What Makes you Proud?

What Makes you Proud?

A Poem by matpat

What makes you proud to be an American?

Is it that you can raise your children in a free country?

Is it the fact that you can go to any church you want?

Are you proud to be an American because we're wild and wreck less?

Are you proud to be an American because there is always a spark that lights our eyes as we say the pledge of allegiance?

That people have risked their lives for our freedom?

What makes you proud?

© 2015 matpat


Author's Note

matpat
What makes you proud to be an American? please tell because I am doing some research and would like to know.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The freedom to explore and create.
The research for a cure of cancer and
other maladies. The concern for clean rivers
and clean drinking water... the environment.
The chance for everyone, especially, the young
to be better educated to help our country to be a
safe place to live in every way. Amen...


Posted 8 Years Ago


matpat

8 Years Ago

Sing it!! Thank you for the review!
Despite our problems, we Americans still live in the best country in the world. Something as simple as this: FB friend in Pakistan & I text often, but at a certain time each evening, all the electricity goes out in a fairly major city there, every day of the year, it's called "load sharing." And we think we're inconvenienced if the electricity goes out once or twice a year. There are millions of similar examples. I really love your poem. I like that it's a series of posed questions, thus forcing the reader to participate. I think you've chosen your items well, but then also, these are pretty basic, taken-for-granted items that are always talked about, when the greatness of our country is discussed. It would be nice to see you dig a little deeper, name some things that some people might not know about, such as me not realizing that major developed countries don't have electricity continuously! Just a thought. Your poem is great whether you change it or not. Thanks for making people think.

Posted 8 Years Ago


matpat

8 Years Ago

That is such a good tip, thank you so much!
USA is a place where all cultures try to get along. I live in Detroit. Every kind of people and we do our best to be friends and neighbors. USA isn't perfect. Still best place to live. I saw the bad places. I like this poem. Best poetry does ask questions.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


I went to New York and Los Angeles and I saw a lot of good people living and working, I observed them bussling in the streets pursuing ordinary lives. It seemed in some ways to be adding up to a lot of benefits for a tiny minority of people behind some locked doors in Uptown Manhattan and the LA hills, not equally much benefit for anyone else. I also felt in LA in particular that the land belonged to the desert. The society seemed to be having difficulty holding on in an unstable environment. There was a large latin influence that was subtly dominating. It felt as if this could take over at any time. I'm not sure what kind of America this belonged to. It seemed there was a future for the American dream, but it certainly didn't lie with the establishment. It didn't lie with their tea party rivals either. I felt like there was another multicultural dream that was being suppressed.

Posted 8 Years Ago


matpat

8 Years Ago

I think it's the wars that have brought the American spirit out in all of us, thanks for the review!
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
As Bear stated below, I also really wonder why no one except one person answered your questions. Unfortunately, I cannot answer them, either because I am not American but I think you're questions are worth to think about and it would be interesting for other people to read their (the Am people) replys/thoughts about their own country.
So thanks to Bear for answering, too. ;)

Posted 8 Years Ago


matpat

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much, a lot of people don't really think about things like this and no one really stops.. read more
I wonder why none of the 70 who have viewed this already failed to respond to you question? It can't be that they were all from someplace else, or that they didn't have an answer. It couldn't be that they are afraid to speak their mind because we have that right. It can't be that they don't understand the question because we have a good educational system. Come to think of it I can't think of a good reason why they chose to just ignore the question other than they have that right. So I guess in their own silent way they have answered your question, but it was in a pretty lousy way. I am proud to be an American because I am a writer, I have the right to write about anything I chose and in any format that pleases me, even if it is to degrade America.

Posted 8 Years Ago


matpat

8 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

355 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on April 24, 2015
Last Updated on April 24, 2015

Author

matpat
matpat

gilbert, AZ



About
I like my choices... I hope you like yours -the fault in our stars You still have a lot of time in this world to be what you want to be. there's still good in this world. -the outsiders Someti.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by matpat


Seale Seale

A Book by matpat


My Opinion My Opinion

A Poem by matpat



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..