Footnotes

Footnotes

A Poem by Laz K.

Before I came into this world, She was.

A midwife at my birth, She wiped me clean

Of blood and tears with Her long red hair as She

Sang soothing lullabies, baptizing me with

Fiery kisses in Her own dark and holy name.

In my childhood, I fended for myself like a lamb

Among wolves in the wilderness that this world is,

While She watched from a distance, disguised as

The rays of the summer sun, or as the song of

Birds that the eyes cannot see, but whose flutter

Fills the soul with hope.

After thirteen long winters, She came back

With the warm winds of spring, greeting me like a

Stranger but one who has the air of a distant relative,

Or, that of godmother that one was never introduced to.

She was a gypsy caravan all on Her own:

Bonfires, crystal balls, drunkenness, wild dances,

Milky Way smiles and eyes dark as a moonless night.

She was also the truth in every old wives’ tale

About children kidnapped and sold

Never believed, though often told.

“A dream,” they say, “Poets’ fancy,” but

What do they know, oh, what do they know?

The chains She has around innocent hearts

Are invisible to the crowds and their vulgar arts.

She steals the kisses you kiss; the pleasure you

Measure out in smoky motel rooms is but Her treasure.

The softest whispers you breathe are all Hers too, and

So is every feeling that in your captive heart stirs.

We’re the hydrogen to Her sun, the miners in Her quarry,

The heroes, villains, killers, and weeping victims in

Love’s never-ending story.

© 2022 Laz K.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I found this poem pretty interesting. I do like the idea of gypsys, tramps and thieves, as Cher sang of...
Reminds me of an outcast woman...a cast away infant...they have each other. She raises him, he loves her for that and doesn't care how everyone looks at her...like she is a Mary Magdalene...
and I see the tears metaphorically that the baby is covered in...the blood and tears of the mother who cannot keep the child, has to give him up...
this took me different places which I like.
If a poem is too specific...then it might tell a story but not allow for interpretation.
Stories when written have to be more concrete...but even those are more fun when left to the imagination.
Give me Liberty or give me a poem that teases my brain and makes me see with my imagination.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Laz K.

1 Year Ago

Thank you, j. I am often tempted to offer some explanation to go along with the poem, but an open-mi.. read more



Reviews

I really like this poem. The comments it drew are almost as interesting as the poetry. Like Jacob I enjoy a work that gives me scope to imagine meanings and symbols that fit my own peculiar notions. This one did and I appreciate it and its author. BTW thanks for not prescribing a meaning in some footnote; I hate that.
Jay's comment is Jay being Jay - a lot of oyster for a small pearl, but it's in there and if you chew and don't swallow whole you can find it.
Thanks for your splendid work.

Posted 1 Year Ago


I found this poem pretty interesting. I do like the idea of gypsys, tramps and thieves, as Cher sang of...
Reminds me of an outcast woman...a cast away infant...they have each other. She raises him, he loves her for that and doesn't care how everyone looks at her...like she is a Mary Magdalene...
and I see the tears metaphorically that the baby is covered in...the blood and tears of the mother who cannot keep the child, has to give him up...
this took me different places which I like.
If a poem is too specific...then it might tell a story but not allow for interpretation.
Stories when written have to be more concrete...but even those are more fun when left to the imagination.
Give me Liberty or give me a poem that teases my brain and makes me see with my imagination.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Laz K.

1 Year Ago

Thank you, j. I am often tempted to offer some explanation to go along with the poem, but an open-mi.. read more
• She wiped me clean Of blood and tears with Her long red hair as She Sang soothing lullabies, baptizing me with Fiery kisses in Her own dark and holy name.

So an unnamed “she” Used her hair instead of a towel, or cloth, to wipe “tears and blood,” that were on an unknown speaker, of unknown age (It's not child. Why would a baby be covered in blood or tears?). And at the same time that she’s wiping, she’s singing, AND, passionately kissing…and, she has a “dark and holy name?” So…what’s the subject of the sentence?

She’s either extremely multitalented or you didn’t edit all that well.

You talk about this unknown she, and you have intent for who/what she is. Great for you, but the reader can’t read your mind.

So…always do your editing from the chair of as reader, who has none of your intent for the meaning and none of the backstory you have that provides the context the reader.


Posted 1 Year Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Laz K.

1 Year Ago

"Why would a baby be covered in blood or tears?" When a human baby is born, he/she is in fact bloody.. read more
JayG

1 Year Ago

• When a human baby is born, he/she is in fact bloody, bruised, and is crying.

Naaa.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 23, 2022
Last Updated on June 23, 2022

Author

Laz K.
Laz K.

Hungary



About
I make stories, and they make me. more..

Writing
Free Free

A Poem by Laz K.


Firefly Firefly

A Poem by Laz K.