CHANCE IS A FINE THING?

CHANCE IS A FINE THING?

A Story by alanwgraham
"

Would you decide your future by the toss of a coin?

"

Chance is a fine thing?


I bumped into Will outside the town hall.

‘Hi Al, I’m just back!’ Will exclaimed.

‘Great to see you Will, how was the North Sea this time?’  

‘Same as it was last time - cold and wet.’

‘Very witty Will, at least you’re making good money.’

‘Come on Al, we’ll have a couple in the ‘C**k and Bull.’

‘Now you’re talking Will - good to see you!’ I gave him a slightly embarrassing ‘manhug’.


A few minutes later we were sat in the comfy but faded corner seats of our old regular. We’d survived a few drunken adventures in here and Betty was still the no-nonsense queen of the ‘C**k’.

‘What will it be today for you two rascals?’

‘We’ll stick with two pints of Guinness, Betty.’

After a long swallow I turned to Will. ‘No joking now pal, how was it?’ Will pulled a face as if he had just stepped on dog s**t.

 ‘Christ, that bad.’


 ‘You know Al, six weeks offshore couped up, working all the hours, then six back at Liz’s beck and call. Anyway, sorry to be so negative. How are you doing?  I always think you’ve got it made - steady job and no wife to boss you about. Sounds like bliss to me.’

 ‘You know what they say, Will, about the grass being greener. To tell you the truth I’m really pissed off with life. I’ve come up with a plan.’

‘A cunning plan, perchance?’ We laughed. ‘You better not be suggesting a life swap Al.’

‘No bloody way Will, f*** the North sea - you know I get seasick on the pedalo’s at Blackpool. I need some excitement in my life. It’s just too predictable - same thing, same time - every bloody day.’


‘Yeah, I know what you mean Al but don’t we need some predictability to stop us cracking up.’

‘Maybe that’s safer Will, but who ever achieved anything on their hamster wheel. I’ve decided I’m going to go for it. You know how life is made up of choices - what about if we leave the choice to a toss of the coin. When you come to a decision point you toss the dice. The road goes left or right - toss the coin, heads you go left, tails go right.’

‘You can’t be serious, Al.’ Will scoffed.

‘I’m going to start right now Will - here we go, heads we have another pint.’

‘Heads it is - I’m going to like this! You have to toss too Will!’

Five heads later for me, five tails for Will.

‘I’m f***ing pissed Will - how’s that lemonade?’ 

‘F***  you!’

 

‘How about heading out for some fun now - you’d better drive Will.’

‘Ok Al, I’ll drive - you toss - once a tosser always a tosser, eh! Just remember Al, heads we go left, tails right.’

Four tails later we were back at the C**k and Bull. ‘

Sitting back in our still warm corner seat I turned to Will. ‘We better rethink this Will. Chance is a funny thing isn’t it. It’s not going to work out if we both toss the penny is it?


‘You’ll have to count me out Al, Penny will kill me if I turn up pissed.’ 

‘Ha, bl**dy ha, you chicken. No problems Will - you just go home and let your good wife plan your every move. Who needs a coin to toss when you have a wife.’’

Will laughed then replied, ‘when you think about it Al you’re letting the coin plan your every move.’

‘Yeah, but the whole point is, I’m not having to make the decision.’


‘Before you go Will let’s just try this - I’ll toss - if it comes up heads, I’ll ask Betty to come back to sleep with me tonight. Here goes - oh f***, its heads.’

‘Go on then Al, ask her.’

Will watched as I went to the bar, exchanged a few words with Betty who then slapped me hard across the face.

I went back massaging my jaw.

‘That went well Al!’

 ‘Actually I quite enjoyed it Will! She’s bloody strong - it’s all that pulling pints! She’ll say yes next time, once she’s had time to think about how irresistible I am.’


‘I’m heading off now Will for my big adventure. Are you sure you’re not up for it?’

‘No - my mind’s made up.  Good luck Al - but the thing I don’t understand is, when do you toss the coin?’

‘Ah - good point Will. I know what, if I can’t decide I can toss the coin to decide.’ I could see Will looking at me with a ‘you’re mad’ look.


I stepped outside, waved to Will, feeling a mixture of trepidation and excitement.

I stood for some time on the pavement, almost in a transcendental state. My great adventure, my Everest, my South Pole, was about to begin.  I took out my penny, and with my future full of the uncertainty of random chance I tossed it.  Heads it is! I took a step forward to cross the road to the Casino opposite.


Unfortunately I did not see the bus and the bus driver did not see me!


Now, some might have said that chance was indeed a fine thing!

 

© 2018 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I do love a twist at the end Alan and this story had that. Could I live my life by a toss of a coin? No way, I am a control freak. I have to make my own decisions. I enjoyed the read, your characters were strong and believable. The ending, I didn't see coming. Well done Alan.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Ta Chris. The thing is that we're never in control, tossed this way and that by the storms of life!<.. read more



Reviews

Wow...I did not see that ending coming. That was a major twist in the plot. This was a wonderful story :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this Emily. Glad you enjoyed. I wrote it for fun but I had planned to take some l.. read more
Faust

5 Years Ago

I agree. Life is too short and not meant to be gambled :)
Great ending. Not in a bad way though.
How you can change the world sat in a bar.
It really is how every major decision should be made.
Especially when you wake up the next morning to the words.
You'll never believe what just happened.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Paul. Life seems like a lottery. Just take care when you are crossing the road and go easy on.. read more
You sure can tell em my friend.. I firmly believe that life is about choices and risks.. the problem is, almost universally, folk are far too hung up on the idea of risk and risk taking as being negative.. I may one day be tempted to post my own treatise on risk and chance etc... I'm not a betting bloke but I do understand the appeal, I just like the feel of that coin in me pocket... As always, thoroughly enjoyed Alan... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Ta Neville for reading this bit of nonsense. Of course you right in saying that we should embrace ri.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

My sincere pleasure Alan... N
Alan - I guess there is something positive to be said about having someone, like a wife - telling you - guiding you - through lifes' twists and turns. Then again - one might luck out and the bus will miss them.

Take care - Dave

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Dave. The funny thing is that you often feel that you are tossing a coin. Life is inherently .. read more
Sounds like not such a fine thing, after all.
On the bright side, Al (you, I assume) survived to tell the tale! How fortunate for all of us.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this Angel. Life is a gamble and you never know whats going to happen next. You'.. read more
angel

5 Years Ago

I'm not, but I'm married to one, which is nearly as bad!
Carpe deadum I think! Excellent Tale of the Unexpected.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Ken. It was meant to be more a serious look at decision making but the humour took over. It i.. read more
This is one of your most "well-balanced" stories! Sometimes you can be rather technical & detailed & "out there" . . . but other times you can be downright friendly & conversational & relevant. This story has the best of both these tendencies. Many excellent twisted concepts: "slightly embarrassing man-hug" . . . " face like stepping on dog s**t" . . . going for a drive & 4 tails later, back at the C**k & Bull (great name). This is just full of bright playful imagination & the ending twist was totally unexpected! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Great Margie and thanks. It was fun writing this and I'm afraid it may have rubbed off - I nearly to.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

I'm done computering, I'm going out to garden . . . shall I plant daisies or succulents? *smile*
Ouch! :)
And here was me thinking that he was on his way to fortune and glory. ^Typical. :)
Great tale Alan. Brilliant twist. Never saw it coming either.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Lorry. I was planning to make more of it but life is too short! Come to think of it the bus i.. read more
Completely awesome poem. I love how you kept me interested all the way to the end and even beyond that if it had been longer. Extremely creative, had a nice flow to it, became very focused at times which helped me focus and just an excellent effort and thank you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind review Kaia. The story was meant to get us thinking about how make decisions bu.. read more
I do love a twist at the end Alan and this story had that. Could I live my life by a toss of a coin? No way, I am a control freak. I have to make my own decisions. I enjoyed the read, your characters were strong and believable. The ending, I didn't see coming. Well done Alan.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Ta Chris. The thing is that we're never in control, tossed this way and that by the storms of life!<.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

680 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 30, 2018
Last Updated on August 30, 2018

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..