The Photograph

The Photograph

A Story by allie_arrowz

Good morning, Lena. Yikes, the grass is still dewy, oh well. Do you like the flowers? I thought you would, daisies have always been your favorite. So, I brought a few photos, I thought you might want to see them. Let’s see here….oh, ha ha, this one’s cute. It’s from the first time we hung out, remember? You didn’t want me to take the picture, but I didn’t care, you looked too cute with all that ketchup around your stud pierced lips. Those hot dogs were surprisingly delicious, considering the hygiene of the man who sold them to us. Off fifth, right? Anyways you called the picture “repulsive” and said your spiky white hair was “out of order”, what order would that be?

What’s next here…oh, my 22nd birthday, you, Garret and I hanging out at Todd’s Bar. That was a great birthday. I mean, Garret and I went there every weekend but you were there that time so it was special. Remember what you got me, love? A pocket sized unicorn. You got me a unicorn, for my 22nd male birthday. I guess that’s a college student’s budget for you. We all thought it was hilarious anyway.

This one is of you in front of the art gala you dragged me to. You look gorgeous, in your black combat boots and plaid jacket. You looked gorgeous no matter what you wore. That gala was surprisingly cool, like almost everything you showed me, surprising. I mean, I wasn’t expecting nudes but I walked in and there was an old man’s birthday suit in my face. Why is it always old men who volunteer for nudes? Nobody wants to see that. Well, I don’t at least. But that place had some redeeming qualities, you were there.

Here’s a good one of just the two of us, our first real date as a couple. Do you remember, Lena girl? You took it while we were sitting in the booth at Melano’s. Man, I can smell that pizza right now, with those roasted peppers on top…delicious! That was such a great night. It was the night we sat on your apartment steps and just talked for hours, and you told me things you’d never told me before. You told me about what your dad did to you, all those years ago. Hearing about someone hurting you made me so angry. Did you know that? After you told me, I felt very protective of you. I’ve never felt quite so protective of someone, but you, you just didn’t deserve it. I remember counting the freckles on your cheek while you talked, amazed by your skin’s glow under the street lights.

Hold on, my love, I have to take this call really fast.
Hello?
Yeah.
Yeah, I’m with her.
Yeah, okay.
Okay, bye.

Garret has called me like three times in the last two days. He keeps just asking me what I’m doing. He says he’s worried about me but I don’t know why, everything is fine.

What’s next? Ah, the boardwalk. Man that was a fun trip. Look at you, all dressed in black. We were at a beach for Christ’s sake! Oh well, you had to rep Every Time I Die. Remember that huge roller coaster we went on? Okay well maybe it wasn’t huge, but it was the biggest scariest thing I have ever seen! You weren’t scared at all. You had your hands up the whole time. Of course, I threw up after. I think it was the fried Twinkies.

Aw, my Lena. I love this picture. Garrett caught us sneaking a kiss in front of his apartment. I think this is the only picture of us being intimate, you were never much into PDA. You’re so beautiful, you know that? I could spend the rest of my life just kissing your pink lips.

Here’s the last one, most recent, too, on your dad’s boat. Just you, leaning against the railing, with your eyes closed and letting the wind hit you. Remember the first time I saw your eyes, my love? I mean really saw them, without all that black stuff on them. I was shocked by how clear and blue they were, like beautiful sea-glass.

Oh my Lena, my love, my heart. You are my world, you know that? Even though you don’t live in it anymore, you are. I close my eyes and I see you. I see your big gorgeous smile. I hear your voice inside my head all day long. I lie in bed at night and replay our memories together, it’s the only way I can fall asleep anymore. I wake up and wish to see you next to me, but I never do. I pray to God every day asking him to wake me up from this nightmare, and to bring you back to me, but he never does. It takes all that I have to get out of bed and go to work every morning. I just stare at the clocks while I’m there. The only time I see my friends is when they come visit me, asking how I am, what I’ve been up to, if I have met anyone special lately. How dare they? It’s only been a year. How could they expect me to even think about loving anyone else? My heart is completely yours. My heart is buried in the ground.

Well, I better get going now love. I’m supposed to be having dinner with Garrett tonight. I leave the flowers leaned up like this, okay? Aw, my pants have grass stains, oh well. I’ll see you Wednesday, my love. Goodbye for now.

© 2012 allie_arrowz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like using the photo and the good conversation in the story. Good when people can really talk. Life is simple. Good friends and needed laughter. I like the complete story. I like the way you ended the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Dear allie_arrowz,

The memories are vivid, yet short and sweet. I really enjoyed the characterization brought on by the pictures of the girl that died. She was uniquely portrayed and just the little stuff made the story seem so authentic like the white hair and the clothes she wore and the things she liked and how she felt about PDA. I loved how you made it seem like the narrator is still talking to her even after she has passed.

I also enjoyed the description like the smell of the pizza, the setting with the grass, and the flowers. The details were distinct and comical too.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely Victorious

God bless

Posted 11 Years Ago


i like this. the cut and paste of memories took me a little while to put together the pieces. a reflection of you and me.......i like the way you put it together though........

Posted 11 Years Ago


I dug the dialogue in this--flowed well and felt natural. Interesting writing style.

Posted 11 Years Ago


allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

thanks :)
I liked this a lot. I'm trying to rack my head around if Lena is bedridden or not and the narrator is visiting in the hospital or something like that. The dialogue really tells the story here. Good work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

hes at her grave
I like using the photo and the good conversation in the story. Good when people can really talk. Life is simple. Good friends and needed laughter. I like the complete story. I like the way you ended the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good use of monologue and decent foreshadowing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Descriptive , good dialogue . Good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

allie_arrowz

11 Years Ago

thanks moon

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 2, 2012
Last Updated on September 2, 2012
Tags: flowers, sad, happy, rememberance


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..