Thirty-Two

Thirty-Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted

“I think she’s starting to come around.”

That was the first sentence that Darby was able to wrap her mind around through her comatose. Her eyelids fluttered open to see both kings staring at her.

What a sight to wake up to.

Kellen closed his eyes and mumbled in relief, “Thank Sorus.”

Seth just smiled and kissed her gently.

“What happened?” Darby asked, trying to lift herself into a sitting position.

Kellen chuckled as Seth stated calmly, “You got shot.”

As he said that she felt a spasm in her chest making her catch her breath and lie back against the pillows. She winced and gave him a worried look, “Where exactly?”

“Love, your breasts are fine, you got shot just below the collarbone,” Kellen spoke up with a smirk.

She blushed, “I wasn’t really concerned with that, but thanks for the heads up.” Her fingers lightly traced over the scar under the sheets. She cringed at the ugly puckered line, she didn’t think she could ever show that part of her body to anyone again without a sense of shame.

But I’m alive.

“Does it hurt?” Seth inquired, “I could get you something for the pain.” 

“I’m fine,” she assured, not exactly answering his question.

No need to get him all riled up.

He nodded and murmured, “I was so scared that you were. . .” he choked on his last words, “I love you, Darby.”

She ignored Kellen who bore his eyes into her, “I love you, too.”

He kissed her once more and Kellen interrupted, “You can do that later.”

Seth glowered at him and Darby found herself changing the subject. “Who won?”

“No one yet,” Seth replied breezily, “the Dark Empire retreated.”

Darby raised an eyebrow, “Retreat? That doesn’t sound like something the Dark King would do.”

Kellen cleared his throat, “Well, I wasn’t quite able to call the shots at that point in time. That was all Philip.”

“You’re getting quite lazy,” she commented.

He rolled his eyes, “Darling it had nothing to do with being lazy, I was being restrained.”

“Restrained?” She stifled her giggle, “who would try to subdue the Dark King?”

“After you got shot I wasn’t very. . . pleasant.”

Seth snorted at the understatement.

“Why?” She prompted, “Isn’t killing me the goal?”

Both king’s countenance's darkened and Kellen forced out of his clenched jaw, “I was livid. I erupted at Scarlet-”

“Scarlet?” Darby asked in confusion.

“She’s the one that shot you,” Seth informed her wearily.

“Oh,” her tone went flat.

“Yeah,” Kellen muttered, tightening his fist before taking a breath and releasing the grip, “Philip tried to calm me down; it didn’t work.”

Darby instantly sensed he wasn’t telling her everything, “What did you do?” She demanded.

“I kind of punched him. . .” he trailed off.

“Kellen! Violence is never the answer!” She exclaimed, ignoring the fact that they were all fighting in a war to the death. “I hope he punched you back!”

He laughed in amusement, “Relax, Darby, it wasn’t hard. It was just enough to remind him who was in charge.”

“He better get you back for that somehow,” she scowled, “you’re such a jack a*s.”

“I know,” he smiled, “Anyway, are we going to reschedule a first battle?”

“Can’t we wait until after Darby recovers?” Seth suggested, kissing her fingers.

“Of course not!” Kellen was flabbergasted, “you can’t just manipulate war to fit into your schedule. And besides, that would take away the drama of it all.”

“Ugh, the last thing we need is drama,” Darby complained.

“I still can’t believe Sunshine allowed you to come,” Kellen shook his head in disbelief, “the chance of you getting hurt was huge, and he just let you walk all over him. Seth, you positively amaze me.”

“Hey, leave Seth out of it,” Darby interjected before Seth had a chance to defend himself, “I wanted to go. And I would have found a way to be there. Even if it meant I was going to fight.”

Kellen looked away, occupied by some far off thought.

Seth turned back to her, “He’s right, I shouldn’t have let you go with me, it was way to dangerous. I mean, you almost died.”

“Since when do you listen to the Dark King? I am getting so tired of you guys bitching to me about my safety,” she folded her arms and instantly cringed at the pain. Then she realized that in her condition no one was going to take her seriously.

And as if to illustrate her thought Kellen snorted, “Darling, you aren’t the best person to talk about safety. Don’t forget the incident at the Celebration of Life with David, safety doesn’t seem to want to cooperate with you.”

Seth’s face was hidden in her hair but she could tell he was laughing.

“You should really quit with the pet names,” She advised pointedly, “I don’t belong to you, and it really wouldn’t do to have the Light Queen being sweet talked by the enemy.”

Pain flashed across Kellen’s features and she instantly wanted to take it back, or explain, something to get that look from his eyes. But in a second it disappeared and he said coldly, “Light queen, so it’s official now?”

“It always was,” Seth kissed her cheek, “we just didn’t realize it.”

He didn’t respond.

“So, the names need to stop,” she repeated, “you don’t want to make my king territorial.”

It’s hard to stay angry when he uses the tender words that once belonged to me. It has to stop.

“I could easily take sunshine, no problem,” Kellen laughed, but she could detect the edge to his voice.

“Says the man who retreated,” she smiled.

“That wasn’t my fault!” But he mirrored her teasing smile.

“Uh-huh, sure. You just knew you were going to lose to the ‘ray of sunshine,’ admit it.”

“I’ll give you this one because you’re injured, but I’ll convince you somehow,” he promised.

She laughed and then cried out from the pain.

Kellen reached for her first, stroking her arm. He caught himself and pulled away as Seth held her hand and moved her hair behind her ear.

“Let me get you something,” he mumbled, turning towards the table and receiving  a cup.

“I’m okay,” Darby repeated, “really.”

“Drink,” Seth told her, handing her the cup. And when she didn’t take it sighed, “humor me?”

Reluctantly she took it. The liquid in the cup was white and almost milky in texture. Giving Seth one last look of distaste she sipped it, surprising herself that it wasn’t anything like the cough medicine experience she was expecting.

“Tastes like vanilla,” she commented, drinking more.

Seth nodded, “One of our healers specialties. It helps us recover from the dark faeries darkness infused bullets.”

“The bullets are darkness infused?” 

“As are your bullets with light,” Kellen added.

“Huh,” she said, downing the rest of the cup and leaning back again.

“Better?” Seth questioned.

“Yeah, just don’t make me laugh again,” she stuck her tongue out at a snickering Kellen.

“You sure you don’t want us to leave so you can rest?” Seth checked.

“No!” She rejected so fast it almost sent another wave of torment crashing over her.

The thought of being alone now seems torturous.

“Maybe it’s a good idea,” Kellen voiced, noticing how she paled.

“It most definitely is not!” She argued, “One more chance? Please?”

Seth pursed his lips as Kellen chuckled, “You sure are determined. You must have given Seth hell to get him to take you along to the first battle.”

She laid back down, taking the response as a yes, “I don’t think I gave him hell, did I?” She looked at Seth.

Seth smiled and kissed her forehead, “No, it made you happy. And I want to keep you happy.”

Darby giggled and kissed his fingers. Then she raised an eyebrow at Kellen, “See?”

Kellen rolled his eyes.

“Well,” she grinned at the kings, “occupy me.”

“I don’t think so, love, I’m not an entertainer whose meaning in life is to satisfy all your desires,” Kellen sat back in his chair and pulled out a beer bottle from his jacket.

Darby looked at him distastefully, “You’ve taken up drinking as a past time, I see.”

He shrugged and took a gulp.

Shuddering she focused back on Seth.

“How would you like to be entertained?” He asked with a wink.

“Kiss me,” she murmured.

“Well if I knew that was an option,” Kellen grumbled in the background.

They ignored his input and Seth gently pressed his lips against hers.

Something sparked in her body and the ache numbed until she barely noticed it.

Must be the light. . .

“Ti amo,” she breathed.

“Now let’s not forget I’m here,” Kellen interjected.

“Why would we want to do that?” Seth muttered dryly.

Darby felt more guilty. It wasn’t Kellen’s fault he was the Dark King, and even if he accepted it didn’t mean that she wanted to flaunt Seth and her ability to love in his face. But maybe he shouldn’t have been here right now.

“Speaking of which,” she began, “why are you here?”

“You make that sound like my presence is a bad thing,” he laughed.

“Isn’t it?’ Annoyance colored Seth’s voice.

“Fine,” Kellen sat up straight, “I’ll tell you why I’m here.” He moved closer to Darby and looked into her eyes. “I had an epiphany.”

“Oh?” She said intrigued.

“Darby, I love you.”

She stared at him in disbelief, her cheeks coloring at the cruel trick. But then the impact of his words settled nicely in her mouth as she tasted his truth, and the heavenly aroma of love that he had concealed until this moment.

He loves me. Kellen. The Dark King loves me.

“Since when?!” Seth burst out in surprise and anger.

“Since Sorus helped me break the rules,” Kellen spared Seth a glance before focusing back on Darby.

“You had Sorus’ help?” Seth’s features were an array of confusion and hurt, “Why would he do that?”

“To end the war,” he said like it was simple logic.

Kellen loves me. It’s what I’ve always wanted.

Now the attention was focused on her.

Dread replaced Darby’s newfound hope as she prayed for an easy way to do what she needed to do next. “Kellen,” she said softly, “I loved you, I still do and perhaps always will. But, our love came to late. I’m the Light Queen, Seth’s. I can’t leave it all behind because you suddenly discovered what you were looking for. I’m sorry.” She wanted to force her eyes in her lap, there was no way she could look at him without crying. But she was drawn to his eyes and it almost crushed her. “I’m sorry.” She repeated.

All the bravado was absent from Kellen’s face as he stared at her, taking it all in. After a moment he nodded, “I understand. It’s to late. But I’m not sorry I tried.” He stood up. “I’ll let you go. But take care, and have a quick recovery.” he kissed her cheek. “I need you to stay safe, love.”

And then he was gone. 

Darby’s heart overwhelmed her, begging her to run after him and kiss him, hold him, tell him that she had been waiting for him and those words. But she cut that part of herself off, and although her heart wept, she didn’t move.

When she felt Seth’s eyes on her she reached out a hand to stroke his face, forcing a smile. Though she knew he wouldn’t buy it, her hand was shaking.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered.

“Kiss me,” she told him.

He didn’t object. Being careful not to injure her anymore, he leaned into her. And the taste of him was all she could hold onto. She pressed herself against him harder, paying no mind to her screaming injury or the desire that longed for it to be darkness and not lightness filling up her body.

Seth let her go and didn’t meet her eyes, “I think you need some rest.”

She wanted to argue, but she couldn’t speak.

He kissed her forehead and got up.

“I love you,” she called out to him before he was out of ear shot.

He turned around and gave her a sad smile, “I know you do.”



© 2011 allieverwanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

allieverwanted
allieverwanted

Elmira, OR



About
I'm Aliya and I am sixteen. Writing is my passion and I plan on becoming a published author someday. I have written six books (mind you only three of them are any good) and am working on my sevent.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by allieverwanted


Two Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted