MY COLLEGE APPLICATION ESSAY (BIG DEAL)

MY COLLEGE APPLICATION ESSAY (BIG DEAL)

A Story by Alyssa
"

MY ESSAY PROMPT: Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

"

            When I was introduced to the legendary pages of Harry Potter, it brought me through a whole new world of magic and possibilities. However, it is the role in how love plays a part in igniting the flame of inner strength, and how complex the story was told that interested me. This is the world of one fearless, impulsive, and struggling human being with so much love to give, Harry James Potter.

            Harry James Potter is the most intriguing character I have ever met. Although I have never fought a dragon, a massive Basilisk, or three headed dog, I connect with him and understand him even though my life hasn’t contained any of the issues or situations he had confronted. Harry Potter goes from an orphan living unhappily in his aunt and uncles home, to destroying the wizard world’s most evil predator that ever existed. After shockingly discovering he is a wizard and is to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, he also finds that his fate is tied with the evil Lord Voldemort, whom he battles continuously throughout his school life with help from his two best friends, Ron and Hermione. Harry finds himself in many inner battles within himself, two out of the many he goes through are loss and betrayal. An example of this was when one of his teachers, Professor Snape, whom he thought was trusted, kills the Hogwarts Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, who he was close to and had always turned to for guidance. Even though Harry felt so, he was not alone in facing the challenges and obstacles presented by Lord Voldemort. But he did know he was the only one with the responsibility to ultimately finish him. Harry Potter’s life shows a variety of themes and lessons to utilize throughout our lives. We learn, just as he did through the series, the many concepts and battles for love and the power of that love. We also learn courage, strength, the value of friendship, and having to step up when you are counted on to do so. Harry knew that he held something Voldemort would never have, and it was something worth fighting for.

            One of the most significant ways this extraordinary character has influenced me is how he displays the power of love. Harry Potter’s parents died to protect him, and with that Harry is risking so much when standing up to Voldemort. Countless times he protected not only his loved ones, but the whole wizard world. Harry Potter had so many who cared about him, and without that he wouldn’t have been strong enough to destroy Voldemort. An example of this would be his best friends, Ron and Hermione, who sacrificed themselves in the last installment when going to look for the pieces of Voldemort’s soul, called horcruxes, with Harry. They could’ve been hunted and killed at any second. Hermione was tortured at one point, and Ron got massive burns. Through all that, they still stood by Harry’s side and helped him. This made me very grateful towards my loved ones who support and motivate me to follow my dreams and accomplish my goals. One time in my life when I was struggling was when I was trying to get my drivers license. It was exhausting to fail and fail again, and my confidence and strength was waring me down. Their support, however, really kept me going and eventually I passed proudly. None of it would have been triumphing enough if I didn’t have someone to celebrate with. Harry Potter showed me love is the most powerful thing in this world. It makes me do crazy things, and it serves as my backbone in desperate times. I would do anything to fight for it if someone was trying to pull what I loved away from me, just as Voldemort tried to possess Harry of evil and hate.

            Another great influence I had was finding my imagination and creativity. The story of Harry Potter is very deep and dark for someone at a young age. However, this helped me broaden my thinking and challenge my thoughts. Harry Potter’s life is like a tangled web; I had to challenge my mind to unravel everything and figure out the solutions with Harry. I feel as if Harry Potter brought me to think more outside the box. I found myself pondering, “what if?” I don’t remember thinking with this much imagination until I read this series. One instant that made me think this way was the climaxing end of the last book, Harry finds out that he, himself is a horcrux, and in order to destroy Voldemort, all the horcruxes must be destroyed because they each contain a part of Voldemort‘s soul. So Harry walks to his death, into the forest where Voldemort kills him in the end. But through love, he later comes back to life. I was blown away by this. This made me someone who loves to read and has stirred a passion to express my imagination in writing. I have been writing stories and experimenting with my creativity ever since. It’s something I would be very satisfied in doing for a living, and I am exerting myself into that area when I start college in fall 2o11.

            Harry Potter as a person and his remarkable story will live on within me forever. I want to live with the same inner power as he had, and never back down when there is a challenge on the path of success. I will remain a fan of that teenaged boy with the jet black hair, bright green eyes, those circular glasses, and that lighting bolt scar on his forehead that represents the meaning for his whole journey. With that I thank you, Harry Potter, for your motivating influence on my life.

 

© 2010 Alyssa


Author's Note

Alyssa
PLEASE give your insight and feedback, this is for college and my future, I need all the advice on grammar/structure/wording/etc. input from anyone to make this the best essay it can be and its main goal is to make colleges want to accept me!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wasn't expecting Harry Potter to be the one figure that has influenced your life over the years but having just only seen the movies and having never read the books at all, I can still understand and see your ultimate point as to why you did truly choose Harry in the end. It makes sense with all the examples you gave in your essay. Harry was the kind of guy that wouldn't back down for nothing and would always seek out what was best for everyone involved. He wasn't afraid of anyone and many a times would stand up to anyone and especially to Who's Name I Dare Not Mention time and time again. Harry Potter was a smart young lad and would definately stand up for his friends and for those around him whenever such an opportunity presented itself. Even life itself was worth sacrificing in order to save his family and friends from evil. Love is a powerful weapon in the war against evil and those who wield it best are those whose victory is already assured before they even step into the dark cold valleys of the battlefield. Harry Potter was going to defeat the Dark Lord (even he himself knew it) and Mr. Potter definately wasn't going to have it any other way.

Beautifully well written CONGRATS !!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Alyssa

11 Years Ago

Wow thanks for all the feedback, means so much to me that you give your complete thoughr process and.. read more
17thWhitePrince

11 Years Ago

Haha well in this one It certainly was quite perfect indeed !!! =P
Lyss....I have to agree with lawrence, this essay blew me away!! I think it was awesome and you totally deserve to get into the college u want. And not just because of this essay but also because u r an amazing person. U were always a great friend and cousin (hahah Potter Harry remember). I'll never forget making all the Harry Potter skits (and other movies too). Love ya lots and wish u the best of luck at Burlington or wherever else you go

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow, this essay blew me away, and I have seen the harry potter series and you have done an excellent job, stay movtivated and keep writing, and I wish you well next fall.
LB

Posted 13 Years Ago


You are right dear ,influences these day..influences that shape our lives
reconstruct our mind and change the life we are living drastically
it opens horizens so huge to you..you see not only different views on power
and strength..but tells you about your weaknesses as well
and others strength weakness and dreams..you come to understand the world
here i differ a little ,though i wa not well acquanted with the Potter series ,but our readings consisted
of Giants literary figures ,Russian ,English,Irish,American
some of the wonderful talents,lived hundreds of years ago
still their words reverberate and sound high everywhere ,and all places
the written word ,will give you confidence wider vision
create dreams ,even help you make them come true
for you know well how to behave,in a cruel world thats gone mad
helps you keep sane,where all is really insanity around you
you know your way..while all are lost around you
you have like multiple visions that you can see
what others cannot..you probe into things no body could do
and if you make this a profession ,of writing
for me its a non profit business ,but will give you
all the satisfaction in the world,highly esteemed you are looked upon
and surely there is some benefit ,though not much in the end.
lovely write..

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 4, 2010
Last Updated on November 20, 2010

Author

Alyssa
Alyssa

Rochester, NY



About
more..

Writing
The Guard The Guard

A Poem by Alyssa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Arizona Rapture Arizona Rapture

A Story by Alyssa


Dear Life Dear Life

A Poem by Alyssa


Cafe Cafe

A Poem by QuietPoet