened an old wound that never really healed and I cried at memory of losing her. She saw an envelope on a shelf just above the closet where her clothes were hanging. Her name was the sender and the boy she wrote to some twenty years before sat there in her hands. It was unopened, maybe intentionally, maybe just put aside and forgotten. It opened an old wound that never really healed and she cried at the memory of losing him. I went to dinner showing up a little late with an envelope inside a pocket of my jacket. It was random sitting at the tables as each guest picked where to sit. The lady next to me opened her pocketbook and took out an envelope and opened it for the first time. I didn't notice her doing that as I took one from my jacket pocket and did the same. Some people read out loud with voices they think when reading to themselves. Our names were mentioned and we looked at each other and stared. She handed hers to me and I handed mine to her. The dinning room was exceptionally quiet as other guests their heads in our direction. "I still love you", was spoken out loud when we stood up and kissed as the rest of the dinning room stood up with a round of applause. The following summer there was a wedding performed where reservations were made at The Commodore Hotel...
 
 
 
[email protected]

© 2015 Michael Reisman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on January 13, 2015
Last Updated on January 13, 2015

Author

Michael Reisman
Michael Reisman

Eastchester, NY



About
My new website is My new website is michaelsbooksofshortstories.godaddysites.com My email address is [email protected] more..

Writing