Twenty-Two

Twenty-Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted

Kellen sat down on his throne, enjoying being back at his kingdom. He was well aware that his fey could taste the pain that wrapped around him like a cloak but he was already a master at keeping his expression composed, no matter the circumstance.

“Kellen,” Philip got his attention, “you have a guest. Scarlet wants to speak with you, should I have the guards send her away?”

He debated a moment.

It must be important for her to come here.

Not many light faeries would risk coming to the Dark Empire, but the more he thought about Scarlet the more her visit didn’t surprise him.

She’s close with most of my dark faeries.

“Let her in, but clear out the room. I want to talk to her alone.”

Philip nodded and let her in. 

She was smiling nefariously as she sauntered forward out of the shadows. Her red hair billowed around her even with the absence of breeze.

He straightened up, “What do you want?”

“Kellen,” she said sweetly, “you don’t have to pretend with me. I know you’re in pain because of her and I feel sorry for you. But we all knew it was going to happen. She doesn’t understand you. You need someone strong,” with each word she moved closer to him until she was at his side and whispered in his ear, “like me.”

“You’re still a light faerie, no different than Darby,” his throat felt dry as he spoke her name.

“I don’t need love, I don’t want love. I just want you.”

“You need love, you are a light faerie no matter what darkness you may possess deep in your soul. Is there a reason for your visit?” He demanded brusquely.

I can’t deal with her right now.

“Now don’t snap at me,” she said patiently, sitting down cross legged in front of his throne, “I know your light faerie is still weighing you down and I’m sure it hurts you that she’s taken comfort with her king,” she said the last part like it was nothing, flipping her hair over her shoulder when she did.

He stopped, “She’s with Seth?”

All the fake confidence that he had mustered and was holding onto for dear life crumpled. There was nothing to fall back on.

Scarlet went on, ignoring his input, “But deep down you knew that was going to happen too. That she’d go to him and he would love her. Every touch, kiss, and word that she once shared with you can now be returned. Don’t you want that? Her happiness, even at your expense?”

He closed his eyes as images of her flashed through his mind. Each one a painful blow that kept reopening scars he had so carefully concealed, now open for the whole world to see.

“Stop!” He ordered.

A smirk played on her lips, “Now for why I’m here. I couldn’t help but notice how much your pour empire has crumbled since Darby left. With you mourning, your power is disintegrating,” she motioned with her hands, “while the Light King grows stronger every time he sees her.”

He was stunned but forced out, “The Dark Empire doesn’t concern you.”

She smiled and changed the subject, “You know, I must admit, I think Sorus may have made a mistake in deciding my empire. I am not a light faerie in my heart, any light I had is gone.”

She killed whatever light was in her.

“I’m one of yours and you can’t deny it. You can change me, and you will, because I can get you what you want.”

No one can get me that.

“Power,” she hissed.

He had to admit that that did sound appealing. He was skeptical, yet intrigued by her confidence and willingness.

“You’ll give me more power if I change you?” He clarified, his eyes searching for lies in her face. Upon seeing none his lips twitched upwards into a small smile.

“Exactly,” she grinned.

He sat back in his chair, “We’ll see after you tell me what you’re thinking.”

She threw her head back as she laughed, “I don’t think so, Dark King, not until I get what I want. I won’t be cheated, not this time.”

He appraised her and wondered how easily it would be to seduce her.

She’s strong. . . but that’s not going to be enough. Just a kiss could do it, get her to tell me so than I can reward her.

He leaned forward and tugged her to him. She came willingly to his side and he pushed his mouth against hers. Pleased that he was able to distract her without becoming addicted himself.

She chuckled, “Kellen, you’re going to have to do better than that.”

He glowered, “You have my word that I will change you, now tell me.”

She didn’t let him escape, she pulled him down to her and one word escaped her lips in an insane giggle, “War.”

He didn’t move from her grasp.

War. A simple solution, why didn’t I think of it before? My fey would be up for it.

He looked into her shady brown eyes, “Do you think it could work?”

“Of course. The Light King is to preoccupied with Darby to see it coming. If you do a swift attack on the Light Kingdom we could destroy them all.”

Anticipation boiled through him and he relished the feeling. He was about to agree when some unknown force stopped his speech and said instead, “No. They have to be aware, we will do this right.”

What the hell was that? 

Scarlet eyed him a moment, just as taken aback as he was, “Alright, but our advantage won’t be as big.”

He looked away and suddenly his voice came back to him, “I’ll announce it to the fey.”

He was about to stand when she gripped his arm, “You can do that later, now you have to take care of me.”

“I already promised what I would do for you.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about,” she said, her fingers sliding under the robe’s sleeves, “right now I want you.”

An image from his memory flooded his vision.

“I figured that if we were. . . dating you shouldn’t be sleeping with anyone,” Darby had mumbled.

He found the worry to be amusing but responded, “Trust me, you’re the only girl in my life right now.”

It’s not true, not anymore.

He shook his head. “I can’t,” he moved away from her.

“Why not?” She questioned pugnaciously, “It’s not like your light faerie will mind,” she laughed.

“How many times have Scarlet and you gotten together?” Darby asked.

“More than a few,” he admitted.

“I mind,” he growled.

She gazed at him and that violated him more than her touch. “You never used to. She changed you, didn’t she? Made you weak, but you didn’t care, you thought it was a good thing. After all, it was what she wanted. Well, now you’re on the verge of losing everything, you have to care. With me, you’ll be whole again, stronger than you have ever been.”

“Don’t leave me,” he begged.

She wouldn’t look at him. “You’ll find someone. You always do.”

He tried to change her mind. “I won’t. You leave me and I’m going to wake up alone.”

Scarlet kept talking, “Are you really going to be this way? A stupid pathetic mortal man? Look at the changes that she made, she made you mortal again,” she sneered, “you need to get over her, she is never coming back to you.”

Every insult punctured him but he still refused to budge.

I made a promise. The least I owe her is to keep my promise.

“I’m sorry, but I won’t. I will keep my word on your change but nothing more. Please leave.”

“I know you will,” she told him, her manner returning back to the gentle, flirtatious,  easy tone, “she is no reason to punish yourself.”

“Goodbye Scarlet,” he opened the door for her.

“Soon, you won’t be able to say that, my King,” she kissed his cheek on the way out.

He didn’t respond, he had to much to think about.

A war. This one to the death, no more Seth, the light empire will be demolished, I’ll be the only faerie king. And I will take Darby back, turn her dark so we can spend eternity forever. She won’t feel love, there will be no problem. Why didn’t I do that in the first place?

He tried to push the thought of Darby dark out of his mind. He didn’t want to admit it, but the image of her dark terrified him. 

With the love absent, it wouldn’t be her. And she may not even take the change well.

That was the part the scared him the worst, if he went through all of this and still lost her.

I can learn to like the loveless Darby, it’s better than death anyhow.

Though Seth’s death pleased him enough. They both felt the tension for centuries now but were to cowardice to do anything to end it. 

Not anymore.

There was no denying the cruelty of that act and he knew that he would have a tough time talking to Sorus after it was finished.

But that’s the way of the Dark Empire, the way of the Dark King.



© 2011 allieverwanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

201 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

allieverwanted
allieverwanted

Elmira, OR



About
I'm Aliya and I am sixteen. Writing is my passion and I plan on becoming a published author someday. I have written six books (mind you only three of them are any good) and am working on my sevent.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by allieverwanted


Two Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted