Just One

Just One

A Poem by AK

Don’t you want to write something truly amazing?


Just one piece that really matters? One something that touches people and makes them laugh and cry and think about how great it is to be alive. One simple story or poem or whatever that people will pass around from friend to friend.


Something that folks will print and stick up on the fridge. They’ll send it to their mother-in-law and their life-long friend from school. They’ll email it to their spouse at work and put a neatly folded copy in their Bible. Maybe they’ll laminate it in that clear plastic stuff so it will be impervious to spilled coffee and spaghetti sauce. They’ll put a copy up on the bulletin board at work or school or church. They’ll give a copy to their sister and their Pastor and their boss. They’ll read it aloud to their mom at the assisted living center on Saturday and she’ll ask what was just said.   

 

Every now and then you’ll click on it at the Café and re-read it to make sure it’s still awesomely good. And you’ll want to feature it way too often in the hopes that someone who knows someone who knows a publisher will send it to them and they will contact you to ask if they can put it in their upcoming special edition showcasing new and emerging talent.

 

Yeah… that’s what I want to write… something like that.


Not just to get published particularly… but more... to touch the hearts of people just for the caring.


We want others to know there is hope and faith and promise that it will get better. We want others to be encouraged or forgiven or hopeful. We especially want everyone to refuse to give up on their faith in spite of what the status quo or the currently stylish PC trend may be.


We want single moms to believe there is someone who will gently love and care for them and we want young friends to trust that America will survive this incredible mess we're in regardless of who they intended to vote for in the last election.

 

And I want one person in particular to know how much they mean to me, regardless of distance or goals or tribulation or economics or politics or anxiety or dreams gone askew.

 

But more than all that I want you all to know that your gift matters and that you simply must use it to make a difference. Use your abilities to lend a hand up, offer a bit of hope, let someone know you love them.


Write about what can be and the good that is. Let your words encourage and uplift and strengthen. Let those who are hungry for hope know that it still exists. Write about the power of being human and the greater power in knowing we are only that.


Write about tomorrow to help us all get through today.

© 2010 AK


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh, Dale!!!! Your words are always worth reading. But these, in particular, touch my heart in a very real way today. It is the reason that we found ourselves in this place to begin with. We want to share, to touch, to soften, to love. It's why we hang around when we get frustrated with the mechanics of an online world. These are words I can come back to and often. Thank you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I just read this and cried. I cried because I read in a friend profile that you and your wife had passed. And these words are your final words, and they are great words to leave behind for us aspiring writers. Thank you AK. Say hi to Jesus for me by the way. As I look at your main page, I see what a beautiful life you had, how you traveled, and how you saw the beauty in the life that God gave you. I have had a hard time seeing the beauty in things recently, but no one would know that I'm struggling with that because there is usually a smile on my face when people see me. But Jesus, who is my friend like no other, knew I needed a fresh perspective, brought me to this site, "just to see friends writings" and to my surprise I saw through my friend J.Hampton that you had passed, and so here I am writing you this review, which is more than a review. Finally, I will take these last words of yours and post them on my blog as a way to honor you and your wife(I will not take credit of course) Thank you for taking my hearts desire and putting it on paper, it made a difference to me like you wouldn't believe.

In Christ,

Melba

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
wonderfully upbeat and insightful..oh to write a piece that transcends the person and becomes a standalone work..known just for being a good piece..

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My father recently told me after watching spongbob with the kids, "I really like that spongebob, he doesnt let much bother him and if he wants to do something he just does it." With that said I think posting his pic with this write was so appropriate and charming.
Thank you for the inspiration and putting a smile on my face while I face today.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was excellent- I know that I have always wanted to write that one piece, and for a while, I sometimes feel that I have. Then I look back at it a bit later, and realize I'm wrong. :)

But- this was great. I especially loved the end.
Nice write.

-Coral-

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
well d, it took me 10 minutes to get here ~ some things ever remain the same ...

regardless, it's about time!! new words from you .... your heart set about the page: an altruistic wish for humanity ... you are somethin else, hun. for me, there is nothing like a stream-of-consciousness, close-the-eyes-and-type kinda write that touches the places that secret away in dark places . . . to stir crippled fingers and rethink misdirected beliefs.

"your gift matters" truly. you are a gift.

love
j

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
You are a very inspiring writer. I like yoru honesty and realness of words.
This is a lovely write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I try to only share the light that I see, because I've lived too much in the darkness. My calendar said today "You have possibilities--a gift that is only offered to the living on this earth." it is attributed to Thomas Kinkade. Beautiful words that I find echoed in your writing here. There are so many light-filled possibilities if we listen to the true words.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, Dale!!!! Your words are always worth reading. But these, in particular, touch my heart in a very real way today. It is the reason that we found ourselves in this place to begin with. We want to share, to touch, to soften, to love. It's why we hang around when we get frustrated with the mechanics of an online world. These are words I can come back to and often. Thank you.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Indeed ...
I must agree emotional merit far outweighs...technical ,mechanical merit or marketability...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

734 Views
9 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 7, 2010
Last Updated on September 7, 2010

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK


Thank you JK Harris Thank you JK Harris

A Story by AK