Just Beyond the Emptiness

Just Beyond the Emptiness

A Story by AK
"

Faith related so be careful with this one...

"

 

Kind of a solemn day for me somehow. Nothing particularly wrong really, just one of those days. Actually I've been thinking about one of the folks I work with.
Last hitch we had a brief conversation and this person seemed really depressed. They were leaving on R and R right away so I didn't have a chance to follow up and it's been bugging me for three weeks. I went to see the person today to make sure they were okay. I told them I just wanted to check because they seemed a little down last time we talked. They remembered the conversation and agreed it had been a rough couple of days but all was well now. I'm not convinced, but I'm glad I checked.
 
I think a lot of people have grown accustomed to ignoring those "hunches" because the common sentiment nowadays is that it's best to not get involved. I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy. Mind you, I have no formal training nor do I have a clue what I would have done if this person would have wanted to talk today. But I'm not sure that really matters.
I wrote a piece not long ago called "Sometimes The Words Don't Matter" and it talks about the willingness to get involved. So many times it just helps to know someone cares. We have a custom at church that if you feel a burden for someone it's okay to quietly go pray with them at the appropriate time. That usually happens after the teaching or preaching, during the altar service. Everyone finds their place at our wonderfully long altar and each one spends a little quality time with Him. This is usually the time when folks pray together if they feel to. I've been on both sides of this type of prayer and I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing more encouraging and helpful than having someone who cares for you kneel next to you and take up some of your load. You need not ever discuss whatever the problem or situation is, sometimes you never even really know. Or sometimes God will show you exactly what's wrong. But either way, when God puts that feeling on your heart to pray with someone it is for a reason and it always makes a difference if you will act upon it.
From the receiving person's standpoint you often don't even know who has come to pray with you. When you are in prayer it truly is a communion with God and when you make that connection you seldom worry about who is near you. Sometimes He just sort of catches you up and you forget about everything else anyway, for a little while at least.
 
The most common reason people won't get involved is that they "didn't know what to say". The whole point though is that you really don't have to say very much to let someone know you are feeling their pain, or their joy for that matter. Sometimes you don't have to say a word. At the altar that is often the case.
 
A few months ago I felt that unmistakable feeling to go pray with an old friend during our Friday night prayer service. I went to her side and it was truly remarkable as we knelt together for a few moments. I felt exactly what she was feeling, just for that brief time. When I knew it was time to leave her I quietly got up and went to the back of the sanctuary. I stood there for a few minutes near the window watching the snow gently fall as I listened to the beautiful sound of others in prayer. My friend came to me and we embraced for a moment, two friends sharing the Spirit of God. As we wept together again I told her what I had felt during our prayer. She could only nod her head and squeeze my hand.
 
Why all the tears and crying some people ask? All I can tell you is that when you stand in the presence of God, absolutely immersed in His love and gentle power, the tears will flood your eyes as you feel the most beautiful and pure love wash over your soul. It's always like that with Him. I cherish those times at the altar, whether all alone late at night or with many others gathered in one mind and accord.
 
Now don't get me wrong, meaningful prayer is not reserved for the sanctuary of the church building. Even here on Alaska's remote North Slope He will come to spend time in that same gentle and precious way that I have learned to depend upon. Usually it's in my room in the evening after work.  Many of the songs I've written are the result of those evenings spent alone with Him. But it's easier in church when you are gathered with scores of other people who feel exactly as you do and God is walking freely in your midst. It is truly a remarkable experience that bonds people in a unity that cannot be described in mere words. Sort of like "The Matrix"... you can't be told what it is, you have to see it.
 
It's so important to me that you guys know how real God truly is, still today. Even in this fast-paced, politically correct, cutting edge, anything goes, free will society... God is exactly the same as He was on the Day of Pentecost. His Spirit is still as tangible and real as recorded in the Second Chapter of the Book of Acts in the New Testament on the very day the Christian church began. It's not about tradition or denomination or heritage. It's just about truth and the plain and simple Word of God. That hasn't changed. It never will. And neither has He changed His desire and perfect plan for each of us if we will only ask.
 
The point of all this is that you truly can have a meaningful day-to-day relationship with God. You don't have to take anybody's word for it. You don't have to trust anyone else for your salvation. You can go directly to the throne of God and ask Him yourself.
 
I suspect we are very much alike, you and me. I still remember the burning hunger for the truth that led me at last to understand who He is. I knew there had to be more just beyond the emptiness...
 

© 2009 AK


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dale, again you have wooed me with your gentle words and your love for the Lord. It is so evident.

I would agree that there are times we don't get involved because we don't know what to say, but I say-take every opportunity! That is often the case when someone is going through a horrible tragedy. We are so afraid we will say the wrong thing. That was the case with my mother's suicide. There were some that did say the wrong thing, but you know....I think I actually respect those more than the ones that stayed in the background. The loneliness one feels in a similar situation when everyone stays away because they don't know what to say, can be excruciating; much more painful than someone coming to your side and just being there. Sometimes just knowing someone is there even if they don't say a WORD is incredibly comforting.

I love this:

Why all the tears and crying some people ask? All I can tell you is that when you stand in the presence of God, absolutely immersed in His love and gentle power, the tears will flood your eyes as you feel the most beautiful and pure love wash over your soul. It's always like that with Him. I cherish those times at the altar, whether all alone late at night or with many others gathered in one mind and accord.

Ah the tears...they are such a good thing and the healing properties in salt is evidence that our all sufficient God knew what he was doing when he created such a marvelous way to be cleansed and to release pent up emotions....A good cry is amazing!

Thank you for gracing the Cafe once again, my friend.

Hugs, Carole



Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is written with a gentle and compelling voice that beckons your reader to come. Much like your Savior would. You have done HIm proud here I think. I've experienced both sides of the alter as well, many times. You have described it beautifully here. I kind of feel inspired to do the same on this subject from perhaps a little different perspective but I don't think it will come close to what you have achieved. A well done heartfelt piece of writing here.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow! You've said it so wonderfully! What a world it would be if more of us gave into God moving thru us...
God leads me to your page when he has something for me. And again, thanks for the encouragement.
God Bless

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I love this! Wow! So heartfelt and needed! I felt humbled as I read it....I can't tell you why. As well as a longing to be in a church like that. My mom and I have searched for a church for months - can't seem to find the right one. You are BLESSED!

I wish more people would read this simple message of God's love.
Thank you......

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Oh! WHat a beautiful piece of writing it is....
We all face certain situations like this in our life, so I can relate myself with it...
Great work :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I remember the first time I knew someone needed my help. He was a stranger, in an airport and it was pretty late at night. The look in his eyes spoke volumes. He needed someone to extend a hand or a kind word. And I couldn't get past social norms to approach him. I've always regretted that.

Now I know that the words will come and that sometimes it isn't really about the words anyway.

There is no doubt in my mind that if your co-worker had still been struggling and looked to you for help, you would have been right there. A friend and soldier in the fight.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

wow, for an ex welder this is pretty deep. Thank you for your recent review. I mentioned another site, which I joined only because it is part of an e-magazine and there were some other cafe-ites there. It certainly isn't the cafe...and you are never second rate in my book, as evidenced by your write above. For someone who struggles with her own relationship with God - I found this piece affirming. When we write using the Holy Spirit as our filter and the heart as our audience the result is so much purer. Nice work, AK.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Dale, again you have wooed me with your gentle words and your love for the Lord. It is so evident.

I would agree that there are times we don't get involved because we don't know what to say, but I say-take every opportunity! That is often the case when someone is going through a horrible tragedy. We are so afraid we will say the wrong thing. That was the case with my mother's suicide. There were some that did say the wrong thing, but you know....I think I actually respect those more than the ones that stayed in the background. The loneliness one feels in a similar situation when everyone stays away because they don't know what to say, can be excruciating; much more painful than someone coming to your side and just being there. Sometimes just knowing someone is there even if they don't say a WORD is incredibly comforting.

I love this:

Why all the tears and crying some people ask? All I can tell you is that when you stand in the presence of God, absolutely immersed in His love and gentle power, the tears will flood your eyes as you feel the most beautiful and pure love wash over your soul. It's always like that with Him. I cherish those times at the altar, whether all alone late at night or with many others gathered in one mind and accord.

Ah the tears...they are such a good thing and the healing properties in salt is evidence that our all sufficient God knew what he was doing when he created such a marvelous way to be cleansed and to release pent up emotions....A good cry is amazing!

Thank you for gracing the Cafe once again, my friend.

Hugs, Carole



Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

745 Views
7 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 20, 2009
Last Updated on August 23, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK