The Spectacular Speech: Five Things You Need

The Spectacular Speech: Five Things You Need

A Story by A.J. Thompson
"

An article on five crucial things you need to give an awesome speech.

"

The Spectacular Speech: Five Things You Need


            Time and time again writers and laymen alike have considered, “What exactly does it take to write a great speech?” One would be baffled in counting the multitude of different pieces commenting on the ‘envision your audience in their underwear’ technique, and that’s great, but how exactly can you connect with your audience, deliver a profound message and, overall, give an awesome speech? I’m not sure about you, but standing in a room envisioning my audience in their undergarments would probably make me more nervous than I was when I walked in. So let’s take a bit of a different look at the issue.

            If speaking in front of others does make you nervous, remember, it is completely natural. What if you stutter? What if, what if, what if… However, rather than pondering the myriad of mishaps that could occur, I say, “So what?” You are human. You are a human speaking to a room full of other humans. There is no real reason to be nervous other than the one you create in your own mind, inevitably “psyching yourself out.” This brings me to my first point.


Confidence

            Confidence, as they say, is key when you want to deliver a spectacular speech. I’m not talking about the type of false confidence one may feel when, for example, one envisions their listeners half-naked. By all means, employ any technique or trick that you honestly feel helps you. However, I’m talking about true confidence. Be yourself, and most of all, be authentic. It’s never a nice experience to be “sold” something by a speaker.

You want to come across as you, the real you. Having the confidence that you are good enough to give your listeners the information that you want to give them is absolutely necessary to giving a great speech. This type of real confidence will allow you to give your speech a nice, natural ebb and flow. It will prevent you from stuttering or stumbling over your words or worrying about whether you look nervous or whether your tie is straight. It will allow you to show your real self to your audience.


Creativity

Being creative is one of those things that everyone can do. Everyone has a creative side, no matter how big or small. Creativity comes into play when you’re being yourself. If you’re giving a speech, someone has probably covered that topic before. So put a different spin on an old topic, and maybe use that spin to “segway” into a completely new one. Understand that you need to keep your audience’s interest, so getting innovative in your approach can be a massive help. Don’t be afraid to get creative in writing your speech, this will show in your delivery as well. Be human! You’re not a computer spitting out data to be read and analyzed by other computers. However, you do need information.


Information

            It is always good to present some numbers and hard facts. You don’t want to overload the listener, don’t make your speech into a statistics seminar, but give them something to think about. Providing this sort of hard data can allow your audience to “plant their feet” into something and give them a basis from which they can understand the position or point you’re presenting. This allows you to give your listener the feeling that you know what you’re talking about. It shows them that you are informed and that you have something important to say. It also lets the audience think about things in their own way, or take a different look at something you’re discussing.


Speculation

            Giving your audience information allows them to speculate. No one wants to be forced into thinking about something in one way, and it’s possible that not everyone in your audience wants to hear exactly what you’re talking about. So it is good to offer up different questions or viewpoints while giving your speech. Show the audience that you are looking at the issue or topic from multiple angles, that your view is dynamic and open to new information. Be firm in what you’re saying, but remember to consider different possibilities. It may even be a good idea to ask your audience questions, rhetorical or otherwise. Not only do you need to provide your audience with information, have some information about your audience.


Conclusion

            Giving your speech a smooth, fitting conclusion is like putting a nice bow on a wrapped present. Not only does it give your overall idea a good presentation, it allows your listeners to feel “concluded” or satisfied about the topic you discussed. Whether or not they have formed an opinion of their own, you’ve delivered a nice summary of the ideas you have talked about and have given them a nice little “gift” to walk away with.

Writing, and delivering, a spectacular speech is certainly no easy task. But you must have confidence in yourself and be as authentic as possible in giving whatever message you’re trying to get across. Providing the listener with just enough information to allow them to form their own opinion, or see things from their perspective, is key. Finally, wrap the speech up nicely with a big, red bow, give your listener something to leave with. Next time you need to give a speech, don’t view it as some daunting, terrifying task, just keep calm and remember these five points.

 

 

© 2014 A.J. Thompson


Author's Note

A.J. Thompson
This is an article I plan to put in my portfolio for when I begin freelance writing. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or edits/revisions. I am hoping this is good!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well written piece AJ.
May I add a suggestion to yours?

I do a lot of speaking and attend a lot of seminars.
For me the key is knowledge and authenticity. The authenticity you either have or you don't.
It comes from knowing what the hell you're talking about and sharing personal anecdotes to illustrate your key messages and back up that you know what the hell you are talking about.

That's just my experience though.

I've found audience engagement helps as well, ask a few questions like 'why do you think the earth is round' or 'when do you think is a good time to celebrate Christmas'. Obviously these should be relevant to your discussion topic and will help to anchor interest and keep attention instead of having your audience feel like they are just being talked at.



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.J. Thompson

9 Years Ago

I felt like I covered this in "be yourself" and "speculate..." are you suggesting that I expand on t.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

I must have missed the part about the personal anecdotes. Oops!
:)



Reviews

I came to read this thinking it was going to be a story in were concept, characthers, dialogue and structure would hav fitted in. To my surprise it wasn't. Quite the exposition instead but then out of pure luck, I guess I would venture isn't that what's missing? I thikn you covered demagogy well, yet most politicians use it and abuse it. In fact I would even go down the road of most speeches are domagogical because they are written in order to obtain something. So the good ones are them which cover demography and those who can feel the popular issues floating about in people I guess that would fall under anthropology seeing that it is the study of Man. In fact so much so that most speeches are written by a group of writers that are well versed in lyrical prose.

Refreshing suprise here.

Thankyou

Posted 9 Years Ago


This is outstanding advice!! Well written and touches on the basic aspects of good public speaking. I'm going to reference it as I work on my stand up comedy monologue........yep you heard right. I'm doing it!!!

Great Job man!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.J. Thompson

9 Years Ago

Haha I hope it was helpful! thanks for reading and for reviewing!
Brilliant, just brilliant... Very inspiring work you have here....

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.J. Thompson

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Well written piece AJ.
May I add a suggestion to yours?

I do a lot of speaking and attend a lot of seminars.
For me the key is knowledge and authenticity. The authenticity you either have or you don't.
It comes from knowing what the hell you're talking about and sharing personal anecdotes to illustrate your key messages and back up that you know what the hell you are talking about.

That's just my experience though.

I've found audience engagement helps as well, ask a few questions like 'why do you think the earth is round' or 'when do you think is a good time to celebrate Christmas'. Obviously these should be relevant to your discussion topic and will help to anchor interest and keep attention instead of having your audience feel like they are just being talked at.



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.J. Thompson

9 Years Ago

I felt like I covered this in "be yourself" and "speculate..." are you suggesting that I expand on t.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

I must have missed the part about the personal anecdotes. Oops!
:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

288 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 4, 2014
Last Updated on December 4, 2014
Tags: speech, speechwriting, nonfiction, speaking

Author

A.J. Thompson
A.J. Thompson

Cleveland, OH



About
A 21 year old writer aspiring to be a successful freelance journalist. more..

Writing
Tied Tied

A Story by A.J. Thompson



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


heartburn heartburn

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson


Pagan Pagan

A Poem by ANM