You Can Be Like Us

You Can Be Like Us

A Story by Exa Lectric

You can be like us.

Only, you can't. Only a few can get there, but they'll hold on as if its the only thing that matters, otherwise,it wouldn't be called the elite. But I think it should be called equal.

How soon the ones in charge forget the ones who elected them. They should act for the country, not for their piggy banks. Intelligence is supposed to run our country, and all I see are the greed driven lunatics shaking their heads "no" when Daddy tries to give them peas instead of pizza. "There are starving children elsewhere;" he'll say. They'll pout and reply "then feed those kids!" But Daddy doesn't raise ill-mannered children and they'll have to sit at the table until they eat their peas, even if it takes all night. So why won't Daddy do this for our country? I think he's trying to.

Congress is too busy shaking their heads at anything anyone else says, stopping any progress of our nation. The president can't actually make congress sit in stuffy rooms without bathroom or electronic game access until they agree on something, but if he could, we'd probably be better off than we are now. Or maybe, this whole mess would have never started anyways.

You see, my mom has this white faux velvet chair in our living room. It's been there my whole life. It has swooping arms and a high back with a green and purple blanket she knit draped over it. The reason I mention this, on that chair is an embroidered pillow. That pillow says "money is the root of all evil" and now I know what that means.

If the greed of those in charge didn't exist, there would be few, if any, homeless, unemployed people. There would be more support to help them get back on their feet, and less people would turn their noses at the less fortunate.

Government is like childhood all over again. We started with the kid who won't eat his peas, who starves the rest of the country, and graduated to high school. This world may be far in the past for some, but its exactly the same. If you don't have the same shoes, or an expensive car or purse, they'll look down on you. Don't get me wrong, it goes the other way too. The poorer kids get up in arms at the ones who are well off, but we can't choose who our parents are. We can't change what leaders of the country have done in the past, but we can change the future and make it better.

If the generation of government that exists today can't or won't do anything. Fine. Our generation will. It's not like social security will last long enough for us to retire, so we might as well do something with our lives. You know, it's funny how those in charge can't see the problems, or won't admit to them, but the young people can and are determined to.

You can be like us, only you can't. But why would we want to? I, personally, don't want half a country to hate me.

© 2013 Exa Lectric


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
Added on January 21, 2013
Last Updated on January 21, 2013