A Day In The Life

A Day In The Life

A Story by alanwgraham
"

A description of a typical day in my life.

"

A day in the life …..


I sleep, I dream ......

Woke at 4am and staggered to the loo - a combination of early light and late night coffee. Mandy then woke and followed me to loo. Fell asleep after some tossing and turning.


Woke again at 7am - looked at latest news from Guardian on tablet  (Trump being even more vile and Boris avoiding scrutiny) and checked emails - deleted rubbish and read some reviews on Writers café - sent thanks.

Dragged myself out of bed, ankles and knees sore but soon loosened up. Dressed - great forecast, sun, 20C - so shorts and T shirt.


Breakfast with Mandy, I have a large bowl of Muesli and tea.  Got backpack ready - along with headphones and phone, packed ‘The Magus’ by John Fowles (a tough 650 pages) but worthwhile read for my book-group last night) to return to library.


Said goodbye to Mandy and wandered out before 9am - quick look at my veggie garden - discovered pesky blackfly on beans! Had to walk down to far bus-stop as our road is being resurfaced. Caught up with old John on way to catch bus for gym session (he’s 86). We chatted and slightly alarmed when he said he felt bit wobbly - recently I waited with him at the bus stop for an ambulance after he collapsed. He decided to carry on. Bus arrived at 9.09. Chatted to our friendly driver briefly (Lesley Ann) then browsed on my phone for the 20min journey.


Today I was going to the ‘Walk-On’ group in the Glenrothes library at 10.15 so I decided to while away the time in Wetherspoons restaurant (1.30 for coffee and free refills). Said hello to one or two familiar faces - a real mixture of folk here - learning disabled with carers, couples, loners, ladies groups, tables of unhealthy looking older men already drinking pints.


I left about 10am and passed empty shop units and the crumbling exterior of the 60’s shopping centre. Entering by the stairs the inside shop units stretch a half mile to the library at the far end. I popped into a charity shop to tell them I didn’t need the book that they had set aside for me (for my brothers birthday - he’d read it). Further on I met Jim, our former solicitor, who hasn’t been keeping too well and we chatted briefly. Being the school holidays it was busy but I’m always aware of many overweight and unhealthy folk.


Up at the library I returned my book and joined the group of about a dozen retirees (mainly female) waiting to start the walk. As we chatted, the roll call was passed round to sign and young librarian Sarah (former pupil at my school) explained she was on her own and needed a tail ender. We discussed the two pedestrians that had been knocked down and died in the town a few days ago. Setting off on one of our regular routes we were extra careful at the road crossings. After only a few minutes we passed a man of around sixty hanging over a metal barrier and retching. I stopped to see if he was OK and Sarah joined me. After spending a few minutes speaking to him we decided to phone for an ambulance. He, Michael, was clutching his chest but I began to suspect it might be a mental health/anxiety problem. A nurse pulled up and joined us. I volunteered to wait with him and let the others continue the walk. After a short time the ambulance came but went up the wrong street so I raced across to direct them. After a brief interrogation with Michael they took him away but he insisted on thanking us before he left and he shook my hand. I found it quite a moving moment. I decided to return direct to the library but luckily caught up with the others for the last stretch.


For the second part of the Walk On we gather in one of the meeting rooms to participate in a session on some book theme. First we make coffee. The librarians go to a great deal of trouble to make it interesting with book reviews, quizzes, participation, poems etc. This week the theme was murder! The book session is always fun and stimulating. On the way out I stop to view the annual exhibition of the local art club. Mostly mediocre, but it fills a void for many - I remembered going along to the club myself.


It was some time till my local bus left so I caught the X24 to St Andrews which entails a short walk home. More browsing on my phone!

It was a bit early for lunch so I did a few chores around the garden - weeding, harvesting lettuce and mange tout. On Tuesdays I run in the evening so my routine is a meal at mid-day with a light snack later. Today there was a veggie curry and rice left over which I reheated - delicious! I watched the 1pm news on the BBC then lay down on the bed and crashed out. Woke about a half hour later feeling rested.


After I retired early from teaching I found myself doing a small part job looking after about ten gardens in the village. At 65 I stopped most of them (several had died!) but continued with a few. Recently I had agreed to help out a disabled neighbour called Ross. His grass was ready for cutting so I walked down, knocked and entered. He was stretched out on his recliner. In his eighties, he has suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for sixty years. In spite of this he had competed in tractor ploughing competitions until recently. I had recently agreed to cut his small lawn and stopped to admire his Massey Ferguson in the garage as I fetched the lawnmower. The job didn’t take long and I declined the offer of payment. I thought that Ross puts to shame those of us that complain too much!


Then I cycled to Mary’s whose front garden I had reluctantly agreed to weed. To my surprise it was weed free so I was relieved. We chatted for a bit then I pedalled home.


I phoned my sister to chat about our mum. She has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and at 92 has done well to live independently in a small flat with minimal help. However I recently discovered she is getting muddled with her pills so we discussed possible strategies.


Then I spent some time in the garage finding some junk I could throw out and binned them. The afternoon was advancing so I relaxed for a bit with some TV while I had my snack - sourdough sandwiches with ham and salad followed by coffee with a scone that I’d made yesterday and homemade raspberry jam.


At around 5 pm Mandy came back from her part time work for a local charity working with dementia clients. It’s quite draining work and she is tired. We chat about how our days have gone.


For the past 30 years Tuesday has been my running night with Lomond Hill Runners. I set off about 6.15 and drive for about 15 miles through Glenrothes and Leslie to the picturesque village of Scotlandwell where King Robert the Bruce is supposed to have drunk from the well in an attempt to cure his leprosy. Numbers were down being the school holidays. Kat appeared and introduced her partner Robert but they had already run. Brian jumped out of his car and then Adrian and Dave appeared and finally Kerry. We catch up and discuss our plans for the run.


We set off at 6.45 up the steep track to the gate about half way to White Craig. We decide to head straight to the main top of Bishophill which involves cutting left along a traverse and then up through crags to the plateaux. The grass is lush and the views over Loch Leven and away to the higher hills are stunning. Three parascenders are riding the thermals above our heads.  Its hard work for me, having 10 years and more on the others but they are kind. We reach the top and we sit down for a rest and blether.  I persuade the three others to run further and Brian and I jog back through the maze of limestone quarries on the plateaux. We stop at the top of White Craig. Brian has to be home early so he heads down and I stop to take some photos when my pal Laurie appears from above. He tells me all about the tough overnight mountain marathon he has just done with his 14 year old granddaughter. Laurie has recently started working at Mandy’s work so we chat about that too.


Back at the cars we change and head along to the pub in Scotlandwell where we enjoy a well-earned pint and cheerful chat. On the way home the fish and chip shop in Leslie speaks to my stomach and I stop for a large portion of chips wrapped in paper. I drive to the end of the town and find a bench on the green to enjoy my greasy purchase. There is good music on the car radio which rounds off a great evening.


Mandy is still pottering in the garden when I return. She is still tired from a late return by train last night from a trip to Yorkshire to visit family and friends. We chat, watch some TV. I go up and have a long soak in the bath. I come down and pour a beer and I suspect her suspicions of chip consumption are confirmed when I don’t have anything to eat. (The wages of chips consumption turn out to be severe indigestion overnight!)


I let her go to bed, watch something on Netflix, check the doors, go upstairs, brush teeth and take my pills (lithium to stop me rhyming, blood pressure, cholesterol). On the way to bed I look out the window and shout to Mandy - come and see, a partial eclipse of the moon.

I sleep, I dream.....

 

Note:  This is another feeble attempt to address the question of ‘who are we?’ It is just what it ‘says on the tin,’ a truthful description of my day without any attempt to say what’s in my head - that would be way more difficult!  Many of us today lead insulated lives and we have little idea of even what our fellow creatures do, never-mind what they think. We construct intricate ‘stories’ of self so that we don’t even know who ‘we’ are. As for, ‘to see ourselves as others see us’ - no chance. Perhaps some of my fellow writers cafétiers might like to share a typical day and we’ll get to know each other better.

 

 

 

© 2019 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, what great activity! So envious, I am. Before I lost half my heart at age 43, I probably could've kept up with you, but now... no way. At least I got to tag along by reading these vivid details. Must admit I found it a bit comforting when you took that nap. (Ha! So he isn't Superman, after all!) And then your stomach was displeased by greasy chips. I hear you, brother. Oxygenated fat does terrible things to one's innards. Sorry, but I need to know about this pill that takes away your ability to rhyme. How now brown antelope?

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Ha ha -I'm still laughing. This day was a bit busier than most but I did just have the intention of .. read more



Reviews

You had to ask. Here's mine:
Riding The Bus In Waikiki
A typical ride home from work.

I once lived and worked in Honolulu and took the city bus home from work, usually about three am. I worked as a Computer Programmer at the time and would have to walk down Hotel Street to a bus stop. The bars would all be closed with a scattering of drunks along the sidewalks, most of them inspecting and talking to the hookers in a search for temporary, though pointless, companionship.

At the stop, I see a loud trio of sailors wearing dress whites on their way back to Pearl Harbor, and a sprinkling of others, including a lounge bouncer I know slightly, all waiting.

When the “Waikiki” bus arrives, the bouncer and I sit together in the nearly empty vehicle. His name is Ben and he was born and raised on the island. Ben is a native Hawaiian and stands about six foot three. He has a college degree in Political Science but prefers his job handling drunks in one of the GI bars downtown. He likes the action. He lives near me in Waikiki.

The bus turns onto Ala Moana Blvd. and we see the yachts at their moorings across from one of the local parks, with a large shopping center on the left. We turn right after crossing the Ala Wai canal and end up at the East end of Kuhio Avenue.

At first, on Kuhio, we pass a series of high rise hotels and condominiums. Later, we come to the red light district, my personal favorite. There begins about a quarter-mile of business girls walking and standing on both sides of the street. Here we see the most activity of the trip. A handful of uniformed police officers walk among the strollers and keep order. They also randomly inspect the papers of the working girls. The girls have to have valid medical papers, showing they aren't diseased. They also have to be dressed in a certain style, flashy. That way innocent tourist women aren't accosted, at least not very often.

The ladies also have to leave about five am. Years ago, the city tried to eliminate the strolls. Hotels and conference centers put up a fuss and the ladies stayed. Waikiki depends on them to lure male tourists to the city.

Finally, we come to my stop, near the western end of the street. I get out and walk north for a block, past one of the numerous ABC stores. One time I looked in a telephone book and counted about twenty of the little convenience stores in the Waikiki area alone, with many others around Honolulu.

I finally get to my apartment building and greet one of the male hookers soliciting outside the building. Out of the twenty-four apartments in my building only about three or four of us actually work for a living. The others consist of a handful of Social Security recipients, male hookers, and various illegal occupations, such as muggers. The female varieties live next door in a small highrise with their kids.
***
The area was considered one of the most dangerous in Waikiki. I liked the excitement and got along well with most of the residents. I tromped upstairs, had a couple of drinks and went to bed.

An average night for me.
Charlie [hvysmker]

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks for this Charlie. I'm frustrated that we remain largely anon on the Wc, particularly when don.. read more
hvysmker

4 Years Ago

I have a kind of violent past, Alan. I’ve never been to prison but have seen the insides of jails.. read more

You are an amazing guy Alan... You cram your days so full, I for one would never be able to compete or keep up with you... respect sir... but then you have had that for a long time now.... Neville

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Neville. I'm afraid I may have given the wrong impression here. It was a day in the life but .. read more
Neville

4 Years Ago


Ah' I dont feel quite the sloth I thought I had become... Enjoy that holiday mate and go wel.. read more
The best part of this is how you switch it up between the more mundane daily tasks & the more dynamic interludes of activity. I do a ton of reading & I love reading about real lives like this. It's amazing how much you are involved in, & like Sam, I feel woefully inadequate after reading this. I remember how I used to have my lifestyle packed to the hilt with a busy routine & your depiction conveys how having one's life wrapped up can be reassuring or less stressful. But now disability has forced me to learn to take life as it comes (bad days when I can barely do anything & good days when I do as much as I can). I can't decide whether to envy you your youthful energy & organization or just be glad I'm living the life that suits me now! *wink! wink!* I love how you are so open & uninhibited about your lifestyle & observations! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks again Margie. This day was perhaps a bit busier than most. All will change in a few months. M.. read more
barleygirl

4 Years Ago

I'm trippin out that it's the middle of September & we had only 3 days where it got into the 40*C ra.. read more
The "devil is in the details" as they say...

How you portray yourself and others in mundane circumstances is more telling than the "I'm-no-hero-anybody-woulda-done=the-same" events told in expensive, expansive and decisive strokes.

No, this is a candid photo: could have almost passed as "without your knowledge" but for your first person narrative! I see everyone you encountered, the physical attributes and ailments, how involved (how caring!) you and Mandy are in the primary and worrisome concerns of your neighbors and community, the sweet and silent-film era hues when the ambulance takes a wrong turn (the simplest things really were the funniest!). I could list each little piece that underscored what you successfully conveyed, but, honestly? I've been typing since 4:30 am this morning (it is now 6:05 pm here in Biloxi, Mississippi) and I've put in quite the first-day-back today.

Am happy to tell you I'm now honestly happy about the long list of your writing that's available for my perusal... at my convenience.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Great and thanks Carol - you've got my purpose in this exactly. Its part of my sharing 'who am I?' p.. read more
Wow, what a day! Makes me feel pathetic as I am only 48 and accomplish about that much over the course of a month. But if I over-do it, I end up in the hospital, so I stay quietly at home for the biggest part of the day. Being disabled sometimes sucks. But, upon your invitation to think about my own day, most days are good days. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life with us.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this sweetnutmeg. First of all this turned out a busy day for me and an average d.. read more
Now I thought originally you had been looking at my diary. Ex teacher, tick. Likes The Magus, tick, read it several times. Legs feeling crock when first get up, tick.Etc Etc. Then I got to tea, X and booze,X. Don't do that any more and then horror of horrors running. Definite x. Don't do that anymore either. Did do but mountains are too slopy up here.Then coffee,x Peppermint and nettle tea now. Just because I like it no other reason.
Anyway it was then I really started appreciating this life written. There are so many hooks for my to hang onto. So much to enjoy in this in this well written piece. Not least of which is that I'm not alone. Hurrah!

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Ken. That day was busier than normal so I fear I've given the wrong impression. We all live l.. read more
Wow, what great activity! So envious, I am. Before I lost half my heart at age 43, I probably could've kept up with you, but now... no way. At least I got to tag along by reading these vivid details. Must admit I found it a bit comforting when you took that nap. (Ha! So he isn't Superman, after all!) And then your stomach was displeased by greasy chips. I hear you, brother. Oxygenated fat does terrible things to one's innards. Sorry, but I need to know about this pill that takes away your ability to rhyme. How now brown antelope?

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Ha ha -I'm still laughing. This day was a bit busier than most but I did just have the intention of .. read more
No couch potato syndrome here then. My dad is 72 now, not ever so old nowadays and his mantra is, Stay active in mind and body and always appreciate each day.

Seems you are a kindred spirit alan.

Beccy.



Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

4 Years Ago

Thanks Beccy. It's good to get another perspective on my story. They say that age is in the mind an.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 17, 2019
Last Updated on November 30, 2019

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Resolution Resolution

A Story by alanwgraham


Dear Humans Dear Humans

A Poem by Hayley