Thirty-Five

Thirty-Five

A Chapter by allieverwanted

“Darby?” Philip asked her in a hushed voice.

She looked up at him and his breath caught. “Yes?”

He was stunned a moment. “Wow. . . Darby, look at yourself.” He handed her a mirror.

She stared into her reflection with disbelief.

This isn’t me. . . she’s too beautiful. . .

But she could see parts of herself within this gorgeous stranger. Her face had paled significantly which made her eyes stand out even more. They weren’t black like Kellen’s or deep brown like they used to be, but like a late night sky with all the stars absent. Even her hair darkened considerably. There was no sign of light that used to occupy her features, and nothing that looked remotely human about her. 

The most noticeable and breath taking difference was her tattoo. Entwined with the black curves and vines was the midnight blue of Kellen’s color, forever bonding him with her. 

“You are pure royalty, Dark Queen,” Philip bowed down.

Darby was at a loss, “Thank you. But I’m not the queen yet,” she reminded him with a tiny smile.

“Soon enough,” he told her.

She blushed. “May I see Kellen?”

“Whatever you wish, your highness.”

That’s going to get old really fast.

She stood up, surprising herself by not even being a bit queasy. “Will he be awake?”

“He should. Just be careful with him, he may not realize it nor admit it, but he needs to take it easy for awhile.”

She giggled and promised, “I’ll only be a minute.”

He nodded, and opened the door for her.

Kellen didn’t move from the bench as the door shut behind her and she walked up to him. 

His eyes were closed but feeling her presence they opened and widened as he took her in. “Beautiful,” he murmured, his voice slightly slurred.

She kissed him delicately, trying not to tire him more. “You’re so brave, my King.”

He opened his mouth to speak but no words came out.

She smiled and put his head in her lap, stroking his hair out of his face, “I love you.”

He weakly took hold of her fingers and brought them to his lips.

Her wings brushed against his face and she noticed that they also had wispy lines of blue through them. “Hmm,” she mused, “now I’m undeniably yours.”

Kellen’s mouth twitched up in a smile and his eyes sparkled.

“I thought you would like that,” she mumbled, kissing his forehead. 

“Can you. . .” his voice started off strong, only to falter and turn raspy. He scowled at his lack of vocality.

“Can I what?” She urged gently.

“Feed me?” he whispered.

Darby eyes connected with his, and she shared some of her most passionate and treasured memories of emotions. Each one making him stronger until he could sit up enough to lean against her.

“Better?” She kissed his cheek.

“Much,” he gave her a tired grin.

“You were absolutely fearless,” she told him.

“It didn’t hurt you, did it?”

“Not at all. I wish it did though, so you didn’t have to deal with it.”

“No,” he shook his head, “you aren’t strong enough to take it.”

“I am now.”

He chuckled ominously. “Darling, you have no idea, it was. . . I’ve never felt anything like it.” He winced as his voice grew tense.

“Do you want me to go? You need rest and we can have this argument some other time when you have a chance at winning,” she meant it jokingly, but his sudden pain was reminding her of Philip’s words.

“Love, I don’t want you to leave my side.”

She looked at him closely, “You’re showing a lot of vulnerability.”

“I know,” he laughed wearily, “and I don’t care anymore, things are different now. I need you with me and I don’t want you to move.”

“I won’t leave.”

Kellen closed his eyes, “Thank you.”

“I love you.”

He rested his head against her shoulder. “I love you, too.”

They sat there in silence and Darby thought that he had fallen asleep when suddenly he says, “I want us to speak to Seth.”

She paused, she wasn’t sure if she could face him now. “Why? What do you need to talk to him about?”

“He needs to know about you being the Dark Queen and that I’m withdrawing from the war. . . if he allows a truce.”

She nodded. “We can do that if you want.”

“It’s not really about wanting, I’m kind of obligated to.”

“How decent of you.”

“We will have to wait until you become my queen,” he lined the tattoo on her arm with his nail.

She smiled. “Which will be?”

He kissed her, “As soon as I can stand.”

She kissed him back, forgetting for a moment how weak he was and when she pulled away he was breathing hard. “I can’t wait.”

“This is where we’ll spend a lot of the time,” Kellen explained to Darby as they entered the grand room.

“Wow!” She gasped, walking in awe and gazing all around her.

The round room was the center of the castle, and the obsidian walls and floor surrounded the room and left a smaller opening in the ceiling to let the full moon and the stars in. The natural light mixed with the hanging chandeliers gave the room a romantic haze which reflected onto the ruby thrones that sparkled from the far end of the room. 

“Do you like it?” Kellen asked nervously, still standing by the door.

What kind of question is that?

She laughed and took him into her arms. “It’s perfect.”

“Your new home,” his face broke into a smile.

Our new home,” she corrected him.

He chuckled. “Of course, how could I forget?” He then slid down onto one knee, “Darby Antonella, I love you more than my own life, more than the kingdom, more than anything. I want you to be mine forever, will you be my Dark Queen?” He pulled out an onyx ring laced with rubies.

Darby’s eyes teared up, she couldn’t believe after all that happened it was leading her up to this moment. Beaming and crying, she nodded her head, “Yes, yes, of course.”

Kellen smiled and placed the ring on her finger before kissing her.

She hugged him close to her, “I love you.”

“For the Queen of darkness you sure are expressive,” he teased, kissing the top of her head.

“That’s okay, I’ll teach you.”

“And then we will teach it to our empire,” he said.

“But first,” she began.

“Can’t that wait, can’t everything wait,” he picked her up, and sat her down in one of the thrones, “can’t we just be together?”

He kissed down her face and Darby had to make an effort to say, “We have eternity together. Besides, you may get sick of me.”

Kellen gave her a doubtful look before going back to kissing her.

“We have business to take care of,” she reminded him.

“Love, we’re the monarchs, we decide whether or not we have business to take care of.”

“It was your idea.”

He paused and glowered, “I don’t think so, I wouldn’t have had an idea that would complicate spending such valuable time not pleasuring you in every way possible.”

She pushed him off and met his eyes, “We need to talk to Seth.”



© 2011 allieverwanted


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

203 Views
Added on October 10, 2011
Last Updated on October 10, 2011


Author

allieverwanted
allieverwanted

Elmira, OR



About
I'm Aliya and I am sixteen. Writing is my passion and I plan on becoming a published author someday. I have written six books (mind you only three of them are any good) and am working on my sevent.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by allieverwanted


Two Two

A Chapter by allieverwanted