24 Hours In Lockdown

24 Hours In Lockdown

A Story by alanwgraham
"

The church bell conducts my progress through a day of lockdown

"

24 Hours in Lockdown


The church bell tolls midnight …       

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……..

 

The church bell tolls one …

road choking - ambulances racing -  sirens screeching  - gowned medics swarming -  strapping me down  - masks and visors smothering - I scream

I wake, heart pounding, Mandy is shaking me. ‘You’ve had a bad dream’. ‘These nightmares never stop!’ She hugs me.

 

The church bell tolls two  ...

Wake. Need a pee. Stagger to the loo and click the light on. Glance across, beside the bath a mouse sits up, looking at me inquisitively. A fuss will waken Mandy and she’ll scream. I close the door - the wee mouse will escape by the same route.

 

The church bell tolls three ..

I return to complete my pee. I scream - the poor mouse is floating dead in the toilet pan.

Yes, I thought - ‘the best laid plans o’ mice and men gang aft agley (astray)

 

The church bell tolls four …

I feel a nudge, another. I rouse.

‘You’re snoring again.’ 

‘I can’t sleep.’

‘I was dreaming about that weather lady … you know, the one with the … the big … we were just about to …’ ‘about to what?’  She kicked me.

 

The church bell tolls five ..

Lying awake for too damn long - stomach, a pit of anxious roiling snakes.

Eyes closed, Mandy's slow, deep inhales and exhales

transport me to waves gently breaking on sun-kissed coral sand.

 

The church bell tolls six ..

I open an eye, the crack in the curtain unbroken blue again.

An unbroken covid month of  peaceful walks and bike rides.

A car passes, perhaps a nurse going 'over the top', again, for us.

The weather will soon break, will the lockdown?

Anyway - which day is this? Does it matter?

 

The church bell tolls seven …

Seven has always marked my permission to arise.

Downstairs a human shadow puppet crosses the sunlit blind.

I put on the kettle, open the curtains.

The tea is very good, I'll have another cup.


The church bell tolls eight …

I take the tea back to bed and read our latest book club ‘homework’ on the tablet, ‘Austerlitz’ by W.G. Sebold - perhaps not the ideal read in these times. It’s a story of memory recovered in traumatic times. I’ll not give the game away but the sense of impending doom is mesmeric. How will our troubles times be remembered?


The church bell tolls nine …

Breakfast of muesli with milk, shared banana (it’s funny how the bananas make it here from the Caribbean but we can only drive to the supermarket - just asking, Boris?), coffee, toast with marmalade, our friend Willie in the village bakes a hundred loaves and sells them from the garden on Saturdays.

 

The church bell tolls ten …

A horn sounds - the fish van parks in the drive and the neighbours congregate (socially isolating of course) for our weekly fresh fish - cash only I’m afraid so hand washing all round!  I think - isn’t there something in the bible about loaves and fishes feeding the 5000?

 

The church bell tolls eleven …

I sit in the garden with a coffee, watching a speckled thrush scurrying sated from our drought struck pond.

 

The church bell tolls twelve

Still in the garden, I squint up, blinded, by the sun at it’s zenith.  Its fate, (and ours?) the remorseless slide into darkness - but shall we rise again?


The church bell tolls one  ...

I switch the TV on for the news

‘The Prime Minister Boris Johnston and Carrie ….’

I click it off.

 

The church bell tolls two ...

Mandy and I set off for our daily exercise, We walk up our favourite den - the bluebells are coming in to flower - at the top we normally go through the gate, past the farm, admire the horses. There’s a homemade notice - CORONAVIRUS DANGER - THE PATH IS CLOSED

 

The church bell tolls three ...

I sit in the easy chair by the front window,

a snail moves along the edge of the old stone planter outside just a foot away.

I’m tired, I close my eyes.             

 

The church bell tolls four ...

I open my eyes. The snail has moved the length of my finger.

It observes me and thinks - he’s not moved at all!

 

The church bell tolls five ...

I chop some wood - it’s surprisingly addictive, gives good upper body exercise but not recommended for the over 70’s!  Like a virus, wood can be a wily adversary with its knots and gnarls. Recovering in my garden chair I suddenly realise I haven’t seen a vapour trail in a week. There’s hope for the planet yet!  

 

The church bell tolls six  ...

Switch on the TV for the latest news

Boris returns today, chairing the daily press conference,

a rung above trump, but not the full ladder!

 

The church bell tolls seven ...

I spot the weary brown suitcase on the floor full of family photos

Yesterday I sat (socially distanced) with my mum outside her wee sheltered flat, looking back over 93 years. 

Her memories pin sharp from 70 years ago; but from 5 minutes before, a dense fog.

Perhaps my final link to precious family memories! A tear slips down my cheek.

 

The church bell tolls eight ...

The evenings still hold a chill. I set and light the wood burning stove. We watch some TV - it passes the time! Mandy has a small glass of wine, I have a beer with some crisps or nuts. Excessive alcohol consumption is tempting in testing times. I resist.   

 

The church bell tolls nine ...

I find that I can resist everything except temptation and have another beer.

 

The church bell tolls ten ...

The night is clear so we go out to follow dazzling Venus on its slow wander through the stars. I remember reading that Venus suffered in the past from a runaway greenhouse effect. Our own climate change has been, at least, paused by empty skies and furloughed factories.

 

The church bell tolls eleven ...

I go to lock the front door, have a last look out. All is quiet then I see a fox under the streetlights, brazenly taking ownership of the street. It looks back at me unfazed - ‘Your time has come!’

 

The church bell tolls midnight  ...

Another day begins. But what day is it - I haven’t a clue!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2020 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think they're all Sundays Alan, they certainly feel like Sundays.
We've been playing spot the human to pass the time on patrol, just shy of three hours is the record, but as to the wildlife, it's like they're having a rave.
I thought there was two owls in the trees near my house, but turns out there's a squadron of them. Something spooked them and i saw at least five of them freak out and leave for pastures new.
The squirrels are going nuts, appropriately, doing their mission impossible hijinks in the garden, and even a deer stopped by to stare me out, before sauntering off to do its deer stuff.
It's been nice, but due to the vivid dreams of late, i half expect apes on horseback to drop by for tea. That's when I'll be joining the owls.
Your words remind me of days we thought time was constant and we never had enough. Now... Well, there's only so many times you can fail to juggle bananas before realising it will never lead to a career. 😀
Was the weather girl shouting at you? All my dreams seem to have shouting involved.
Well, ive been up since two a. m.... So only another 18 hours or so to kill, before someone else shouts at me.
Thanks for letting me know it's the same for us all.
Now, I'll just have another coffee before seeing if I can juggle pots and pans... Hopefully the noise of me failing will scare whatever scared the owls 😀

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Thanks lorry for your witty reply. I think I was distracted by the weather woman juggling her banana.. read more



Reviews

Busy doing nothing for 24 packed hours; just a wonderful depiction of the effect this pesky little bug has had, and is still having.

So much to enjoy here Alan and I particularly liked the comparison between your total inactivity and that little Speedy Gonzalas of a snail. who was doubtless over the moon at winning a race for the first ever time. :))

Trust you are still gainfully filling the days.

Beccy.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Very kind of you to read this and for your kind comments. That seems a while ago now. We are being .. read more
Usually I don't read stories here but your writing style lured me to read this one. It is really great.Well, lockdown has been productive for me since I am preparing for entrance exam. But this COVID-19 stuff's really frustrating.
In the end, this story is one of my favorites!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Thanks for your kind comments Devansh. I'm glad you have got something positive out of lockdown and .. read more

Its the way ya tell em that makes your stories so captivating, well that.. and the fact that they are invariably credible, and always so entertaining with punch lines and unexpected twists any scribe would likely give their eye teeth to have writ... I am knackered at the moment and have got to go out in a tick so am going to refrain from trying to compose a witty or pseudo intellectual review comment.. it seems that several of our mutual buddies have already done a fine job .. All I really want to say Alan is that I am a real fan of your work and that '24 Hours in Lockdown' more than lived up to your usual high standard, I was not disappointed at all and chuckled so loud on a couple of occasions both the missus and pooch retired to the kitchen.. presumably having the wind put up em... Okay, I gotta go now but write on my friend and hey Stay both safe n well up there .. and if ya see Lorry on your travels say hi from me :)

Neville

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

I did enjoy writing this Neville and thanks for your kind words. The mouse story was exactly true bu.. read more
Neville

3 Years Ago


Ha.. you will be the death of me yet sir.... :)
Must admit after 3 months of this, days are just days and weeks are just weeks.
Most people have written off 2020 as a nightmare in the passing. 24 hour television is now the normal, birds are coming indoors for their bread cos I don't know if it's night or day. I would like to hear a bell tolling, keeps you sane, though Mandy might disagree.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Thanks Paul for taking hopefully less than a day to read this. I must admit that there have been big.. read more
Paul Bell

3 Years Ago

Yeah, I've managed to do all the jobs I swore I'd never do.
You will be pleased to hear Alan that your days are every bit as exhilarating as mine, and that includes waking on the hour throughout the night and having weird dreams. I too welcome the absence of planes. No noise or vapour trails overhead and the wildlife is beginning to get closer to us. A deer walked up my road the other morning. I have been here thirty seven years and not seen that before although the foxes do visit at night. Then I watch the news bulletins and get thoroughly depressed as the death toll rises each day. I wonder if we will be saying remember before covid. Or maybe after covid. As for what day of the week it is, I haven't got a clue. Each day is the same as the last. The highlight of the week is food shopping. I go out masked and gloved while the adrenalin is pumping. Everything is so weird. You taje good care of you and yours, and let's hope things start to improve soon.

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Many thanks Chris. It is very comforting to learn that we are sharing this experience in many ways b.. read more
I like this. In your seventies, are you? Welcome in the club. The bug is a real inconvenience both side of the Atlantic, then. Boris Johnson. Read his piece on Churchill. A man that writes a good book like that one can't be that bad. Beside that, I just know he got sick and recovered. Trump then. Wrote a bit about both covid 19 and the great man. Called it the bug. I wounder what the fox meant with his our time has come prediction. A bell that rings for each hour, days and nights? That's a lot of noise. No wonder you don't know what day it is. lol The wife and I are viewing the miniserie Shtisel. Yesterday, Kite picked up an accordion and played that piece. Can't stop listening to it: give it a try. https://youtu.be/qExgiuuvea4

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Thanks Jean. Not quite 70 yet. I just happened to hear our village bell ring and it triggered this. .. read more
I think all reading can agree - we are all living much the same days, just with tiny order changes.

Wonderfully written, and a real pleasure to read.

I must say that I have much the same response to news about the PM, his lover, and the newest spawn.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Thanks A. The write up is a bit of a mash up but more or less factual - is such a thing possible? I'.. read more
This is such a great description of what I think we're all going through now, no matter where in the world! I love how you describe a day in your life with the church bell tolls; little details matter and become more important when you're "locked up", so to speak; So your day is similar to mine; WAIT Which day is it anyway?? things you would never "normally" do, you seem to relish now! I love the "mouse in the toilet" (ouch) and you even get a bit of politics in there, mentioning Boris, just being a hair better than our DESPOT!!! Great poem (I'm just finishing one about my city- NY) Fondly, Betty

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

It great to know that we all understand each other better. The mouse story was exactly true but from.. read more
Betty Hermelee

3 Years Ago

Okay, will be up momentito!
I think they're all Sundays Alan, they certainly feel like Sundays.
We've been playing spot the human to pass the time on patrol, just shy of three hours is the record, but as to the wildlife, it's like they're having a rave.
I thought there was two owls in the trees near my house, but turns out there's a squadron of them. Something spooked them and i saw at least five of them freak out and leave for pastures new.
The squirrels are going nuts, appropriately, doing their mission impossible hijinks in the garden, and even a deer stopped by to stare me out, before sauntering off to do its deer stuff.
It's been nice, but due to the vivid dreams of late, i half expect apes on horseback to drop by for tea. That's when I'll be joining the owls.
Your words remind me of days we thought time was constant and we never had enough. Now... Well, there's only so many times you can fail to juggle bananas before realising it will never lead to a career. 😀
Was the weather girl shouting at you? All my dreams seem to have shouting involved.
Well, ive been up since two a. m.... So only another 18 hours or so to kill, before someone else shouts at me.
Thanks for letting me know it's the same for us all.
Now, I'll just have another coffee before seeing if I can juggle pots and pans... Hopefully the noise of me failing will scare whatever scared the owls 😀

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

3 Years Ago

Thanks lorry for your witty reply. I think I was distracted by the weather woman juggling her banana.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 2, 2020
Last Updated on May 2, 2020

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Heartache Heartache

A Poem by Gee