Schadenfreude

Schadenfreude

A Poem by Andrew John

That wind so wild can cause those wooden limbs to shake from side to side as though to slap a face. It is worth watching through your window feeling the weird warmth within, while witnessing another's violence, as viewing a movie. How vain do you feel inside seeing the outside wind and rain? Have you watched a ring fight, heard the punches with leathern fists on a face that takes chastisement that you and your fellows cannot feel on your own flesh, without or within?

Have you seen or known of the past
of rockets, guns, arrows, swords, spears, pain, death,
been sheltered by your country, your land, your home,
felt warmed, protected, on your flesh, in your core? And how did your ancestors watch and hear an agonising burning at the stake or crucifixion? How unworldly is that hideous view that can of course, from such a small distance, generate a weird warmth within. (April 2022)

© 2023 Andrew John


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

An interesting write here Andrew. I abhor violence. I am one of those who can't and won't watch it. I leave the room if I sense anything nasty is about to happen, especially if it involves flashing steel. Swords and knives terrify me. I often think I have lived before in the middle ages and died a violent death. My grandkids smile at me and give me warnings of what's about to come. How anyone could watch violence for entertainment is beyond me.

Well crafted poetry and thought provoking with it. Have a good Monday.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


Andrew John

1 Year Ago

Thank you so much for the comment, Chris. I find myself closing my eyes now and again while staring .. read more
Chris Shaw

1 Year Ago

I had to stop as we are boating and we're approaching a lock. I returned to add a final sentence And.. read more
A thought-provoking write. Many people seem to like to witness a violent spectacle... just as long as they are not on the receiving end of that violence!

Posted 1 Year Ago


An interesting look here, attended by vivid imagery, of the human fascination with violence. Sports like boxing, MMA, football, etc. do seem to derive their popularity due to the contact aspect. Public hangings used to attract big crowds. I don't know about crucifixions. Maybe if they sold beer and chili dogs.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Andrew John

1 Year Ago

John the B, I did add what is the 3rd stanza here now. I felt it needed this linking of history from.. read more
John the Baptist

1 Year Ago

I don't think the new verse would fly in Ukraine.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
3 Reviews
Added on April 19, 2022
Last Updated on May 23, 2023
Tags: punish, violence, ring fight, chastisement, crucifixion

Author

Andrew John
Andrew John

Carmarthen, Wales, United Kingdom



About
Live in Carmarthen, Wales more..

Writing